• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

China Post

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It will certainly hit us with respect to dirt cheap audio products from China.

It is nice to get such cheap access to China products. Then again I don't want to subsidize someone getting yoga pants. :)

Isn't the same scheme alive in Australia, UK, etc.? I often read reviews of dirt cheap electronics shipped to those countries as well.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
It will certainly hit us with respect to dirt cheap audio products from China.

It is nice to get such cheap access to China products. Then again I don't want to subsidize someone getting yoga pants. :)

Isn't the same scheme alive in Australia, UK, etc.? I often read reviews of dirt cheap electronics shipped to those countries as well.

Australia, too. I haven't heard of a review of our agreement but our government is likely to follow yours.

Snafu

$1 yoga pants ? Ah, is this why all yoga people hate Trump.

My own experience with China post (to EU area): they give flying f's for collecting taxes and use couriers that don't collect them either (vs if i buy something from USA i pay taxes&shipping when ordering). Last product was Topping DAC and when i asked from courier about taxes they were like LOL, you can do it if you want, just contact customs... sure i will...

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really don't understand the Chinese-US postal situation. How they can manufacture and ship so cheaply. It has to be on 'our' end. I've heard there's a subsidy. I bought a headband for my AT headphones--the fabric was disintegrating. I think product plus shipping was a couple of dollars. I mean, I can't even get in my car and drive anywhere for that price, even if I could find someone selling headbands for AT headphones. Unbelievable.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
The USPS is hemorrhaging money. This is one way to stop the bleeding. The tariff situation is more likely to impact the crowd around here, but I have a feeling it will ease up by year end.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The USPS is hemorrhaging money. This is one way to stop the bleeding. The tariff situation is more likely to impact the crowd around here, but I have a feeling it will ease up by year end.
Well...I'm ready to do my part. Double tariffs. I'll pay six dollars for an AT headband instead of three, if it'll keep the mail going! LOL

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tariffs or not, I too find it hard to understand how I can buy an amplifier from China for £ 1.90 including free postage to the UK.

I wanted to buy two LM1875 chips but found I could buy two complete amplifier kits including PCB and components, delivered to my door, for half the price of just the chips from a UK supplier. Even if the LM1875 turns out to be a fake, and doesn't work very well, I can just buy new chips and have the PCBs etc. effectively for free.

Madness, but it's not the first time. I bought a DAC for £3.95 including postage, just to try it out. It's utter crap technically, but it didn't stop one manufacturer recommending it on their forum as a bargain.

S.

Neutron

Tariffs or not, I too find it hard to understand how I can buy an amplifier from China for £ 1.90 including free postage to the UK.

I wanted to buy two LM1875 chips but found I could buy two complete amplifier kits including PCB and components, delivered to my door, for half the price of just the chips from a UK supplier. Even if the LM1875 turns out to be a fake, and doesn't work very well, I can just buy new chips and have the PCBs etc. effectively for free.

Madness, but it's not the first time. I bought a DAC for £3.95 including postage, just to try it out. It's utter crap technically, but it didn't stop one manufacturer recommending it on their forum as a bargain.

S.

Sometimes they used this to boost traffic. In China, platforms normally charge merchants to boost listings up. It’s cheaper to price certain products unreasonably cheap to attract buyers in through search instead of paying platforms. Some products are specifically made for that purpose.

Last edited:
Top Bottom