• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choosing between the Denon X8500H, X6700H, X4700H and X3700H (Updated)

Only the two denon flagships 8500 and a110 allow all channels to be individually disabled.
I saw elsewhere that the 3700 could disable amps in L+R and all amps modes (only these two modes), but not center etc... I want to confirm this information. Thanks

Golfx

Forum Donor
I saw elsewhere that the 3700 could disable amps in L+R and all amps modes (only these two modes), but not center etc... I want to confirm this information. Thanks

Correct. LR or preamp mode for all. Not center.

Macfox

Denon 4700 vs 3700 is primarily about Auro-3D. Many users are misinformed and don't understand you can use the Auro-3D on all stereo music and it sounds great if you have Front and Rear Height channels.

If you don't plan to have Front and Rear Height channels get the Denon 3700.
I also vastly prefer Auro3D to other upmixers when using traditional 5.1 or 7.1 configurations without height channels.

Well, more like sound quality through performance. After months of listening to internal external amperage w/ the 4700H / 6700H. I've come to an acoustical conclusion that over driving the pre-amp into post internal amps lacks a bit in performance clarity vs Emotiva external output amp. I've configured my sound system to perform off the charts, not just in power but fidelity and performance. All you need is a clean low volt pre-amp signal ( Lets say 1.1v not 1.4v -1.6v clip) and than you throw a Super Charged amp. Fully, and Independently - powered, cool running, high amp'd channels. Emotiva sitting waiting for a signal to drive it out of the park. I've heard the 6700H strain a bit at mid to peak DB's. What might be happening, pre-amp at some point, certain power points, peaks, distorts the output signal - @ the post amp stage output. The Emotiva yawns throughout the power curve, cleanly and firmly. Throughout the full frequency spectrum. I believe the point is not to over drive the pre-amp signal to attain a higher op-amp output. Have the external amp do the heavy lifting. Keeping the pre amp stage at bay. No other way I could explain it. I'm certain someone other then myself has a better, more technical explanation.

Another external amp example. Flash back, growing up, my father had an old chevy w/ AC Delco am/ fm radio. Sound was horrible. When I was able to drive, I added two sets of higher end speakers and I externally wired in a Radio Shack 80w car amp / equalizer combo. The AC Delco radio was now a shining star, pumping out great sound! Now imagine, I very clean AVR pre-amp signal through a high output amp? As I said before, beyond incredible sound. Past few months during COVID, I have enjoyed / along with my neighbors :D (no complaints yet) the pure direct acoustics of it all. And action Movies / surround sound send you jumping out of your couch :cool: No power processor shell games (as I call it) where the Denon processor tries to figure out where to divide 140 watts of power to the channels in need. The Emotiva has full power sitting, waiting on each channel, always. No processor shell games here. End result, amazing!

Denon 3700/4700 with Emotiva XPA-11 or Monolith 11
I was thinking of going with the Denon AVR-x3700H or X4700H and going all pre amp out with the Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 but as you guys know this unit has 3 amps at 300W at 8ohms and 9 amps at 65w in 8 ohms respectively. The 300 watt 8 ohms has an input sensitivity (for rated power; 8 Ohm load): 1.5 V. and Amir indicates to go below 1.4V. However, the other 8 amps are at a sensitivity of (for rated power; 8 Ohm load): 0.8 V (800 mV) which is great. So there is a compromise with the XPA-11 in terms of output power for the fronts and the surrounds and heights. Given what I have read at this forum, it sounds that a user that implements this system will only notice the difference with the fronts LRC and the others are par to what the internal 3700/4700/6700 would muster. Also a concern is the voltage of 1.5v LRC should be lower. I have ruled out the Monolith 11 as the 3 fronts has an even higher voltage on pre-outs at 1.6v only 200w at 8ohms full power according to their specs. Any suggestion or comments?

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
3700/4700 and 2CH purifi/Hypex is unbeatable versus 8500 (and more expensive)
I thought you said you had the purifi amp, evaluated it for 11 days, and return it to the seller since you didn't hear any improvement.
You also acknowledge that output voltage from the Denon pre-amp section (3700/4700) will not drive purifi amp to the full output without adding distortion. Am I wrong about all this?

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Denon 3700/4700 with Emotiva XPA-11 or Monolith 11
I was thinking of going with the Denon AVR-x3700H or X4700H and going all pre amp out with the Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 but as you guys know this unit has 3 amps at 300W at 8ohms and 9 amps at 65w in 8 ohms respectively. The 300 watt 8 ohms has an input sensitivity (for rated power; 8 Ohm load): 1.5 V. and Amir indicates to go below 1.4V. However, the other 8 amps are at a sensitivity of (for rated power; 8 Ohm load): 0.8 V (800 mV) which is great. So there is a compromise with the XPA-11 in terms of output power for the fronts and the surrounds and heights. Given what I have read at this forum, it sounds that a user that implements this system will only notice the difference with the fronts LRC and the others are par to what the internal 3700/4700/6700 would muster. Also a concern is the voltage of 1.5v LRC should be lower. I have ruled out the Monolith 11 as the 3 fronts has an even higher voltage on pre-outs at 1.6v only 200w at 8ohms full power according to their specs. Any suggestion or comments?

