• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

chili soup

• Thread starter Deleted member 21219
  • Start date

Pogre

I'm with you re cilantro--I "reserve" it when doing pot lucks and dinner parties.
I think it adds a pop of freshness and works well with citrus flavors and chiles.

Well... Unless it tastes like soap to you. Then it doesn't work well with anything, lol.

MKreroo

I think it adds a pop of freshness and works well with citrus flavors and chiles.

Well... Unless it tastes like soap to you. Then it doesn't work well with anything, lol.

No.....pls not cilantro.... :)

Being part of the soap taste group and damn do they ruin the meal for me.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I grove my own Chilli, Hungarian Rogas and yellow pepperonis. I make moderate hot chilli from beff, onion, red pepper, Chilli.
We have a tradition of similar meals without chilli, all kinds of stues, Gulash and fish soups so try some if you wish.
For example: Leskovačka Mućkalica, Gulash (Hungarian), sitni ćevap...
Personally I appreciate more and more lighter variants and not too spicy with reacher base (variety of vegetables mostly from beans family, some grains and of course meat) as I grow older. Used to make them often now not so much recently (got lazy and it's to hot for any serious cooking hire and now).

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
As a native Texan, I must admit to being confuzzled. There is chili, and there is soup. There is no chili soup. Such a Venn diagram simply cannot exist!

robwpdx

Hahaha, this thread bounced up in new posts. I will add a unique one, Cincinnati (Ohio, USA) Chili. It originated in Greek or Macedonian immigrants. It has spices inspired by Moussaka. It has bay leaf, cinnamon and cocoa - you can find recipes and spice packets to make it at home. In that city there are several fast food late night restaurant chains. It is served over wheat spaghetti, with raw onions and medium grated cheddar cheese, with or without beans. I sometimes make it at home. It does not have cumin, and I add more chopped tomatoes.

My friends who have competed in chili contests swear by espresso. You can't taste it as espresso in the final dish, but it influences the flavor.

dfuller

Major Contributor
For chili I tend to use chuck that I'll mince in a food processor. Texture is better than ground beef/beef mince but it doesn't take nearly so long to get tender as larger chunks.

robwpdx

Yup. Been there, done that. I'm not too fond of it, because I really do like the flavor of several native Mexican chile peppers .... just not real hot. :)

Jim
It is different.

Yes. We have so many chili varieties and only a fraction are found in groceries. A friend of mine is from Thailand now living around Sacramento. The same chili seeds, for those about inch and a half long Thai chilis, are hotter grown in California than grown in Thailand around Bangkok. The soil probably matters too. The famous Hatch Chili is a product of selective breeding, I believe by the University of New Mexico.

There is a good argument for a style of chili where the vegetables, including the chilis are not cooked down, and are even a little crunchy, like a stew. There is another recipe for chili vegetable tomato stew with cinnamon, no beans, which includes peanuts or even peanut butter.

Thanks for the topic!

Last edited:

WeaponizedApe

I'm sitting here listening to music and attacking a big bowl of my home-made chili soup. I love it. Now understand, I'm not talking about chile con carne, and I'm also not talking about Texas chili, which is a subject with a world of its own. I'm talking about what some people call "chili bean soup". It has many permutations.

Some people use cut beef only, while others use hamburger (I think Brits call it "minced beef") and still others use beef with pork sausage, sausage alone, chicken alone (I like that one) and various other meats.
Some use red kidney beans, while others use various other beans. Some add beer (I don't) and some add various wines (I sometimes do) and some add masa harina. Some add cocoa, and some don't.
And some like it hot! (I did 20 years ago, but now may stomach won't tolerate that.)

I'm always interested in new recipes. What's your favorite way to make chili soup?
Campbell's tomato juice, ground beef (fresh market) tomato paste, diced tomatoes, chili beans medium heat, Cumin, chili powder, salt,pepper, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and some ginger powder. Get many requests to make it for tailgates, and get together. Brings the kids home when they know I made it.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Tortilla soup.

Top Bottom