• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Choosing between Loxjie D10 and iFi Zen ?

kostaaa

Hello,

Which DAC would you recommend me for listening music for many hours (at low/mid volume) from an old PC (USB 2.0)?
I want to have more detailed but still warm "audiophile" sound. Now, with the on-board sound I hear every mouse movement and other strange noises.

The speakers are Altec Lansing CS21 and I use EqualizerAPO with many lines of code for different frequencies.....
I run Sine wave generator to hear where exactly to correct. Boosting the lows adds a lot of Harmonic Distortion/strange noises and reflects on other frequencies too.

In a small room but with very good Acoustic treatment, I can have nice bass definition (well absorbed sound, no booming) and a lot of details in mid/high.

I was about to order Asus Essence STX II but after reading many reviews here I changed my mind and started to look in another direction.

I'm wondering if there will a noticeable difference with these speakers. They have SNR 86 dBu.... is that means that I can't reach even CD quality no meter what DAC I will use? Maybe, I have to consider upgrade the electronics some day....

iFi Zen shows not so impressive results on Amir's tests (SINAD only 90 dB?!) but this guy makes me think:
Should I get the low noise power supply too? (+50 euros)

The Loxjie D10 have great results and as I understand, maybe it's the best sounding DAC with ES9038Q2M chip.
Also, it's cheaper.

Nobody talks about THD distribution.... I look at the graphs, if every next spike is lower and if a spike is "missing".

Any observetions from what you hear actually?

Cheers!

kostaaa

Do you think that I will have maximum performance on USB 2.0, if I get the Loxjie D10?
What about power it with 5V phone recharger using the "AUX Power"?

by the way, I'm now with Sound Blaster Audigy 4 (SNR 106).

Top Bottom