I am not sure if you misunderstood what Amir said about "..to go below 1.4 V...". Amir mentioned 1.4 V being the upper limit if you want SINAD to remain at the 96 to 100 dB and it is the case when preamp mode is not used.

If you are not concerned about SINAD dropping to 75 dB, that would still be as good as some AVRs, even AVPs, then the pre out voltage can be as high as 2 V, even up to 3 V but at the expense of further drop in SINAD. 75 dB SINAD would be -75 dB THD+N, that is about 0.0178%.

For preamp mode, SINAD won't deteriorate very much at 2 V or higher.

OP
B

bigguyca

Picture of the inside of the Denon/Marantz Adapter

Adapter provided by Denon/Marantz to solve 4k/120Hz HDMI 2.1 Issue - This issue affects the X3700H, X4700H and X6700H

Adapter - iPad Picture - 4M.jpg

dutchvc

So I had to wait forever for the 4700, and broke down and got athe 6700 instead because I could get it for the same price through distribution. My main question I have now is, when I ran the audessy setup, it switched my mains (Klipsch ksp400's) to small and they have the built in subs and I want to run them full range. So as a result, it's not sounding as full as it should be, because I had my sub crossed over on it at 80hz. Recommendations here?

Macfox

So I had to wait forever for the 4700, and broke down and got athe 6700 instead because I could get it for the same price through distribution. My main question I have now is, when I ran the audessy setup, it switched my mains (Klipsch ksp400's) to small and they have the built in subs and I want to run them full range. So as a result, it's not sounding as full as it should be, because I had my sub crossed over on it at 80hz. Recommendations here?
Manually adjust the crossover in the Audyssey app and see which sound you like best? You can store multiple profiles and send them to two different presets in your receiver. Switching for comparison is then made easy.

Golfx

Forum Donor
You can also go into denon setup just using ur remote , then choose speakers, then choose manual, then choose crossovers and just reset manually for comparison

Jbrunwa

With the MultiEQ app you can save multiple configurations. There are screens to set speakers to small or large and the crossover frequency and capability to send configurations to the AVR. You can also view the measured response for each speaker.

dutchvc

Thanks all! I saw that you can have different profiles, but wasn't sure how to switch between them, and wasn't sure if when I manually do the profiles if it's selecting them or do I turn Audessy off and then select them? Forgie the ignorance, things have changed quite a bit since my 2013 integra!!

Bear123

Have you considered adding a 2nd sub and measuring with REW in order to ensure you have a good quality response? Typically, this works better than trying to achieve this with the woofers that are in the main speakers, which most often cannot be placed optimally for the best quality bass. Even if you do end up using the "subs" included in the speakers, measuring will ensure you don't end up worse than not using them.

dutchvc

Have you considered adding a 2nd sub and measuring with REW in order to ensure you have a good quality response? Typically, this works better than trying to achieve this with the woofers that are in the main speakers, which most often cannot be placed optimally for the best quality bass. Even if you do end up using the "subs" included in the speakers, measuring will ensure you don't end up worse than not using them.
Previous to getting the receiver, the sub response was phenomenal. I was very content with the bass response the way my integra was set up. I'm sure it will get back to being that way, I just have to dial everything in correctly. Plus, as I'm in an apartment, my setup right now is ridiculous overkill anyhow, and wouldn't really have room for a second sub. The two in the main speakers I'm not running as dedicated subs, just fill range. I'm looking forward to getting things correct. Dunkirk sounded pretty amazing in 7.1.2 even though the speakers weren't correctly set up to my liking.
Will be measuring more etc this evening.

Bear123

Previous to getting the receiver, the sub response was phenomenal. I was very content with the bass response the way my integra was set up. I'm sure it will get back to being that way, I just have to dial everything in correctly. Plus, as I'm in an apartment, my setup right now is ridiculous overkill anyhow, and wouldn't really have room for a second sub. The two in the main speakers I'm not running as dedicated subs, just fill range. I'm looking forward to getting things correct. Dunkirk sounded pretty amazing in 7.1.2 even though the speakers weren't correctly set up to my liking.
Will be measuring more etc this evening.
Nice. At moderate levels that the speakers can handle(how large are the woofers that will be playing full range?), having three sources for low bass(L, R, one sub) might end up optimal! And since you are in an apt its not like you'll be asking for reference level playback.

Top Bottom