• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chinese stereo preamplifier clones - reviews/opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzz73

I'm in the process of looking for a quality stereo preamplifier, with no bells & whistles besides analog channel selection & a remote control (yes, i'm THAT lazy :). Oh, and maybe some (defeatible) tone controls.
It seems there are more than a few impressive-looking Chinese preamps that are said to be clones of very Hi-End ones, and offer luxuries such as balanced inputs/outputs - See this Breeze Audio preamp i'm considering: It's said to be based on the MBL 6010D circuit, for a fraction of the price.
AFAIK Breeze Audio are considered pretty okay among Chi-Fi brands. However, I can't find serious reviews/tests anywhere - not even here in ASR, where fortunately many Chinese amps, DACs etc., get their fair test and review. It seems that the whole (hifi) preamplifier section is being ignored for some reason. I'd love to hear more opinions

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It seems that the whole (hifi) preamplifier section is being ignored for some reason.
Because they're rarely needed in modern systems.

Rule of thumb: if someone is dishonest enough to blatantly steal a trademark, they're dishonest enough to rip off their customers as well.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I feel the Schiit Saga S is a good, cost-decent solution in that regard, if you don't need a built-in phono circuit (does have a remote). The other alternative is to use a rebuilt or restored vintage item. I'm currently using a NAD 1020 with my Class D amps and it's doing what I need it to do...

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
You mean like the "Marantz 7" preamp clone? Or is it the "copy of the Wada Shigeru (Japan) modification of the Marantz 7"?
@SIY's RoT pretty much hits the nail on the head (or the nailer's thumb, I suppose -- as the case may be).

OP
B

Buzz73

Because they're rarely needed in modern systems.

Rule of thumb: if someone is dishonest enough to blatantly steal a trademark, they're dishonest enough to rip off their customers as well.
I wouldn't go as far as "rarely". See Schiit Saga S as an indicator that this section is alive and well enough for Schiit's R&D (and these guys are privy of the new schiit...).
As for your second comment - I don't really know how much of their claim is true. Morally dodgy, yes, but as to quality/rip-off, well, my mileage differs - I have built more than one Chinese DIY clones, and most of them performed very well. These preamps such as the one i mentioned are mostly sourced from the same DIY projects. Of course one must be wary of fake op-amps and old-stock re-purposed output transistors, etc., but the bottom line is - here's a product that seems to be a quality one. Let's test it and see what's what

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I wouldn't go as far as "rarely".
I would. Modern DACs, streamers, and phono stages have outputs high enough to drive just about any power amp into clipping. A few people still have tuners, tape decks, and what-have-you, but those are pretty much non-issues in 2023.

It's nice that you can trust someone who has already demonstrated that they are unethical and fine with stealing. Forgiveness and tolerance are great virtues. I will cheerfully confess that I do not have those virtues and consequently don't give my money to such people.

It's also amusing, as a side note, that so many thieves steal the "Marantz 7C" trademark. Few are actually the 7C circuit, and if someone actually uses it, what you're getting is a poor performer.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
..and they apparently cant design a preamp on their own and need to steal someone else thunder :) i would deem these devices "home electrocution kit's" .

Simply never do business with crooks ,never , the world would bee a better place for it.

Reactions: EJ3
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom