• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choice for streaming

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The DAC inside the monitor since HDMI is only digital audio transmission. You would need an AVR to send the digital video to your monitor while the audio stream is outputted as analog to your speakers. I don't know about the DAC specifics inside the monitor or if the HDMI input supports 24/192 stereo stream. Mine through HDMI only supports 24/48 maximum

Capture.PNG

dudodelmundo

The DAC inside the monitor since HDMI is only digital audio transmission. You would need an AVR to send the digital video to your monitor while the audio stream is outputted as analog to your speakers. I don't know about the DAC specifics inside the monitor or if the HDMI input supports 24/192 stereo stream. Mine through HDMI only supports 24/48 maximum

View attachment 64019
Thanks for the quick reply! Dont have windows so i have to find out what is capable of.

Taipan

Another happy Roon customer here. I've been using both Tidal and Qobuz, but I'm inclined to move to Qobuz after the price drop, and reading more about how MQA is BS.

I'm using an Intel NUC8i5 running ROCK as the server (you could run a NAS in addition, or simply connect a hard drive containing music to the ROCK).

I've used both an expensive NAD C658 (all-in-one streamer+DAC) and a Raspberry Pi (running ropieee) + Topping D10. For the money, I can't recommend the Pi + D10 enough.

Taipan

Matt thanks for your comments regarding the NAD C658: I had been considering the C658: in lieu of the C658; I was considering your suggested setup but with a RME ati-2 dac. I assume you did nto use an USB bridge and just used the Pi? Again thanks for your comment. Greg

Robin L

Master Contributor
As I stated in the first post, my goal is first and foremost to improve the QS of my Meridian 596 that incorporates a 24-bit Delta Sigma DAC series.
After reading many reviews and opinions in our forum and in others, I have concluded that the quality of the sound is determined by the DAC. It is where you have to put the biggest investment.
Among all-in-one options are Aurender and Auralic, what do you think?
If I decide to keep the Meridian 596 as a transport connected to the DAC through the SPDIF digital output and later incorporate the streamer. What do you think would be better suited to increase the quality of sound music for classical music?
Nope. You can get close to SOTA with a DAC for a little over $100. A Topping E30 DAC easily outperforms the Meridian 596, it's $130.
Speakers are always going to be the hardest part.

Last edited:
Top Bottom