• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choosing between the Denon X8500H, X6700H, X4700H and X3700H (Updated)

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was under the assumption that It was either all amps on or no amps on with pre-amp mode on the 8500h and not channel by channel
No, the X8500 is the only Denon/Marantz model that allows you to individually disconnect whichever channels you want. Ironically the preamp mode on the X8500 tested as broken as it clips at just .64 v. There is no need to ever use this mode on the X8500 since you can individually turn off amps with the custom amp assign of the X8500.
Edit: Denon does not explain this very well, but in the online manual it shows a preamplifier mode and also a “custom mode”.
Link
http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX8500H/NA/EN/DRDZSYasydxfyy.php#DRDZMLszglcatr
“The internal amplifier of this unit is assigned as desired.“
No further explanation or screenshots etc but it is there and it does work great.

Last edited:

Lucca Venturelli

I,d like some help from you guys. I have a 7.1.4 klipsch set up, with rp6000f, 600c, 600m surrounds. To power them I can afford the x4700 + parasound 52+ amp (together $1k more than just x8500) or the x8500 alone. The 4700 + parasound (5x180) would sound better?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I,d like some help from you guys. I have a 7.1.4 klipsch set up, with rp6000f, 600c, 600m surrounds. To power them I can afford the x4700 + parasound 52+ amp (together $1k more than just x8500) or the x8500 alone. The 4700 + parasound (5x180) would sound better?
Not an expert and I’m sure others will chime in...My 2 cents
-Klipsch speakers are sensitive and don’t require much power. I think the spec is 96 on your mains. I believe they often over state their specs, but even if they are 91-93 they should be very easy to drive. I wouldn’t think you would need an external amp with either
-If you want a better quality (vs quantity) I looked at the specs located here and to me I’m not sure the quality will be better than the internal amps. It has a lot more power but not sure if you would need that with your speakers.
-If you have an inclination to go 13 channels get the x8500, or if you would like any other features it has like dialogue enhance, or the ability to disconnect the amps on a channel by channel basis for best performance.
-If you don’t need any of the features of the x8500 I would get the x4700 and use it without external amps (You can always add an amp later).
I have the x8500, don’t listen all that loud (around -10max on the master volume) but Some my revel speakers sensitivity is around 87. I don’t think I “need” an external amp but have been using a couple of hypex based nc252 amps Anyway ... I have been using them on just the LCR. I have been enjoying the results so far but if you asked me if I could pick it out in a blind test... not sure. But it is good peace of mind.

Last edited:

Lucca Venturelli

Not an expert and I’m sure others will chime in...My 2 cents
-Klipsch speakers are sensitive and don’t require much power. I think the spec is 96 on your mains. I believe they often over state their specs, but even if they are 91-93 they should be very easy to drive. I wouldn’t think you would need an external amp with either
-If you want a better quality (vs quantity) I looked at the specs located here and to me I’m not sure the quality will be better than the internal amps. It has a lot more power but not sure if you would need that with your speakers.
-If you have an inclination to go 13 channels get the x8500, or if you would like any other features it has like dialogue enhance, or the ability to disconnect the amps on a channel by channel basis for best performance.
-If you don’t need any of the features of the x8500 I would get the x4700 and use it without external amps (You can always add an amp later).
I have the x8500, don’t listen all that loud (around -10max on the master volume) but Some my revel speakers sensitivity is around 87. I don’t think I “need” an external amp but have been using a couple of hypex based nc252 amps Anyway ... I have been using them on just the LCR. I have been enjoying the results so far but if you asked me if I could pick it out in a blind test... not sure. But it is good peace of mind.
Thanks for your opinion, I’m currently with a marantz 5012 (100w ch) on 5.2.2, as I bought the speakers for 7.2.4, I did a test, bi amp my fronts and heard significant improvement, thats why I narrowed my choices between those.

Urgo

Forum Donor

It is true that the internal amplification of those you mentioned is sufficient for the size of the rooms and usual listening distances, and especially with sensitive speakers.
But moving 11 channels without external amplification is only possible with the Denon 6x00 and 8500. Another possibility is the Denon 4x00 with the appropriate external amplifier for the front L / R (or for more channels). The Denon 4700 with a good two channel hypex ncore amp can be priced somewhere between the Denon 6700 and the 8500.

You have to take into account the problem of the hdmi 2.1 in this year's models (4700 and 6700) and the solution that the brand finally offers.

