• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Children safety and tower speakers vs. speaker stands

D

Deleted member 48726

The best way to protect children from falling speakers is to hang the speakers on hangers from the ceiling. :p
Hang the children from the ceiling you mean, to protect the speakers surely?;)

When our kids were toddlers I decided to pack away my hifi gear. It's unavoidable to have some kind of accident with toddlers. They are all over the place and if they don't fall, the thing they stand against does.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zapper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When my children were toddlers in the 90's I put my speakers in storage and bought one of those 2.1 systems with tiny satellites that were popular then (Cambidge Soundworks, not Bose). The satellites could be mounted high on a shelf or on the wall, and space was getting tight anyway in our small condo. When we bought a house I got a 5.1 HT system, again with CSW satellites securely fastened to the walls and cables routed out of reach.

But such a sacrifice is too much to ask of an ASR audiophile!

If I ever get grandkids something will need to be done; heavy speakers on narrow stands or narrow towers are an accident waiting to happen. Cables need to be secured too, so they can't be used to pull speakers off stands or shelves.

Trell

Major Contributor
When my children were toddlers in the 90's I put my speakers in storage and bought one of those 2.1 systems with tiny satellites that were popular then (Cambidge Soundworks, not Bose). The satellites could be mounted high on a shelf or on the wall, and space was getting tight anyway in our small condo. When we bought a house I got a 5.1 HT system, again with CSW satellites securely fastened to the walls and cables routed out of reach.

But such a sacrifice is too much to ask of an ASR audiophile!

If I ever get grandkids something will need to be done; heavy speakers on narrow stands or narrow towers are an accident waiting to happen. Cables need to be secured too, so they can't be used to pull speakers off stands or shelves.

Much can be done to avoid accidents by planning a layout of rooms where things are not in the way of natural movement of people and including what Bill Maher calls needy, feral monsters aka children. One can still get a very good placement of speakers but perhaps not the best one.

Top Bottom