• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choosing a DAC around $400 (paired with Aune X7S)

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I use a D10 to connect my laptop directly to my full size yamaha amp. It sounds fantastic. It's designed to run on the usb power and its a real benefit to not have to worry about another wall wart.

KozmoNaut

I wouldn't. But is there a reason for the unit to be powered by external brick from the wall socket? I have zero knowledge about this but the instinct tell me it gets more power from the socket...?

The main difference is that a USB-powered DAC usually has a maximum output level of around 1.2-1.5Vrms, which is a bit lower than the de facto standard of 2Vrms established by CD players since the 1980s.

This shouldn't be an issue for most amps (headphone or otherwise), but in my case I went with the D30 to get 2Vrms, which matched the output levels of my other devices, so I didn't have to fiddle quite as much with the volume control. Now I only use it with my PC and no other sources into my Atom amp, so I could have been just fine with a D10, really :)

raif71

Major Contributor
Sound quality, sound signature, whatever you want to call it, has nothing to do with what chip is used.

You throw this nonsense out whatever chance you get. Would you like to bet a meaningful amount of money that you can tell the difference between these two chips in two competent DAC's?

I bet you can't.

If there is a rule here saying I cannot say my opinion on dac sound signature, then perhaps I will not blurt such things in the future. :facepalm:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
If there is a rule here saying I cannot say my opinion on dac sound signature, then perhaps I will not blurt such things in the future. :facepalm:

No rule against challenging nonsense claims when they show up either. This is a science forum after all.

raif71

Major Contributor
No rule against challenging nonsense claims when they show up either. This is a science forum after all.
Thanks...I was getting a bit worried there :). So, there isn't any rule like that. What a relief

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How much spend on it? I think it's not worth to start at like $100 and get rid of it one year later pursueing an upgrade...I'd like to have something to last, I think the top floor for me is $500 dollars.
Stop right there. Price have no relation to performance. Get the DAC that have the features you want.
Balanced might get you higher power / get rid of some humming.

OP
E

eldirian

Stop right there. Price have no relation to performance. Get the DAC that have the features you want.
Balanced might get you higher power / get rid of some humming.

I'll go with D10 for the starters. I just need USB in and RCA out at this moment. Who knows, I dont trust my ears so much, could as well be endgame for me. I know a guy who owns RME ADI 2 DAC and will let me listen and compare - if there isnt a MAJOR difference, I'll be sure then it's enough for my ears :)

I could buy another amp to drive, say, a HE 4XX with it, since X7S won't do the job properly, from what I've learned. Aune X7S has output impedance of 10 ohms, HE 4XX are 35 ohms. I read in an article that the headphone impedance should be somewhere between 2-8 times the amp output impedance (reffed to as "1/8th rule). So I might buy JDL Atom or something similar. I read about THX AAA 789, people going crazy about it. But from my point of view, the only thing about an amp to measure is the power output and output impedance. It shouldn't touch the signal in any other way.

OP
E

eldirian

Ok. What happen to frequency response, distortion, noise, dynamic range, then?
When comparing those parametres between Aune X7S and THX AAA 789 for example? Do you think there will be a listenable difference justifying the double price?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When comparing those parametres between Aune X7S and THX AAA 789 for example? Do you think there will be a listenable difference justifying the double price?
With lower impedance, more power, and slightly less distortion (though probably not audible), I'd say: Yes... Or you could also go for the SP200 for the same price of the X7S.

More seriously. The X7S is a good amp already. With high impedance HF, don't bother and keep it.

OP
E

eldirian

With lower impedance, more power, and slightly less distortion (though probably not audible), I'd say: Yes... Or you could also go for the SP200 for the same price of the X7S.

More seriously. The X7S is a good amp already. With high impedance HF, don't bother and keep it.
Yes, makes sense. Thank you.

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
Topping D10 is all you really need. USB in, RCA out, works great, and is easy set up. Just get the right driver for your model build date and you're set.

Celty

Yes, if you get a good deal on smsl....go for it
The SMSL SU-8 V2 is $170.00 on Drop if you don't mind the Drop delay. Then again, you can look at an Apos price match.

OP
E

eldirian

The SMSL SU-8 V2 is $170.00 on Drop if you don't mind the Drop delay. Then again, you can look at an Apos price match.

I saw it today but I can't / don't want to wait till 17th Decemeber, no I don't.:rolleyes: Still double the price of D10 anyway

OP
E

eldirian

So I ordered D10 today from Aliexpress (Shenzhenaudio) for total of 73.99 dollars (shipping included), I used some of their promotion coupons or something. Very nice price I think :)

Celty

So I ordered D10 today from Aliexpress (Shenzhenaudio) for total of 73.99 dollars (shipping included), I used some of their promotion coupons or something. Very nice price I think :)
Congratulations, looks like you found a great deal, I'm sure you will enjoy it a lot.

renoxd

Hello more experienced audio beings,

this is my first post. I know this may and most certainly has been asked and answered before.
I about to buy my first dedicated DAC. Recently I bought an AUNE X7S amp for a very nice price from a guy I know. I ordered HD 58X from Drop as my first "better" headphones. So now I'm choosing the DAC. And here emerged some questions:

How much spend on it? I think it's not worth to start at like $100 and get rid of it one year later pursueing an upgrade...I'd like to have something to last, I think the top floor for me is $500 dollars. I'm aware of X7S output impedance limitation too. I think I might go for THX AAA 789 sometime next year which I'd consider to be my final destination.

And here are the DACs I'm choosing from (if you suggested anything else, I'll be glad):
  1. Topping D50s
  2. Topping D70
  3. SMSL SU-8
  4. AUNE X1S
Topping D70 being almost twice the price than the rest. Anyone who knows if there is any significant (money-worth) difference between SU-8/D50s and D70?
I'm planning to get different headphones when I listen to HD 58X for enough time. Like Hifiman HE 4XX.

Bonus question: Is it worth getting a XLR cable for the HD 58X (600, 650...) since X7S has balanced output too? The cable costs like 20 % of the headphones' price which is insane and absurd IMO.

Bonus question #2: Aune X7S being a class A amp, will it damage the unit having it switched on for an extended period of time? I mean like 5+ hours. It gets warm very quickly, not hot but warm.

Thanks for patience and any help.

May I ask why you didn't even think of Aune X8?
If you already have X7S amp wouldn't it be reasonable to buy a standalone DAC like X8?
Should be better than X1S and price is the same and also has exchangable op amps.

I know that you already bought D10. I'm just curious as i want to buy X8 and i see that noone even think about this DAC, dont understand why

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
Should be better than X1S and price is the same and also has exchangable op amps.
"should" as in you don't know.

I know that you already bought D10. I'm just curious as i want to buy X8 and i see that noone even think about this DAC, dont understand why
Also easy to understand (besides ergonomics), it's an unknown unit. Haven't been tested by anyone we (as in ASR members) trust. Hard to stack.
The D10 is flat on the top.

Top Bottom