• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choosing a DAC around $400 (paired with Aune X7S)

eldirian

Hello more experienced audio beings,

this is my first post. I know this may and most certainly has been asked and answered before.
I about to buy my first dedicated DAC. Recently I bought an AUNE X7S amp for a very nice price from a guy I know. I ordered HD 58X from Drop as my first "better" headphones. So now I'm choosing the DAC. And here emerged some questions:

How much spend on it? I think it's not worth to start at like $100 and get rid of it one year later pursueing an upgrade...I'd like to have something to last, I think the top floor for me is $500 dollars. I'm aware of X7S output impedance limitation too. I think I might go for THX AAA 789 sometime next year which I'd consider to be my final destination.

And here are the DACs I'm choosing from (if you suggested anything else, I'll be glad):
  1. Topping D50s
  2. Topping D70
  3. SMSL SU-8
  4. AUNE X1S
Topping D70 being almost twice the price than the rest. Anyone who knows if there is any significant (money-worth) difference between SU-8/D50s and D70?
I'm planning to get different headphones when I listen to HD 58X for enough time. Like Hifiman HE 4XX.

Bonus question: Is it worth getting a XLR cable for the HD 58X (600, 650...) since X7S has balanced output too? The cable costs like 20 % of the headphones' price which is insane and absurd IMO.

Bonus question #2: Aune X7S being a class A amp, will it damage the unit having it switched on for an extended period of time? I mean like 5+ hours. It gets warm very quickly, not hot but warm.

Thanks for patience and any help.

Last edited:

mbomberdavid

Hello more experienced audio beings,

this is my first post. I know this may and most certainly has been asked and answered before.
I about to buy my first dedicated DAC. Recently I bought an AUNE X7S amp for a very nice price from a guy I know. I ordered HD 58X from Drop as my first "better" headphones. So now I'm choosing the DAC. And here emerged some questions:

How much spend on it? I think it's not worth to start at like $100 and get rid of it one year later pursueing an upgrade...I'd like to have something to last, I think the top floor for me is $500 dollars. I'm aware of X7S output impedance limitation too. I think I might go for THX AAA 789 sometime next year which I'd consider to be my final destination.

And here are the DACs I'm choosing from (if you suggested anything else, I'll be glad):
  1. Topping D50s
  2. Topping D70
  3. SMSL SU-8
  4. AUNE X1S
Topping D70 being almost twice the price than the rest. Anyone who knows if there is any significant (money-worth) difference between SU-8/D50s and D70?
I'm planning to get different headphones when I listen to HD 58X for enough time. Like Hifiman HE 4XX.

Bonus question: Is it worth getting a XLR cable for the HD 58X (600, 650...) since X7S has balanced output too? The cable costs like 20 % of the headphones' price which is insane and absurd IMO.

Bonus question #2: Aune X7S being a class A amp, will it damage the unit having it switched on for an extended period of time? I mean like 5+ hours. It gets warm very quickly, not hot but warm.

Thanks for patience and any help.

Im very interested in this too. I just bought my first DAC, a Topping D50s on (Mass)Drop. Looking forward to see what advice you are given.

OP
E

eldirian

Unless there's some specific feature or function in the $400 DAC that you need, I'd just save some cash and get a Topping D10 and put the money towards speakers/headphones.
Thank you for your tip. Do you think there is no major SQ (clarity, openess) difference between say D10 and SMSL SU-8? Also I don't like the fact that D10 is USB powered only.

raif71

Major Contributor
Thank you for your tip. Do you think there is no major SQ (clarity, openess) difference between say D10 and SMSL SU-8? Also I don't like the fact that D10 is USB powered only.
As far as SQ is concerned, since they are both ESS, they should sound almost the same though model wise smsl ESS dac chip is the later model. As far as inputs are concerned....yes depends on what your sources are...if you plan to use mainly computer/laptops, d10 with its usb only input shouldn't be a problem but if you plan to use other sources such as other DAPs that have coax/optical out, then smsl would be more accommodating with its coax/optical inputs.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No. Balanced only brings more power and there is definitely enough of it out of your X7S SE output. The 58X are easy to drive full size headphones.

