• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choosing a closed back headphone (+poll)

Help me choose :) ?

• Total voters

tomtrp

LCD-21 XC is OK with stock tuning, but with some proper PEQ they sound really really good and isolation from noise is also decent.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
None of these measure very good. Audio Quest NightOwl has lowest distortion dynamic driver of any full size headphone, its the same 50mm bio cellulose driver like closed Fostex TH900 or semi open iBasso SR1.
It's a second best dynamic driver (regarding mentioned quality's) and manufacturer is Foster (Fostex is commercial front end) the best one is lost for a long time now (Pioneer Monitor 10 II used driver's like Yamaha uses now on their premium speaker [Ns-5000]). Main problem with Foster driver is lo impedance and high LSP which makes them demanding to drive properly (to the extent I don't know any mesured device which will have SNR of 96 dB at 1 mW output). Don't know about build quality but TH900 mesures a rather good (to my likings) from those with that driver (I really wouldn't buy Audio Quest anything and for me it's a shame Creative never made any with those drivers [as drivers are anly a small fraction of the price]).
@Noodles audition, audition, and take your time doing it and buy what suits and sound best to your likings.

Last edited:

Xombul

Forum Donor
I also really like the cheap (and ugly) AKG 371. The sound is fantastic for the price. I mainly use them in the train and the insulation is correct.

Reactions: RHO
OP
Noodles

Noodles

Day before yesterday I ordered one of the Austrian Audio headphones - the new Hi-X60 to test them out and so far, especially for the €350 I paid for them they are excellent.
I had previously tried all their other ones Hi-X25, 50, 55 and 65 and only the 65 was usable.
The X60 have a really well balanced sound with a bit of a treble boost and a slight bump in bass (it’s never lacking when I listen to them and the 65 had that issue).
I think I’m keeping these.

Also last week could not pass on a HD800 deal which turned out to be a brand new 800S instead (owner did not know).
So at present and for the foreseeable future I’m set.
Would still like to go and audition the HD820 and see if they are fixable but also have the post-new-year budget to balance… so I will put a pin on it.
Thanks for all the opinions and the votes.

PeteDzi

I too fancy getting myself a decent pair of closed back headphones.
My current selection of DT150, DT770 and Sony WH-1000, I find underwhelming

My current favorite open back cans are he-6se v2.
Are there any closed back "equvalents"? By that I mean realistic sounding and lively sounding headphones, and capable of presenting female vocals in a manner that I will move my heart (I'd like to see that requirement represented in technical specifications!)

I noticed the results of the vote above are overwhelmingly for the "DCA Aeon 2 Noire".
My question is, is it a lively sounding headphone? does it have good dynamics?
I'm asking because I saw a review of the more expensive DCA Stealth, and some said it was "laid back" lacking dynamics and excitement.
Does the Aeon 2 Noire suffer from the same problem?

If yes, what would be another good alternative?
I currently also own the Audeze Lcd-X 2021 open back - and I must admit, i don't especially like it's tonality. Some say the Closed back version is better.

OP
Noodles

Noodles

I'd advise listening to the Hi-X60 or the DT700 Pro X.
A lot less money for pretty comparable solution.

Firefly00

I too fancy getting myself a decent pair of closed back headphones.
My current selection of DT150, DT770 and Sony WH-1000, I find underwhelming

My current favorite open back cans are he-6se v2.
Are there any closed back "equvalents"? By that I mean realistic sounding and lively sounding headphones, and capable of presenting female vocals in a manner that I will move my heart (I'd like to see that requirement represented in technical specifications!)

I noticed the results of the vote above are overwhelmingly for the "DCA Aeon 2 Noire".
My question is, is it a lively sounding headphone? does it have good dynamics?
I'm asking because I saw a review of the more expensive DCA Stealth, and some said it was "laid back" lacking dynamics and excitement.
Does the Aeon 2 Noire suffer from the same problem?

If yes, what would be another good alternative?
I currently also own the Audeze Lcd-X 2021 open back - and I must admit, i don't especially like it's tonality. Some say the Closed back version is better.
DCAs are very easy listening. I think that they generally have good dynamics, they just don’t have any part of the FR that is overblown

Top Bottom