• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chinese Hi-Fi products mainly speakers.

jst

I've seen a lot of amp, pre amp, dac etc, on the internet and read reviews and most get positive reviews.

Now I'm curious about their SPEAKER product. Seems like speakers from China do not enter our Indonesian market, maybe because of weight/volume that will be expensive for shipping cost. I'm curious if anyone ever tried or maybe have them, and how do they perform ?

We've known Topping, Aiyima, Nobsound, etc from China for good dac amp preamp etc, what good brands are for speakers from China ?

Thanks.

Vandemann

Lii Audio's 15" full range is an incredible value when used as a simple open baffle speaker.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Swans/Hi-vi/Diva (They use different brand names for the same product depending on the market or whim or something.) They're fantastic for the price they sell for in China. In other countries, where they are anywhere from 20%-500% more expensive, the value varies considerably.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Lii Audio's 15" full range is an incredible value when used as a simple open baffle speaker.

They're certainly nice looking drivers.
Part of me is deeply skeptical, and another part of me is sorely tempted...
fortunately, the remaining part of me is cheap, and the drivers aren't cheap enough for me to reasonably consider buying a pair just to play with. ;)

F-15-45.jpg

OP
jst

jst

the remaining part of me is cheap, and the drivers aren't cheap enough for me to reasonably consider buying a pair just to play with. ;)
That's actually what I had in mind when making the thread. Of all the dacs. amps, etc products from China reviewed here, most of them are good to excellent in price vs performance. But their small sized form factor must also be the reason. So I wonder about their speaker products.

But then I realize speakers are heavy and not small, and shipping is not cheap, I was happy when someone told me about parts-express, but after checking shipping cost, it's just good to know something like that exists. What's even ridiculous in my country is shipping is also included on top of the actual price in calculating VAT (or is that normal?). Like C-Note is 100 usd, shipping is 99, total vat is 17.5% including shipping so total is 234, and sometimes custom officer is naughty and charging more than it should, so that's another factor most ppl hesitate importing stuffs by themselves.

Swans/Hi-vi/Diva (They use different brand names for the same product depending on the market or whim or something.) They're fantastic for the price they sell for in China. In other countries, where they are anywhere from 20%-500% more expensive, the value varies considerably.
Yea, we have some Swan active speaker products here in Indonesia. So Chinese speakers do enter Indonesian market, it's just that Swan is probably more to mid to high end, even though there's also a value model.

Take a look at my compiled list of speaker companies:

Thanks for the list, I thought Edifier was American brand lol, turns out it's Chinese. They have a lot of product line here in my country. They probably have distributor and not imported in small numbers because the price is quite cheap and reasonable, but they're all active speakers.

Last edited:

Walter

So Edifier advertises as being an American brand in Indonesia, just as they do here in Cambodia? I guess I'm not surprised, as it is a really common practice. At least their products are generally good.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
There are, or were, some Indonesian hifi companies, IIRC(??).
oops, the specific company I was thinking of is in Thailand:

hmm...make that the two companies I was thinking of.

OP
jst

jst

So Edifier advertises as being an American brand in Indonesia, just as they do here in Cambodia? I guess I'm not surprised, as it is a really common practice. At least their products are generally good.
No it's just me, because their website is really professional and first things appearing when googling about them is like US, UK, intl, amazon, and not linked to China in any way. Unlike other brands like Topping FX Audio etc that will link to shenzhen.

There are, or were, some Indonesian hifi companies, IIRC(??).
oops, the specific company I was thinking of is in Thailand:

hmm...make that the two companies I was thinking of.
There are speaker companies, quite many of them but mostly for cheap markets, and there doesn't seem to be any calculation in making speakers, just mix and match hoping it sounds good. Most ppl here like SPL stuffs, very loud speaker system.
Something like this.

Walter

It has been 17 years since I was shopping for audio gear in China--and I was not in Shenzhen or Guangzhou, either--so things have almost certainly changed. At that time, the situation was pretty bleak. I ended up with the absolute cheapest 5 channel AVR Yamaha made, as it was literally the best thing I could find without spending a lot more money than I had budgeted. (I think they also sold the highest Yamaha in the line, but nothing in between).

Speakers were really frustrating, as there were a lot of really nice looking Chinese speakers at cheap prices, with wooden cabinets that alone would have cost hundreds of dollars or more in America. However, the sound was awful. (Yes, I considered DIY, but I was in the process of building a department from scratch and working 60 hour weeks, so it was not appealing.) There was also one high end store that sold B&W and Maggies along with the Chinese junk. After spending all weekend looking for 3 weeks in a row, I came across the Swans, and was thrilled when they actually sounded good! At the time, they really played up the Canadian designer angle--there was a life size poster of him on their front door. They were selling a 5-channel (no sub) package with a God-awful Chinese integrated amp that, like most, looked the part but weighed all of maybe 2 kilos and had high distortion and no power. They would not sell only the two floor standers or even the 5 speakers alone and I flat refused to buy the amp. We finally compromised and they worked out a deal with another dealer in the same mall to bring the Yamaha up and let me listen to the combo, at which point any reservations I still had about the speakers vanished. I negotiated with the speaker dealer, they negotiated with the Yamah dealer, and I finally had a system! I had to go to the other shop to get the box and remote for the receiver (the speakers were delivered), and once there I determined that the speaker dealer had only deducted something like $80 for the amp. I don't think it was even worth that. If I remember correctly, I paid the equivalent of about $800 for the speakers and $220 for the receiver. A few years later I noticed the exact same set of speakers selling online in the USA for $3,000.

Vandemann

Because I own one and it's one of the best speakers I've ever had. Did you read the review I linked to above? Couldn't have said it better.

peanuts

a speaker produces wavelenghts 1000:1 which is why tweeters are tiny and woofers that produce bass are big or with long throw.
a 15" fullrange driver will have insane beaming and insane distortion in the high-end, a laughable polarresponse and a rollercoaster FR. dont get me startet with all the qualifications you need to meet when designing a dipole speaker. even with a passive crossover it will never work, and these dont even have that. a 2-way speaker is always better than 1-way, and 3-4-way can always be better than that again.
there is a reason why virtually all high end speakers are 3-way minimum.

Top Bottom