If this does not matter to you, other novelties of this year may be interesting, such as having 2 configuration memories, or bluetooth transmission. With the 8500 I would not have these novelties, but in exchange I would have more channels, better construction, the possibility of individually disconnecting the channels if it were decided in the future to add external amplifiers, and the possibility of updating the hdmi board with a surcharge when solved the problem.

Regarding sound formats, you would get Auro 3d with all three models, but Dts-Pro is only available for the 6700 and 8500.

The differences in power between the 3 models would not be very significant, like the differences in sound that have already been mentioned. I don't think they are audible if you use the 4700 with an amplifier suitable for two or more channels and the 6700 or 8500 with its internal amplification, although here there is some discussion among the members of the forum, based on personal opinions.

It would be interesting if you measured the Marantz 8015 here, because it is another of your possibilities without needing more amplifiers, especially if you are a lover of the brand. In the Audioholics measurements it did not go badly.

I have an 8015, prior to the information of the disastrous hdmi 2.1, and the truth is that at the moment I am very satisfied, but I would prefer that it be measured in ASR and have objective data before recommending it.

Last edited:

Urgo

Forum Donor
In case it can help you, I come from a Denon 4306 bought in 2006, which amplified 7 channels, and with which I never had any problem. I currently have the same 7.1.4 speaker setup you intend.

Came to Marantz after faulty Denon x6700h capacitors, which was my first purchase.

Except for the sw, all the speakers are now powered by the Marantz, and they are slightly more demanding speakers, in a room close to 28m² and seated about 3.5m from the listening point.
The Marantz top has some differences with the Denon 6700, apart from the controversial hdam, its construction, the toroidal amplifier, or the 7.1 analog inputs, which the 8500 also has, but the rest of the Denons lack.

With the new 7.1 4 setup with height speakers, which I highly recommend, I have not had any power issues with the avr and all its amplification busy, and it is usually not possible to bring the volume above 60-70 / 90, it is not tolerable. I don't usually reach those levels, I don't like music that is too loud and usually I don't go above 40-50 depending on the source, which is already a considerable volume.

Without external amplification, both the Denon 6700 and 8500 - (or the Marantz 8015?) - are sure to be a good choice, more than enough for this type of speaker in a medium room. If you don't want external amplifiers at the moment.
Provide adequate ventilation for your receiver, I use fans to protect and extend the life of the electronics, although I have not really noticed problems of excessive heating with normal use.

Later you can try to amplify the front with some good boxes and have your own conclusions, I will probably do the same when I recover even if I do not see it necessary, difficult times ...

In the cloud a good class D without problems of noise, heat or space, a Purifi 1ET400A with 2 or 3 channels, very well valued here.

Last edited:

Lucca Venturelli

It is true that the internal amplification of those you mentioned is sufficient for the size of the rooms and usual listening distances, and especially with sensitive speakers.
But moving 11 channels without external amplification is only possible with the Denon 6x00 and 8500. Another possibility is the Denon 4x00 with the appropriate external amplifier for the front L / R (or for more channels). The Denon 4700 with a good two channel hypex ncore amp can be priced somewhere between the Denon 6700 and the 8500.

You have to take into account the problem of the hdmi 2.1 in this year's models (4700 and 6700) and the solution that the brand finally offers.

If this does not matter to you, other novelties of this year may be interesting, such as having 2 configuration memories, or bluetooth transmission. With the 8500 I would not have these novelties, but in exchange I would have more channels, better construction, the possibility of individually disconnecting the channels if it were decided in the future to add external amplifiers, and the possibility of updating the hdmi board with a surcharge when solved the problem.

Regarding sound formats, you would get Auro 3d with all three models, but Dts-Pro is only available for the 6700 and 8500.

The differences in power between the 3 models would not be very significant, like the differences in sound that have already been mentioned. I don't think they are audible if you use the 4700 with an amplifier suitable for two or more channels and the 6700 or 8500 with its internal amplification, although here there is some discussion among the members of the forum, based on personal opinions.

It would be interesting if you measured the Marantz 8015 here, because it is another of your possibilities without needing more amplifiers, especially if you are a lover of the brand. In the Audioholics measurements it did not go badly.

I have an 8015, prior to the information of the disastrous hdmi 2.1, and the truth is that at the moment I am very satisfied, but I would prefer that it be measured in ASR and have objective data before recommending it.
In case it can help you, I come from a Denon 4306 bought in 2006, which amplified 7 channels, and with which I never had any problem. I currently have the same 7.1.4 speaker setup you intend.

Came to Marantz after faulty Denon x6700h capacitors, which was my first purchase.

