• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Child safety: Bookshelf speakers on stands vs. tower speakers

warthor

I have been oscillating back in forth between tower and bookshelf speakers for an upgrade (I currently have large towers). In some ways I would prefer bookshelf speakers because you don't have to pay as much for shipping, you can buy one model up the chain compared to towers etc.
My question is whether bookshelves will be safe on stands with children (and my children will be safe from the speakers). I have two very young ones. My current towers can't really be knocked over by my kiddos, and seem safer than bookshelves speakers on stands. How easy is it to knock over speakers on stands?

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
If your kids are crawling remember that they'll grab onto things to pull themselves up and most stands are tube type. You'd probably want a stand with a large base and is fillable with shot or sand. You might also want to actually attach bookshelf spkrs to the top plate of the stand. My spkr stands have a threaded hole on each corner of the top plate for spikes (which I don't use) so you could use screws to keep them attached to the stand.

I don't have (small) kids around but I wouldn't have the small spkrs on stands if you feel that your towers are safer with the kids around.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am always afraid of knocking over a bookshelf speaker without having children around! I would find a way to stick them inside of a bookshelf that itself is screwed to the wall for the safest solution.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand why some kind of screw or peg mounting points aren't standard on all bookshelves. Fortunately they are more common on studio monitors, although shamefully still not ubiquitous. I personally wouldn't buy any that can't be securely fixed to a stand.

RC231

when my son was starting to crawl I switched from floorstanders to ceiling mounted bookshelf speakers for this reason. I also added a sub to fill out the bass

Top Bottom