• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choosing between Denon AVRX4700H and Marantz SR7015. What should I get?

gtoblerone

I have an LG C9 OLED TV with KEF Q-750 towers, Q-650 center, Q150 rears, KUBE12 sub, and Onkyo410 Atmos. I plan on adding maybe 2 more 150 side speakers.

I've borrowed my brothers Yamaha RXV579 last 2 months waiting for a receiver with HDMI 2.1 - anticipating PS5.

Usage:
50% movies/sports
30% music
20% video games

What wins?

Denon AVRX4700H OR Marantz SR7015?

Thanks!

DrJayDub

Get the Denon. Read Amir’s reviews of the Denon X3600H and Marantz SR6014 (2019 sister receivers). The Denon outperforms the Marantz in many of the tests he executed.

sbbii

Yeah but that was then and this is now. I’ve been loosely following AudioScienceReview for a while but just now took enough interest to join. What really piqued my interest was the dialog/collaboration with the Sound United engineers to dig into the Amir’s initial disdain for the X4700H and lead to something much better than the headless panther! I have a small Austin, TX integration company and I’d say if you have to get something now, the X4700H looks like an excellent choice. However, if you can hold off until he can put the SR7015 through the paces I’d do that so you’ll get a true apples to apples comparison.

I personally find it hard to believe that Sound United has allowed Marantz to take a direction that renders them sonically inferior to the Denon lineup, but stranger things have happened. I’ve been waiting on the SR7015 to be announced for a while and will get my hands on one as soon as I either have a buyer or enough extra $$$ to get one on accommodation. Either way, as soon as I get one I’m going to check and if nobody has loaned Amir a SR7015 to review I’ll part with it long enough for Amir to dig in and see how it stacks up!

I’ve been an aficionado most of my life and have always cringed when conglomerates started sucking up pedigreed audio companies like Denon and Marantz. But I’ve personally been impressed with the Sound United engineers I’ve worked with and the fact that they’re interested enough in Amir’s reviews of their equipment to reach out gives me renewed hope that they‘re a little more committed to preservation of the brand’s legacies than I thought.

OP
G

gtoblerone

Thank you both for your replies - I ended up going with the AVRX3700H as I don't know if the 4700/7015 warranted the extra money for that extra watt output with all channels driven. Ultimately I'm hoping that the team behind the 3600 was very much behind the 3700 this go around as well and can't wait to get my hands on it. Still waiting for my local store to confirm it has arrived.

atisvt99

Forum Donor
I Just did an install with the 3700 two weeks ago (I am also a custom integrator) and thus far, my customers and I have been very happy with the unit! Plenty of power in that unit!

DrewMcG

Forum Donor
I realize OP made his decision already. But I found it interesting that Phil Jones mentioned in a video (#3 of 3) I watched yesterday that Marantz upgraded the HDAM components of the 2020 model SR8015 over those used in the previous model ( SR8014?) to achieve lower distortion. He even flashed a slide showing the different distortion curves. And I realize that the SR7015 and its predecessor do not have same components, but the point is that you cannot nec. predict audio quality based on prior equivalent model.

Anterantz

Denon's excuse for the bad result is incredible. As the owner of an 8500h I do not like these derangements at all, it makes the company more inferior and it seems that they are lurching!

Fear gives me when they measure the 8500h!

by the way are the sinad of the preamp always measured? never measured with internal amplification?

We have many that do not use external stages and we would like to see if this data is the same.

regards

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Denon's excuse for the bad result is incredible. As the owner of an 8500h I do not like these derangements at all, it makes the company more inferior and it seems that they are lurching!

Fear gives me when they measure the 8500h!

by the way are the sinad of the preamp always measured? never measured with internal amplification?

We have many that do not use external stages and we would like to see if this data is the same.

regards

And after the measurements Amir just posted for the X6700H, which revealed there is a substandard capacitor put in the production models, seems best not to buy any Denon or Marantz model that has not been tested. who knows what he'll find in the next model?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...non-avr-x6700h-home-theater-avr-review.14902/

ELIOT CAPONE

Jestem przed zakupem nowego odbiornika AVR. Cierpliwie czekam na opinię Amira o Marantz SR 7015, bo mam już SACD 7003 - dlatego stawiam na Marantza. Ufam mu, (Amir) jest bardzo wykwalifikowany. Uważam, że honor i dobre imię są dla Amira ważniejsze niż płacenie za reklamę wyników produktów. Od niego zależy, czy kupię Denona 4700, czy Marantza 7015.
Przepraszam, używam tłumacza. Pozdrowienia z Polski.

AdamFrandsen

Is there any difference at all between Maranz and Denon? They both have that crappy exposed power transformer and look the same inside, sr7015 and avr-x4700h:
denon-avcx4700h-8k-av-receiver-inside_2000x.jpg
sr7015.png

ririt

HDAM seems to be the main difference between the 2. According to the recent measurements performed by Amir, HDAM implementation seems to significantly affect the SINAD performances of the Marantz. Sound United still use HDAM apparently to color the sound of the Marantz products and get a specific sound signature

ELIOT CAPONE

I bought a Marantz SR 7015 yesterday. I'm happy. It is an excellent device. I am getting to know my Monitor Audio Silver RX 8 speakers anew. Soon SVS 2000 Pro will join and it will be complete for the next few years.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

wseroyer

I have an LG C9 OLED TV with KEF Q-750 towers, Q-650 center, Q150 rears, KUBE12 sub, and Onkyo410 Atmos. I plan on adding maybe 2 more 150 side speakers.

I've borrowed my brothers Yamaha RXV579 last 2 months waiting for a receiver with HDMI 2.1 - anticipating PS5.

Usage:
50% movies/sports
30% music
20% video games

What wins?

Denon AVRX4700H OR Marantz SR7015?

Thanks!

Denon, there's really no reason for Marantz Receivers to exist in its current iteration, they basically take Denon Receivers make them worse then charge you a extra $500 for the privilege, it's badge engineering at its worse.

Top Bottom