• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chip amp with sub out or budget AVR?

JWAmerica

I'm looking to replace a vintage HK 930 twin power amplifier with something that has a sub out. Currently using my PC soundcard center/sub out port for the subwoofer and I'd like like to reclaim that port for center channel use. Having difficulty finding a reasonably powerful stereo amp with a sub out that is adjustable (or has any specs for the crossover at all). Am I better off with a budget Yamaha receiver or is there something from Aiyima/SMSL/etc that would be viable? The only thing thing I can find is the Aiyima A3001.

OP
J

JWAmerica

I have an FX Audio TDA7498E amp powering the subs currently. It could be used to power the mains if necessary.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
IMHO an inexpensive AVR is probably the way to go... I would prefer a better-quality used one if you don't need much in terms of the latest and greatest features, just make sure it's decently reliable (a lot of them from the late 2000s/early 2010s are afflicted by prematurely aging DSP chips, for example, in which case you're pretty much SOL). You might even go with a real oldie from the early 2000s with a 5.1 input, then you could continue using bass management on the PC.

Top Bottom