• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choose sample rate and bitrate

Gallus780

I hope you can finally answer how should I set my sound, because there is not much transparency how this setting even works, it would be very easy to just select 32 with 384 kHz. I'd like to excuse me if this question is already annoying to you, though which setting do you prefer or more exactly which would be the best and why?
If you have time to lose, feel free to explain how this setting works, because I cannot find any reliable answer in Google, as everyone would say different. Also, should I nail it forever on one preset or change it every time depending on the file I listen to? Also why, if you could explain? I listen to FLAC files on foobar2000, most of them are 16/44.1, though there are also 24/44.1, 24/48 and 24/96 (the last are really not many).

Here is the picture with the so famous option:
1648836885034.png

P.S. This might be out of the topic but I'd still be happy to hear your opinion. Is WASAPI in foobar2000 better in event or push mode? Does any of them sound "better"? Which one would you choose and why? For some reason, files with 48 kHz and above cannot be played properly with event mode.

Thank you in advance

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Good resource for windows audio:

As for WASAPI, setting it to exclusive mode should be able to control the DAC's output to match the content.

F

freemansteve

If you press "test" on each of the settings does it work?
If so, can you tell any audible difference, when playing music, between one setting and another (after "applying" the setting)?
It seems to me to be "weird Windows" because the settings have nothing to do with speakers.
If you just make the setting "application controlled" does it make a difference?

Are you just playing back music files on a windows laptop to the built-in speakers or plugged-in headphones ? Are you using, Foobar2000 or similar, media player?

OP
G

Gallus780

1. If you press "test" on each of the settings does it work?
2. If so, can you tell any audible difference, when playing music, between one setting and another (after "applying" the setting)?
3. It seems to me to be "weird Windows" because the settings have nothing to do with speakers.
4. If you just make the setting "application controlled" does it make a difference?

5. Are you just playing back music files on a windows laptop to the built-in speakers or plugged-in headphones ? Are you using, Foobar2000 or similar, media player?
1. Yes, it works.
2. I am not sure how to answer so I rely on your opinion if in reality it sounds better or alters the sound, no matter if I can hear it or not. My idea here is that whether the sound can degrade due to a bad setting.
4. Not sure
5. Plugged-in headphones in my DAC. Exactly foobar2000, nothing else.

Zek

Major Contributor
5. Plugged-in headphones in my DAC. Exactly foobar2000
What is a DAC and how is it connected to a PC?
If you use Foobar in exclusive mode, then you bypass Win audio and it doesn't matter what setting you asked for in the first post.
Foobar allows you to play audio files in the original bit rate and sampling rate, or you can set it to play at the max bit / sampling rate supported by your DAC.

OP
G

Gallus780

Foobar allows you to play audio files in the original bit rate and sampling rate, or you can set it to play at the max bit / sampling rate supported by your DAC.
How? And which choice would be better?

F

freemansteve

If you are set to be "application controlled" I think FB2K and other media players will send the data in your source files into your DAC just as they are, with original bit depth and sample frequency.

Test it by converting a known FLAC to the minimum bits and rate you can and compare i with original on playback.

Or just improve the whole lot and by a good USB DAC and headphone amp. On most PCs, these are terrible (and noisy from PC pickup)...

Katji

Major Contributor
What is this?

1648925010684.png

...where is the DAC?

...where is the DAC device driver? // did you install it?

Here is mine with no DAC :

1648925833774.png

If i connect the DAC, switch on... ding-ding! Windows sees the DAC and shows it in the Sound list of audio devices.

Katji

Major Contributor
Also, should I nail it forever on one preset or change it every time depending on the file I listen to?
Really? You will do that?

Also why, if you could explain? I listen to FLAC files on foobar2000, most of them are 16/44.1, though there are also 24/44.1, 24/48 and 24/96 (the last are really not many).
So leave it on 16 \ 44.1

The rest, i don't know. No foobar2000. I install the DAC driver [ASIO].

Last edited:
Top Bottom