Except for the sw, all the speakers are now powered by the Marantz, and they are slightly more demanding speakers, in a room close to 28m² and seated about 3.5m from the listening point.
The Marantz top has some differences with the Denon 6700, apart from the controversial hdam, its construction, the toroidal amplifier, or the 7.1 analog inputs, which the 8500 also has, but the rest of the Denons lack.

With the new 7.1 4 setup with height speakers, which I highly recommend, I have not had any power issues with the avr and all its amplification busy, and it is usually not possible to bring the volume above 60-70 / 90, it is not tolerable. I don't usually reach those levels, I don't like music that is too loud and usually I don't go above 40-50 depending on the source, which is already a considerable volume.

Without external amplification, both the Denon 6700 and 8500 - (or the Marantz 8015?) - are sure to be a good choice, more than enough for this type of speaker in a medium room. If you don't want external amplifiers at the moment.
Provide adequate ventilation for your receiver, I use fans to protect and extend the life of the electronics, although I have not really noticed problems of excessive heating with normal use.

Later you can try to amplify the front with some good boxes and have your own conclusions, I will probably do the same when I recover even if I do not see it necessary, difficult times ...

In the cloud a good class D without problems of noise, heat or space, a Purifi 1ET400A with 2 or 3 channels, very well valued here.
Thank you Urgo, your review deffinetly is helping me to decide, I will probably chose the 8500, and if I feel the nee

Thanks a lot Urgo, deffinetly your review is helping me to decide. I’ll probably go for the 8500. It Will cost less for me now... and I guess it will make me happy
Thanks

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I did a test, bi amp my fronts and heard significant improvement, thats why I narrowed my choices between those.

That is amazing, but if you believe the "significant" improvement heard was real then that could be another reason to go for the X8500H because of its excellent amp assign flexibility and it does have 13 channels of power amp built in. Obviously if you want the 8K/HDMI2.1 then you should wait, otherwise the slightly outdated X8500H without the HDMI paid upgrade is, imo, a good choice if you can get a good discount on it.

Bello

I have a question pertaining eARC for my 6700H remote "Info / Option" GUI display buttons (should be the same for all X systems) . My new 8K TV w/ Samsung's "One Connect box" has a eARC port which I have connected to the 6700H - 8K eARC. I'm unable to GUI / OSD - display A/V streaming signals (Netflix 4K) when the remote Info/Option is used. eARC is bidirectional connection, carry's all of the A/V info for the x6700H to process display Info/Option on a TV. The only way I'm able to have Info / Option to display GUI / OSD on my TV is to direct connect a device (i,e, 4K BR player) to the 4K Denon HDMI input. I am then able to display / adjust Audio signals view video signal while watching movies on the fly. A bit frustrating when attempting to adjust channels during a streamed movie (Netflix) eARC'd back to my Denon. Monitor 1 / eARC a multi channel bidirectional display port should have the capacity to display Info / Options from a streamed signal input. Spoke with Denon support, escalated w/ no help!

All Denon / Samsung eARC options are set ON. eARC is fully operational except for the GUI / OSD. I'm only able to view info/options from the Denon Op-panel. Extremely frustrating!

Has anyone experienced this problem? Or have suggestions.

TA...

tonydeluce

Forum Donor
Also posted this on the AVR-x6700 review (updated) thread. Has anyone examined the power supplies in the 4700 vs 6700?

I bought the 6700 and plan to set it up early next week when all of my speakers arrive but the room the HT will be in is not very large and will not likely ever run more than a 5.1.4 or a 5.2.4 so the AVR-4700 could also be an option... But I thought I saw some youtube videos that I cannot find that highlighted the beefy 6700 power supply...

Last edited:

Golfx

Forum Donor
So I’m new to the forum. I been on a journey to upgrade my AV system stymied by COVID and now the wait for the hdmi 2.1 fix. After reading Amir’s reviews of AVRs and PREPROs I rejected my plan of buying any current or future Marantz AV8805. I am intrigued by the lure of Anthem’s new AV90 but it has now been delayed until mid Feb 21. Sigh. So I was curious what you all thought of me buying the new Denon AVR A110 and just shut off the internal amps and use it as a PREPRO? I’m currently using a 7.2.4 driven by a Marantz SR 8012 for surrounds and a Anthem MCA 325 for fronts and center. I would add the NAD CI 980 for the surrounds. Or should I wait for the AVM 90?

