• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choosing between Denon X8500H, X6700H, X4700H and X3700H AVRs

Teletha

Hey!

Im new to AVRs and such, and im trying to find a AVR from Denon with hdmi 2.1 to go with my 5.1.2 Klipsch setup

The HDMI 2.1 Chip bug - Do we know if this is present on all the Denon's this year? Is there a fix yet? Should i wait? Since i do want a avr to give 4k@120 passthrough. I'am fine bypassing the problem by going from PC to TV and then using the eARC to the avr but i would like to have this as a temporarily method.

Feature wise is there anything worth between these for my setup?

I might add another pair of Klipsch R-41SA in the future. Is "Height" the output to use for the dolby atmos upfiring speaker? Can they be assigned for front and back dolby atmos speakers?

I'm thinking of the X3700H but i wonder if it can drive all the klipsch? Im guessing im all out of poweramp output to be able to add side surround if i use 2 pairs of R-41SA since it will all total up to 9. Not that it would be a dealbreaker for but a heads up only.

Also where do u connect the eARC from the TV to the AVR can't seem to find any info on it?

Setup:
LG CX TV
Klipsch SPL-150 Active Sub
Klipsch RP - 504C Center
Klipsch RP - 600 Front
Klipsch RP - 400 Rear
Klipsch R-41SA Front, Firing up
Logitech z906 Connected to Pre-amp for pc audio since the pc isn't orientated good for the AVR amped speakers.

Last edited:

dualimas

I can't tell you wich avr to get since I'm looking for one myself but what I can tell you is that another method of connecting AVR's to pc is by HDMI cable and then creating a mirror display in Nvidia. This lets you keep the original quality and framerate of your monitor/ tv as it looks like the chip malfunction isn't something that will be solved via softwareupdate

OP
Teletha

Teletha

im not sure if i know exactly what you mean do i use the tv or the avr as mirror source.
To mirror a display you need to have a source first which means i still would have to connect the tv to the pc since my other displays are 1080p and 1440p.
This makes me lose another hdmi on the gpu which i rather not waste since im running 5 monitors (with the tv) already.
Then i might as well use the eARC on the tv since i would only be using 2 ports on the tv and save a port on the gpu.
Denon said on they FAQ site that they are looking for a permanent fix so it sounds like they will fix it at some point whether it is a new unit or what not, it doesn't matter to me how they fix it, maybe a upgrade to the 2021 AVR.

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This has been pretty well covered here, there is very little (real, dB) power increase even going from the 3600/3700 all of the way up to the 8500.
You can look at Amirm's reviews of many of the 2019 and 2020 Denon AVRs to see how much power they actually have, and get a very easy apples-to-apples comparison.
However there is a massive price increase, which will buy you some nice external power amps. If you got the 3600/3700 and added a 2 channel amp for Front Left/right, or a 3 channel to add the center in there if you want. You'll have more total power than the 8500 with less price than maybe 4700 but definitely the 6700.
Maybe the only real reason to go higher up is feature content e.g. 4x00 get's you 3 zones, auro, 6700 get's 11 channels, 8500 get's 13 channel processing, etc. So pick based on features.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...8500h-x6700h-x4700h-and-x3700h-updated.15552/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...en-denon-x8500h-x4700h-and-x3700h-avrs.15413/

For my money, if I really want HDMI 2.1, no way am I getting the current crop of electronics with a 'guarantee' that everything will work out later. I definitely don't trust any of these companies nearly that much.

jefny

Denon is once again taking orders for the x3700h. I wonder if it has the hdmi 2.1 fix internally so you do not have to get the external box?

JohnF

OP
Teletha

Teletha

Denon is once again taking orders for the x3700h. I wonder if it has the hdmi 2.1 fix internally so you do not have to get the external box?

JohnF
there is no fix for the unit itself other than the free box u can get via warranty at denon. not sure on the specs on the box yet. So i dont know if it will passthrough dts-hd and stuff like that. But it is mostly for gaming so it will do the 4k 120hz and 8k 60hz. but since there only is 1 8k port its not to much hassle. If you can wait you should do so for next version ;)

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
For my money, if I really want HDMI 2.1, no way am I getting the current crop of electronics with a 'guarantee' that everything will work out later. I definitely don't trust any of these companies nearly that much.
I'm with you there, I've heard all the stories before, only to be taken back.

I know your Klipsch are somewhat high efficiency but it's always been my feeling to buy as much power as you can afford. Specially with an AVR where all the channels share a common power supply, more is better.
If you really feel hdmi 2.1 is something you need, I'd just hold off a little longer.

jefny

Several days ago I stopped by my local Best Buy (Westbury Long Island) to check on the availability of the Denon x3700H and was told it is coming in the very near future. When I asked about the hdmi 2.1 bug he stated unequivocally that it would be fixed in the new units. On another web site I read just the opposite. I am not sure what to believe but since I do no gaming and none of my equipment needs 2.1 maybe this is a non issue for me.

My intention is to use this Denon model as a pre amp for my 7.2 system (I have an old but still functioning Outlaw 770 amp (7 X 200 watts).

JohnF

OP
Teletha

Teletha

Several days ago I stopped by my local Best Buy (Westbury Long Island) to check on the availability of the Denon x3700H and was told it is coming in the very near future. When I asked about the hdmi 2.1 bug he stated unequivocally that it would be fixed in the new units. On another web site I read just the opposite. I am not sure what to believe but since I do no gaming and none of my equipment needs 2.1 maybe this is a non issue for me.

My intention is to use this Denon model as a pre amp for my 7.2 system (I have an old but still functioning Outlaw 770 amp (7 X 200 watts).

JohnF

To be sure I would contact denon if anyone knows their units best it should be them. If you don't need 2.1 then you don't need to worry since only the 2.1 devices are affected.

Jbrunwa

I just installed new AVR-X8500HA. It is replacing an AVR-X3700H, assuming that it works out. Both using preamp out for mains to the same external amp. Direct mode seems comparable, but I wonder if the Audyssey implementation is different between the models. The Bass seems night and day improved. I use MultiEQ app and the measured speaker distances, room response seems really close as compared to the saved configurations, and the selected speaker sizes and crossovers are the same, so as close to an apples to apples comparison as I can get. Even stereo mode with large mains and confirming no sound from the sub, the room bass correction sounds way better. I have to wait until later to run REW when nobody else is around.

amb86

I just installed new AVR-X8500HA. It is replacing an AVR-X3700H, assuming that it works out. Both using preamp out for mains to the same external amp. Direct mode seems comparable, but I wonder if the Audyssey implementation is different between the models. The Bass seems night and day improved. I use MultiEQ app and the measured speaker distances, room response seems really close as compared to the saved configurations, and the selected speaker sizes and crossovers are the same, so as close to an apples to apples comparison as I can get. Even stereo mode with large mains and confirming no sound from the sub, the room bass correction sounds way better. I have to wait until later to run REW when nobody else is around.
Hi Jbrunwa, did you also use the MultiEQ App to perform room correction back when you were using the x3700H? I too am pondering an upgrade but from x4700H to a better model.

GalZohar

The difference you hear is most likely due to a difference in your calibration (or a psychological difference), and not due to something in the hardware.

Top Bottom