• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choice for streaming

Fran

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum.
I listen exclusively to classical music in CD format. Equipment: Meridian 596 / Transparent ultra RCA / Jadis DA60 / Transparent plus biwire / ProAc response1.5.
I am very satisfied with the definition, sound scene and timbre of the instruments, and therefore I had not considered until now "sign up" to streaming. Once decided by streaming and Hi Res music I want to improve the quality and definition of the sound that I currently have.
I consider three options:
1- I continue with Meridian 596+ DAC, and I forget streaming.
2- All in one (streamer + DAC + internal memory).
3- (streamer DAC) + NAS
The economic issue must be evaluated, but what I do not want is to make a bad investment and then regret it (it is much more expensive)
I appreciate your opinions and device references.
Thank you very much for your attention

DuxServit

Forum Donor
I also listen to a lot of classical on CD and Blu-Ray (and some SACD). I liked my existing hardware setup and did not want to be forced to buy a streamer device, so I opted to get Roon software and use two older computers (one as Roon server, the other as Roon Bridge).

Roon already integrates/supports a number of streaming services like Tidal and Qobuz (and hopefully soon AmazonHD). The best part is that it can stream my hi-res files (24/192 or even DSD) from my Roon server computer. I use my iPad as the control point.

ps. I’m not affiliated with Roon, just a happy customer.

mattanderson

Another happy Roon customer here. I've been using both Tidal and Qobuz, but I'm inclined to move to Qobuz after the price drop, and reading more about how MQA is BS.

I'm using an Intel NUC8i5 running ROCK as the server (you could run a NAS in addition, or simply connect a hard drive containing music to the ROCK).

I've used both an expensive NAD C658 (all-in-one streamer+DAC) and a Raspberry Pi (running ropieee) + Topping D10. For the money, I can't recommend the Pi + D10 enough.

I just got a raspberry pi 4 up and running kodi ( libre elec) via USB to a JDS EL DAC 2 and I am streaming Tidal and Qobuz. It seems a bit bright, I was wondering if I was to put a IFI power low noise DC power supply would it improve the harshness?
The other plan is to get the allo digione sig or USbridge. I also could rewrite the ad card and run something else. Any advise?

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My son watched me filling Roon with my CDs while I tried to praise Qobuz over Spotify. He then asked: “With Qobuz, there is no need for CD playing through Roon as everything (Jazz) is in Qobuz?” Made me thinking.
I bought 400 CDs over 30 years, makes roughly 150€ per year ( I bought 5€/CD samplers too). Qobuz is 200 €/year for CD quality. Made me thinking again.. Do I want to own CD? Buying downloads from Qobuz will not archive them for others. Roon would need a kind of LightroomCC thing for audio for that to work. I could use a free Spotify account to discover music, then a solid purchase and ripping into Roon? Amazon Autorips are 250 kB/s and not upgradable to HD ...

I use Roon on a shielded, low noise PC feeding my chain via Hdmi, build from my PC leftover box, works superb. I have Volumio on a Rasp4 too which disappoints via HDMI, but then there are add-ons. Airplay from IPhone/Ipad into Apple TV and then HDMI (or Toskink for old models) is probably too simple and still good to be intellectual challenging. I read that cheap Lightning to analog converters work great and beat k$ DAC, but this may be too simple too and I hate it when a silly website grasps my audio stream, cutting out Qobuz - Apple for sure has to work in an exclusive mode. And then there is Chromecast, and the Amazon system and and ..

Happy streaming...

tw99

I just got a raspberry pi 4 up and running kodi ( libre elec) via USB to a JDS EL DAC 2 and I am streaming Tidal and Qobuz. It seems a bit bright, I was wondering if I was to put a IFI power low noise DC power supply would it improve the harshness?
The other plan is to get the allo digione sig or USbridge. I also could rewrite the ad card and run something else. Any advise?

Fiddling with power supplies won't make any difference other than to your wallet. Your dac measures well and it's unlikely you'll get better sound by changing it.

It's probably your speakers or headphones...

Fledermaus

Forum Donor
I'd recommend :
NAS + network-capable DAC (Matrix ones are well-built and measure quite well IIRC)
or :
NAS + SBC (eg Raspberry pi) running Volumio or whatever dedicated OS/software + USB DAC (eg ADI-2 DAC)
Same kind of money, SOTA performance for still half-affordable prices, so no "investment" sensu stricto but no waste of money either.
I have no experience of all-in-ones, but I'd be wary of a computer/storage part failure putting the whole thing out of use and requiring audiophile-priced (rather than computer-priced) repairs.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm in the budget category. Ripped all my CD to a NAS. upnp server and HifiCast on Android.
Using Google Music/YouTube Music as streaming services controlled by Google Nest HUB/android units.
Using Chromecast Audio as streamer to DAC/AMP in the office and other chromecast enabled devices thru the house. (See signature)
Downside of my setup is the discontinuing of the ChromeCast Audio. But I got 4 extra as spares.

Willem

Major Contributor
It depends a bit on what you mean by streaming. For me it means using services like Spotity, Tidal etc. I don't believe in the supposed benefits of higher resolutions than the 16/44 format of cd. I use a Chromecast Audio into an RME ADI-2 DAC. The Chromecast Audio is perfect up to 24/96. Using a mino computer like a raspberry pi would be equally perfect. The only thing that matters is a decent dac and that is cheap and easy to achieve.

