• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chinese Generic DAC connect

Lounge Lizard

Hello, I found among my wires a 5 year old un-used Chinese generic black DAC with its Toslink wires,etc. I want to connect to desktop PC. I looked for an image, found many but written on the DAC is "Analog to digital audio converter". ALL the photos and sites have the same measurement DAC written "Digital to Analog Audio Converter. " I figured it was a Chinese mistake and it must be aDigital to Analog in actuality. Just now I found one that does say "Analog to Digital" (Here both photos). Does it matter and how do I connect each wire to PCdesktop PLEASE. by: No Knowledge Tech Senior
41lofBGG1AL.jpg
AJGT_1_20190519937103077.jpg
41lofBGG1AL.jpg
AJGT_1_20190519937103077.jpg

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
An analogue to digital converter will have a stereo analogue input and a digital output. The top picture shows the input, which is a conventionally coloured analogue input, but not the output side of the unit which would be a single socket if it id an ADC. Somewhere one would expect an input level control, though as long as the input sensitivity is set such that clipping is unlikely from normal sources it will be OK.

OP
Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard

An analogue to digital converter will have a stereo analogue input and a digital output. The top picture shows the input, which is a conventionally coloured analogue input, but not the output side of the unit which would be a single socket if it id an ADC. Somewhere one would expect an input level control, though as long as the input sensitivity is set such that clipping is unlikely from normal sources it will be OK.
Thank You!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard

Thanks, you must have searched that specially! T
Flammarion_Woodcut_1888_Color_2 (1) (1).jpg
hat is the very generic Chinese one I bought 5 years ago and put away until now. How and which wires should I connect to my desktop PC?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
What exactly do you want to do with it?
(1) Record through the analog inputs to create a digital copy on your PC? That is what an ADC can do.
(2) Play back digital recordings from your PC on your stereo? That needs a DAC.

Since you have an ADC (analog-to-digital converter) then to accomplish (1) you would use a standard stereo RCA cable to connect the music (or whatever) source's output to the ADC's stereo input. Then connect the coax output through another RCA cable to the coaxial input of your sound card or computer. The trick may be finding a driver for the ADC if it is not generic and an application to handle the recording.

OP
Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard

What exactly do you want to do with it?
(1) Record through the analog inputs to create a digital copy on your PC? That is what an ADC can do.
(2) Play back digital recordings from your PC on your stereo? That needs a DAC.

Since you have an ADC (analog-to-digital converter) then to accomplish (1) you would use a standard stereo RCA cable to connect the music (or whatever) source's output to the ADC's stereo input. Then connect the coax output through another RCA cable to the coaxial input of your sound card or computer. The trick may be finding a driver for the ADC if it is not generic and an application to handle the recording.
Don, thanks!! You explained it in a way that I can now understand. Yes, the 2nd option, I just want to playback from PC media, not record. I have 2 Sennheiser Headphones Wireless, not bluetooth but Lossless both.Both have great sound but one is not as loud as I'd like and I'm thinking that the DAC might help better audio. If that works, I'll probably invest in a DAC of about $200-$350, in Israel for the last 10 years we can get from Amazon and this month Amazon is now in Israel. I have RS 180 https://bit.ly/2nv4uEb and RS 195 Sennheisers https://bit.ly/2lqLm9M connected to my PC up until now analog. I really appreciate not just your input, but the time invested.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I'm the wrong guy to ask about that but look through some of Amir's reviews and note the headphone output level (power) and impedance. Look for one with low output impedance and high power output if you want something louder. Hopefully others can offer specific recommendations -- I don't follow the headphone amp stuff, prefer speakers and spent my fair share of time with headphones on doing live sound, recording, and studio work. I like my big honkin' speakers. :)

Top Bottom