MaxTemp

So I’m new to the forum. I been on a journey to upgrade my AV system stymied by COVID and now the wait for the hdmi 2.1 fix. After reading Amir’s reviews of AVRs and PREPROs I rejected my plan of buying any current or future Marantz AV8805. I am intrigued by the lure of Anthem’s new AV90 but it has now been delayed until mid Feb 21. Sigh. So I was curious what you all thought of me buying the new Denon AVR A110 and just shut off the internal amps and use it as a PREPRO? I’m currently using a 7.2.4 driven by a Marantz SR 8012 for surrounds and a Anthem MCA 325 for fronts and center. I would add the NAD CI 980 for the surrounds. Or should I wait for the AVM 90?

It would be a waste to get the A110 and to only use it as a pre pro. Its basically a Denon x8500h and the advantage is to have the option of turning individual amps off. If everything is going to be off then might as well get a lower end Denon which works better when used as a pre pro. I would wait for the Anthem range and Amir might be able to get reviews in to give us objective data to make the decision easier.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The reasons to purchase the x8500..
-Want/Need 13 channels of processing
-Abilily to disconnect amps individually which is a great feature if you plan on using external amplification for some channels (using external amps on LCR and using internal amps for surrounds and/or atmos)
If you were going to go with all external amps and are doing 7.1.4, then the 3700/4700 would make more sense.

Golfx

Forum Donor
Thank you both for your thoughtful and experienced answers. They will have an influence on my eventual decisions. My initial thoughts for choosing the denon a110 (based on x8500 Amir review) were to acquire excellent SINAD from the DAC and what Amir would call good engineering hygiene (love that phrase). Release notes on the a110 all point to extra care being taken to boost sound quality and to add extra oversight to that implementation. Amir’s review also indicates substantial improvements once internal amps were disabled. So I reasoned if all were shut off all channels would have better SINAD. My reservations are that the a110 may or will contain the buggy HDMI 2.1 chip requiring inconvenient board replacement. It also isn’t a true separate PREPRO like the Anthem AVM90 would be. My reservations about the AVM90 are that it is untested by Amir (but likely will at least be acceptable), it doesn’t have auro 3d which I use for listening to music and will likely be buggy for first six months. The a110 becomes available Dec 18 at Crutchfield while the AVM90 appears delayed until Feb 21. I guess I’m just tired of waiting. My instinct says the a110 will measure well by Amir—likely better than less expensive Denons and perhaps the AVM90. Plus I’m familiar with Denon/Marantz systems and use HEOS exclusively for listening to amazon music hd at 24/96-192. AVM 90 has no internal way of listening to 24/96+ and will require a blue sound node 2i for that capability. So, I could wait and everything will sort out by summer of 21. But I’m bad at waiting. And, I have be schooled by years of reading that separates deliver better sound. But Amir has started to shatter that paradigm. Sigh. What to do?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you both for your thoughtful and experienced answers. They will have an influence on my eventual decisions. My initial thoughts for choosing the denon a110 (based on x8500 Amir review) were to acquire excellent SINAD from the DAC and what Amir would call good engineering hygiene (love that phrase). Release notes on the a110 all point to extra care being taken to boost sound quality and to add extra oversight to that implementation. Amir’s review also indicates substantial improvements once internal amps were disabled. So I reasoned if all were shut off all channels would have better SINAD. My reservations are that the a110 may or will contain the buggy HDMI 2.1 chip requiring inconvenient board replacement. It also isn’t a true separate PREPRO like the Anthem AVM90 would be. My reservations about the AVM90 are that it is untested by Amir (but likely will at least be acceptable), it doesn’t have auro 3d which I use for listening to music and will likely be buggy for first six months. The a110 becomes available Dec 18 at Crutchfield while the AVM90 appears delayed until Feb 21. I guess I’m just tired of waiting. My instinct says the a110 will measure well by Amir—likely better than less expensive Denons and perhaps the AVM90. Plus I’m familiar with Denon/Marantz systems and use HEOS exclusively for listening to amazon music hd at 24/96-192. AVM 90 has no internal way of listening to 24/96+ and will require a blue sound node 2i for that capability. So, I could wait and everything will sort out by summer of 21. But I’m bad at waiting. And, I have be schooled by years of reading that separates deliver better sound. But Amir has started to shatter that paradigm. Sigh. What to do?
I would get an x8500. It can be had for $3k or so for an open box and carry full manufacturers warranty. Use external amps on the front 3 or 5 channels and use internal amps on atmos or surrounds. Denon will be offering an HDM1 2.1 upgrade for a modest fee and when released I am sure it will have the hdmi bug fixed. This is what I am doing and it works very well. If I didn't go this route, and went with a full pre/pro I would go to the monoprice htp-1. Seems to be working well from reading user experiences, Sinad I believe of 103 I believe at 2.7V. There is some comfort in the Denon/Marantz models as they tend to just work which shouldn't be underestimated from reading issues of the various models out there.
Edit: Or even better get the A110 so Amir can measure it to see if Denon's efforts results in any better performance.