If I was you, I would go for the very good X1S (or the new version) only for aesthetic purposes. It will be audibly undistinguishable from the D50S, but will stack much better. I use to have this stack back in the days:
IMG_20171209_180138.jpg

As far as SQ is concerned, since they are both ESS, they should sound almost the same
How many times should we repeat here that DAC chip can't be the only factor of how a unit sounds and measures?

OP
E

eldirian

As far as SQ is concerned, since they are both ESS, they should sound almost the same though model wise smsl ESS dac chip is the later model. As far as inputs are concerned....yes depends on what your sources are...if you plan to use mainly computer/laptops, d10 with its usb only input shouldn't be a problem but if you plan to use other sources such as other DAPs that have coax/optical out, then smsl would be more accommodating with its coax/optical inputs.

Yes the plan is PC only. I don't have any other sources. There will be a sale day tomorrow with nice discounts so I need to decide until then. I'm still leaning more to SMSL SU-8 for the versatility. So I wouldn't need to buy another unit in the future.

raif71

Major Contributor
Yes the plan is PC only. I don't have any other sources. There will be a sale day tomorrow with nice discounts so I need to decide until then. I'm still leaning more to SMSL SU-8 for the versatility. So I wouldn't need to buy another unit in the future.
Yes, if you get a good deal on smsl....go for it

OP
E

eldirian

No. Balanced only brings more power and there is definitely enough of it out of your X7S SE output. The 58X are easy to drive full size headphones.

If I was you, I would go for the very good X1S (or the new version) only for aesthetic purposes. It will be audibly undistinguishable from the D50S, but will stack much better. I use to have this stack back in the days:
View attachment 38400

How many times should we repeat here that DAC chip can't be the only factor of how a unit sounds and measures?

I was thinking about it too. But the amp in X1S is kinda wasted (and the money). But the DAC in X1S is said to be crystal clear sounding. But I dont really care about aethetics and matching.
You had the X7S...did you have any problems with the heat? Did you have it on for a long time...say 4+ hours?

raif71

Major Contributor

Sorry, I meant sound signature....yes SQ can be attributed to other factors involving the circuitry around the dac chip.

OP
E

eldirian

It may be used since the impedance is lower than X7S. For example for others lower impedance/easy to drive HF.

Not that relevant here on ASR...
I meant by it that it does nothing to the sound, fully transparent...

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor

when we're talking about dacs, what are the other factors that aren't either a defect or intentional inaccuracy/colorization? Measurements might distinguish them, but if those exist outside the range of human audibility, they are hardly an issue.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You had the X7S...did you have any problems with the heat? Did you have it on for a long time...say 4+ hours?
No. It was on all the time.
But I dont really care about aethetics and matching.
Then, a simple Khadas Tone Board with case will do the trick.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your amp doesn't have a balanced input, so I don't think there's much point paying extra for a DAC with a balanced output (e.g. SMSL SU-8) unless you plan to upgrade the amp at some point. It's also unlikely that balanced connections will yield any benefit in a desktop headphone setup (unless you have issues with ground loops). As others have mentioned, it's better to spend the money on headphones (or headphone upgrades, changing the earpads can make a very audible difference to some cans).

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
As far as SQ is concerned, since they are both ESS...

Sound quality, sound signature, whatever you want to call it, has nothing to do with what chip is used.

You throw this nonsense out whatever chance you get. Would you like to bet a meaningful amount of money that you can tell the difference between these two chips in two competent DAC's?

I bet you can't.

KozmoNaut

If USB-only is fine, just get a get a Topping D10 or a Tone Board, or a D30 if you need TOSLINK/SPDIF.

Stop worrying so much, differences between DACs are inaudible, unless something is broken or very badly implemented.

OP
E

eldirian

If USB-only is fine, just get a get a Topping D10 or a Tone Board, or a D30 if you need TOSLINK/SPDIF.

Stop worrying so much, differences between DACs are inaudible, unless something is broken or very badly implemented.

I wouldn't. But is there a reason for the unit to be powered by external brick from the wall socket? I have zero knowledge about this but the instinct tell me it gets more power from the socket...?

Top Bottom