Fiddling with power supplies won't make any difference other than to your wallet. Your dac measures well and it's unlikely you'll get better sound by changing it.

It's probably your speakers or headphones...

I have had a hard time with this, because I have totem model one signature. They are not bright sounding. I am going to be trying a Bluesound node2i and see if that helps or are there any other suggestions?

mattanderson

I am going to be trying a Bluesound node2i and see if that helps or are there any other suggestions?

Yes, stop doing that, and take a scientific approach. Pretty sure that thing did not measure very well here. It's far more likely that those speakers are in fact, bright, than that your Raspberry Pi's power supply is "bright." That doesn't make sense.

JEntwistle

Forum Donor
It depends a bit on what you mean by streaming. For me it means using services like Spotity, Tidal etc. I don't believe in the supposed benefits of higher resolutions than the 16/44 format of cd. I use a Chromecast Audio into an RME ADI-2 DAC. The Chromecast Audio is perfect up to 24/96. Using a mino computer like a raspberry pi would be equally perfect. The only thing that matters is a decent dac and that is cheap and easy to achieve.

So how does this work logistically? Do you use Spotify or Tidal apps on Android phone and the Chromecast shoots whatever is selected in the app into the RME ADI-2? I’ve been wondering how to do this, so appreciate the explanation.

tw99

So how does this work logistically? Do you use Spotify or Tidal apps on Android phone and the Chromecast shoots whatever is selected in the app into the RME ADI-2? I’ve been wondering how to do this, so appreciate the explanation.

That's right, the app on the phone tells the Chromecast audio what to stream, it fetches the content directly and sends it to the output (spdif or line out via the internal DAC).

OP
F

Fran

As I stated in the first post, my goal is first and foremost to improve the QS of my Meridian 596 that incorporates a 24-bit Delta Sigma DAC series.
After reading many reviews and opinions in our forum and in others, I have concluded that the quality of the sound is determined by the DAC. It is where you have to put the biggest investment.
Among all-in-one options are Aurender and Auralic, what do you think?
If I decide to keep the Meridian 596 as a transport connected to the DAC through the SPDIF digital output and later incorporate the streamer. What do you think would be better suited to increase the quality of sound music for classical music?

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have concluded that the quality of the sound is determined by the DAC.

Friends don't let friends deceive others, but if you're looking for SOTA equipment WITH STYLE, I'd whole heartily recommend the Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC/Streamer

mattanderson

After reading many reviews and opinions in our forum and in others, I have concluded that the quality of the sound is determined by the DAC. It is where you have to put the biggest investment.

May I kindly suggest that this is not the right conclusion. The biggest investment should be your speakers. There are plenty of budget DAC's that measure quite well.

If you already have high-end speakers and SOTA everything else, then by all means, knock yourself out with an expensive DAC, but otherwise, it is not the most effective use of a given budget.

TimW

Major Contributor
As I stated in the first post, my goal is first and foremost to improve the QS of my Meridian 596 that incorporates a 24-bit Delta Sigma DAC series.
Among all-in-one options are Aurender and Auralic, what do you think?
If I decide to keep the Meridian 596 as a transport connected to the DAC through the SPDIF digital output and later incorporate the streamer. What do you think would be better suited to increase the quality of sound music for classical music?

I understand your desire to stream music because that will be more convenient than loading CD's into your Meridian. And for that purpose I would recommend getting a good DAC and/or streamer. However if your real goal is just to improve sound quality then this is not the appropriate place to spend your money. Your speakers and your room are what affect sound quality most, that is what you should consider upgrading first if sound quality is your main concern.

Also did you buy those Transparent brand cables new?

OP
F

Fran

I bought all the equipment brand new. The room measures 7mx5m. I do not consider changing speakers.
Which option do you think is the best:
All in one: Streamer / DAC / internal storage (Auralic, Aurender ... do you know any more?)
Separate elements: Streamer + DAC + NAS (which ones?)
Thank you so much for your opinions

BobPM

For an inexpensive solution, I stream through a Roku Ultra. The apps include one for Tidal, Deezer, Spotify, and Radio Paradise. In addition I use the Roku media player or Plex apps to access my NAS. The sound on the older one I have is through the Toslink out to my receiver. I understand the new ones only have HDMI out.

The interfaces are great. Tidal, Deezer and the media players show the album art on the TV while playing. I don't have a spotify account so am not sure how that works. Radio Paradise is really tremendous since it casts onto the screen, random photographs usually in a theme related to the song title of the music being played. It must be curated or screened in advance since it does avoid inappropriate content.

I also use a node 2 via spdif out. I believe the node sounds a bit better, but I have not a/b'd the sound. I would love to know what the sound quality really is. Also, you don't get the great screen graphics with the node 2.

dudodelmundo

Hey there. Noob question. I have a chromecast ultra and a Qobuz hires subscribtion. Chromecast is attached to my monitor via hdmi. Monitor has a 3,5mm output jack connected to my amplifier. (I would prefer chromecast ultra because of seeing what im listening to controlled by my smartphone)

When i play a hires file 192/24 for instance, which device does d/a conversation? Chromecast or the dac inside the monitor? To my understanding digital goes into monitor is converted by the monitor and send to the amplifier. If i get proper sound the dac inside the monitor is able to convert a 192 khz file and it is hires or does it downsample a file to 44.1 or something?

Thanks

Top Bottom