Last edited:

Golfx

Forum Donor
I like your last sentence a lot. I tend to buy only from Crutchfield because I lean heavily on their technical support people for unexplained glitches. I’m smart enough to set everything up but too old to remeber how I did it. They come in handy. I’m hoping the a110 will have revised HDMI 2.1 chip but it’s just hope.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like your last sentence a lot. I tend to buy only from Crutchfield because I lean heavily on their technical support people for unexplained glitches. I’m smart enough to set everything up but too old to remeber how I did it. They come in handy. I’m hoping the a110 will have revised HDMI 2.1 chip but it’s just hope.
If you do consider sending a unit to Amir, often times you can take advantage of the free shipping and have it sent directly to Amir for testing (arrange with him first of course). He would then ship it to you when complete at no cost to you. I have sent in 4-5 different things for review. It is always interseting.

Golfx

Forum Donor
That is a good idea. Always wondered how that worked. I will definitely do that if I buy the AVM 90. Anthem seems to have really bare bones instruction manuals compared to Denon. I also like Denon’s newer online manuals.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
By chance, anyone know if Audyssey can be applied to each zone? Currently it's pretty easy to find a Monolith 5 channel amp for same price (used) as a 3700H or new for a little less than a 4700H.

Obviously this isn't a direct comparison but my situation is a single source (HTPC) with Kef R3+sub in zone 1, Kali IN-8+sub in zone2 and LSR305+sub in zone 3. It's for 2 channel playback only, I doubt I will ever make a home theater. I don't even need the extra 3 channels, I just happened to catch the used 5ch for same cost as the 2 channel. Unfortunately I can't bi-amp the R3's - wiring is already in the walls.

Ive measured our typical volume around 83dB from 20ft so I don't think I really need the extra power - only 50W RMS per the various calculators. Overall distortion seems to be in the same ballpark when staying within spec:

https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/monoprice-monolith-7-channel-amplifier-review/3

Even accounting for published THD .08% Denon vs .03% Monolith, my room is entirely untreated stone/hardwood so masking will surely override that delta. And yes, it will stay that way due to WAF.

I believe correction would be far more useful but if it only applies to 1 zone the value proposition drops a bit. Checked the manual and google, but all I could find was this somewhat ambiguous audioholics quote suggesting it isn't possible on the 8500:

"though I still wish I could run Audyssey on Zone 2 and Zone 3 and have native Roon support!"

Not sure if that means there's no Audyssey on 2/3 or just no Audyssey on 2/3 when using roon.

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
By chance, anyone know if Audyssey can be applied to each zone? Currently it's pretty easy to find a Monolith 5 channel amp for same price (used) as a 3700H or new for a little less than a 4700H.

Obviously this isn't a direct comparison but my situation is a single source (HTPC) with Kef R3+sub in zone 1, Kali IN-8+sub in zone2 and LSR305+sub in zone 3. It's for 2 channel playback only, I doubt I will ever make a home theater. I don't even need the extra 3 channels, I just happened to catch the used 5ch for same cost as the 2 channel. Unfortunately I can't bi-amp the R3's - wiring is already in the walls.

Ive measured our typical volume around 83dB from 20ft so I don't think I really need the extra power - only 50W RMS per the various calculators. Overall distortion seems to be in the same ballpark when staying within spec:

https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/monoprice-monolith-7-channel-amplifier-review/3

Even accounting for published THD .08% Denon vs .03% Monolith, my room is entirely untreated stone/hardwood so masking will surely override that delta. And yes, it will stay that way due to WAF.

I believe correction would be far more useful but if it only applies to 1 zone the value proposition drops a bit. Checked the manual and google, but all I could find was this somewhat ambiguous audioholics quote suggesting it isn't possible on the 8500:

"though I still wish I could run Audyssey on Zone 2 and Zone 3 and have native Roon support!"

Not sure if that means there's no Audyssey on 2/3 or just no Audyssey on 2/3 when using roon.
No Audyssey on Zone 2/3. I have looked and I don’t think any AVRs/Processors provide this. I would like to be proven wrong, however.

Top Bottom