• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choices of eq+cossover device that is as good as direct DAC to amp?

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use the MiniDSP SHD studio as a DAC/Streamer/DSP.
I have the Bluesound Vault "upstream". I do not enable DIRAC as there's no particular abberation to redress. (I got lucky.)

If you are only streaming music, MiniDSP has native support for Volumio.
My impression is that the presentation straight off the SHD Studio, bypassing the Bluesound player entirely, is superior.

I suspect the transfer step between the devices is adding some measure of noise in the range of vocals.

The MiniDSP SHD is expensive but in my implementation as pleasant as the RME ADI-2 DAC. (I use the AES output to active speakers.)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
the MiniDSP 2*4 HD's second harmonic is at about -95 dB. try to generate a -95 dB signal with REW at 2KHz and see if you can hear it from where you sit.

that second harmonic is right at the cusp of human hearing threshold, with nothing else is playing. I doubt that during actual music it would be audible.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
the MiniDSP 2*4 HD's second harmonic is at about -95 dB. try to generate a -95 dB signal with REW at 2KHz and see if you can hear it from where you sit.

that second harmonic is right at the cusp of human hearing threshold, with nothing else is playing. I doubt that during actual music it would be audible.
You are talking about singular pure tone testing. What happens when multiple harmonics from 500 Hz, 1kz, 2khz, 4khz are added onto the 8khz note, which is already elevated to begin with?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You are talking about singular pure tone testing. What happens when multiple harmonics from 500 Hz, 1kz, 2khz, 4khz are added onto the 8khz note, which is already elevated to begin with?

then distortion becomes a lot more difficult to hear.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I use the MiniDSP SHD studio as a DAC/Streamer/DSP.
I have the Bluesound Vault "upstream". I do not enable DIRAC as there's no particular abberation to redress. (I got lucky.)

If you are only streaming music, MiniDSP has native support for Volumio.
My impression is that the presentation straight off the SHD Studio, bypassing the Bluesound player entirely, is superior.

I suspect the transfer step between the devices is adding some measure of noise in the range of vocals.

The MiniDSP SHD is expensive but in my implementation as pleasant as the RME ADI-2 DAC. (I use the AES output to active speakers.)
May I know how did you evaluate node2i? Thx!

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the Bluesound Vault.
From what I gather, their streaming architecture is the same.

Streaming the same service with and without the Bluesound in the chain lead me to prefer the MiniDSP alone.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
then distortion becomes a lot more difficult to hear.

BTW, the minidsp is ~90 dB sinad when using the analog in path. The gustard x16 is about 120db sinad when using xlr out.

I am comparing gustard x16 to minidsp analog in, vs x16 direct to amp.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
BTW, the minidsp is ~90 dB sinad when using the analog in path. The gustard x16 is about 120db sinad when using xlr out.

I am comparing gustard x16 to minidsp analog in, vs x16 direct to amp.
What is the amp sinad?

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Would you please explain your chain a bit more?
Sure, I have a RME ADI-2 DAC, which feeds into a MiniDSP 2x4 that splits the signal going to my amp from that going to my two subs. As mentioned, I also use room correction.

Please do the comparison as mentioned in post #16 if possible. With and without minidsp.
I have listened to a lot of different music and have switched the 2x4 in and out for periods of time on numerous occasions. It has never had a negative impact on sound quality. To be honest, it is a pain to do it just to test one track. However, as already suggested, do a REW sweep with it in place and not. Anything audible should show up there.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I have the Bluesound Vault.
From what I gather, their streaming architecture is the same.

Streaming the same service with and without the Bluesound in the chain lead me to prefer the MiniDSP alone.
Interesting. I remember Amir said node2i works just fine streaming and send signals to external DAC. The DAC retains it's sinad.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Sure, I have a RME ADI-2 DAC, which feeds into a MiniDSP 2x4 that splits the signal going to my amp from that going to my two subs. As mentioned, I also use room correction.

I have listened to a lot of different music and have switched the 2x4 in and out for periods of time on numerous occasions. It has never had a negative impact on sound quality. To be honest, it is a pain to do it just to test one track. However, as already suggested, do a REW sweep with it in place and not. Anything audible should show up there.
Are you using it for just bass management? In my case, minidsp handles everything, thus I noticed the difference of harshness.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Here's two options:
  • miniSHARC-->your favorite I2S DAC (x3/4)
  • nanoDIGI-->your favorite S/SPDIF DAC (x3/4)
Thanks! I have checked out minidsp various options. The only one that would work between my DAC and amp, that is better than hd2x4, is the SHD.

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Are you using it for just bass management? In my case, minidsp handles everything, thus I noticed the difference of harshness.
Yes, I am only using the cross-over functionality. The DRC is applied through Roon.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Yes, I am only using the cross-over functionality. The DRC is applied through Roon.
Interesting that you didn't notice a difference in bass cleanliness. Playing Hans Zimmer songs, I have noticed that gustard x16 going direct to my subs sounded very clean. Going through minidsp less so.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Thanks! I have checked out minidsp various options. The only one that would work between my DAC and amp, that is better than hd2x4, is the SHD.
Your DAC would be useless if you do another analog to digital conversion

Top Bottom