• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chernobyl series on HBO

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
I found it really incredible that they couldn't move it on wheels cause bearings couldn't be made to handle the weight load.
But it could be dragged along on Teflon skid plates. wow.
That was a really good addition to the show, as the latter stops before the 2000s.
My favourite bits were the ‘cat flaps’ to get round the odd shape of the original containment structure.
There are a couple of cheesy EBRD you tube videos which go in more detail into the design and development of the new tomb. It took them over five years of design work, before they started building anything, as this is such a unique project.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Just recorded, from free-to-air, a doco on the Chernobyl waste containment facility. Massive.

Newk Yuler

Nominated for several Emmys including Outstanding Limited Series. I'll be surprised if it doesn't win.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nominated for several Emmys including Outstanding Limited Series. I'll be surprised if it doesn't win.
Maybe the last one before AT&T's ownership destroys the whole HBO quality thing.

I’ve watched the whole lot and it’s absolutely incredible TV, one of the best things I’ve watched in years. The first episode felt like a horror, the sense of doom & dread never lets up. It’s utterly heartbreaking in parts too. Impeccably made, written and acted - TV show of the year without a doubt.

DKT88

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately it tends to be the case that if you understand the underlying story and technology any dramatization (an almost all news media stories) will be found wanting. However, this was riveting drama and on the whole I thought it was extremely well done.

DKT88

On the whole, yes, except for radiation science, which by the way was the point of the whole thing.

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
On the whole, yes, except for radiation science, which by the way was the point of the whole thing.
Really, I thought it was environmental history. Or crisis management. Or history of the USSR. Or a bunch of things I’m really interested in.

kevinh

I spent a lot of my career working with Computer Modeling and FEA systems. When I see Journalist pushing AGW Climate "science' I cringe.

DKT88

Really, I thought it was environmental history. Or crisis management. Or history of the USSR. Or a bunch of things I’m really interested in.
yeah agree, its fundamentally human factors in complex systems. Same as TMI and Fukushima. But, what the public is generally concerned with is radiation exposure, not human reliability in complex systems.

Top Bottom