• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Check the new Aiyima A300 balanced amplifier out!

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This looks good!

gomar

The stated specs look incredible. If this one measures as well as the PA5 this might be my next purchase to drive kef q950's.
At the moment I'm running a 30 dollar nobsound NS-10G and I have to say it doesn't sound too terrible.
Not in the same league as my active ls50 wireless set, but that broke a month after my warranty expired.. so no actives ever again for me.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Specs say 2.2V max input over balanced. Is it really a balanced input with cmr?
Flea market power ratings don't inspire confidence.
Price looks really good for what it offers assuming it is balanced and can do 50W+@8Ω clean.

OP
Schlippwhip68

Schlippwhip68

The stated specs look incredible. If this one measures as well as the PA5 this might be my next purchase to drive kef q950's.
At the moment I'm running a 30 dollar nobsound NS-10G and I have to say it doesn't sound too terrible.
Not in the same league as my active ls50 wireless set, but that broke a month after my warranty expired.. so no actives ever again for me.
I had one of those little amps, the Nobsound NS-10G pro (pro version has better speaker terminals). A powerful little amp, very punchy and a really handy little size. Great to have one handy as a little backup.

OP
Schlippwhip68

Schlippwhip68

Specs say 2.2V max input over balanced. Is it really a balanced input with cmr?
Flea market power ratings don't inspire confidence.
Price looks really good for what it offers assuming it is balanced and can do 50W+@8Ω clean.
I would say around 50-60 watts cleans @8ohms at 00.01% distortion. That's my guess work but if it is as well implemented as Aiyima have their A04/A07/A08 then we could be looking at a very good little balanced amp that will drive most speakers very well indeed at a very reasonable price.

JSmith

Master Contributor
The stated specs look incredible.
Meh... review up, not excellent or great really, pretty average, but well priced for available power;

JSmith

OP
Schlippwhip68

Schlippwhip68

Meh... review up, not excellent or great really, pretty average, but well priced for available power;

JSmith
Cheers, I have an A08 on the way and hope it does not have the same issues to be honest but I think it may be a little better than the A300 on the basis of one or two other reviews.

benherrmann

Foremost, if you are aware of the highly reviewed Aiyima Amps such as the A07 and A08, you would be delighted to realize that the A300 also has interchangeable op amps which will make a huge difference in output.

The firsts thing I did with the A300 is to change out the 5 op-amp slots in that unit. If you don't want to spend much money at all, get the Texas Instruments model LME49720NA ops amp, which you can get it at (do NOTE: This amp requires a dual channel model, which these are):

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/texas-instruments/LME49720NA-NOPB/1647708

It lists for only $3.41 each or $30.63 for a pack of 10. I was so surprised what a difference this op amp made in terms of linearity, dynamics, and overall smoothness.

The next op amp I tried - and far more expensive, is the Sparkos Labs SS3602 discrete op amp. This is the type of op amp often touted by audiophiles to really improve things, and it most certainly did. Yes, I had 5 of them on hand (they are rather expensive), and linearity-wise, they made things even smoother with great 3D effects, imaging, and depth. Discrete versions of op amps tend to be larger and more expensive, and generally acknowledged to be some of the best-sounding versions you can get. You can get the Sparkos Labs SS3602 (if you are inclined to spend the money) at:

https://sparkoslabs.com/product/dual-discrete-op-amp-ss3602/;

Do keep in mind, Sparkos Labs offer a discount right off the bat and if you are a repeat customer - which I tend to be - they give you a 20% return customer discount (RETURN20). One tends to enjoy doing business with this small operation, and you can pepper them with questions and the owner typically responds within 24 hours with a wealth of information.

Now to to make this A300 sing, and sound more like an amp that costs anywhere from 3-5 times as much, switch out the op amps as mentioned above, there are a few things you need to do. First off, do be careful to install them properly. These things are easy to install - the key is to line them up and not insert them backwards which will fry the op amp immediately. There is an excellent video that Sparkos Labs puts out with regard to installing them, and it's here:

Then leave your amp on - don't keep turning it off and on. In general, Audiophiles tend to keep their gear on all the time because as time passes, things warm up/break-in, and the sound tends to improve (there are exceptions of course). In each instance, adding new op amps in the likes of the A07, A08 and the A300, have improved the quality of the audio output substantially - in the areas of improved linearity, imaging, sound-staging, depth perception, and instrument timbre. And I don't make these claims lightly. I've been an audiophile for over 55 years now. However, now my audiophile efforts are confined to a desktop, near-field scenario.

The gear I used to evaluate the A300 (and other amps) are:

Speakers: KEF Q150's and Wharfedale D340's
DAC's: Various Schiit models, iFi ZenDAC V2, JDS Labs Atom DAC X, and the Topping D10S
Speaker cables: By Audioquest and Blue Jeans Cables
USB cables: By Audioquest and Monprice
RCA cables: By World's Best Cables (WBC) and Blue Jeans Cables.

Hey look gang, all we can do is observe, experiment, and then make suggestions - which I'm doing here. The Aiyima amps are a bargain and can be made to sound like some of the "big boys" out there by changing out a few things. Good luck...

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Foremost, if you are aware of the highly reviewed Aiyima Amps such as the A07 and A08, you would be delighted to realize that the A300 also has interchangeable op amps which will make a huge difference in output.

The firsts thing I did with the A300 is to change out the 5 op-amp slots in that unit. If you don't want to spend much money at all, get the Texas Instruments model LME49720NA ops amp, which you can get it at (do NOTE: This amp requires a dual channel model, which these are):

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/texas-instruments/LME49720NA-NOPB/1647708

It lists for only $3.41 each or $30.63 for a pack of 10. I was so surprised what a difference this op amp made in terms of linearity, dynamics, and overall smoothness.

The next op amp I tried - and far more expensive, is the Sparkos Labs SS3602 discrete op amp. This is the type of op amp often touted by audiophiles to really improve things, and it most certainly did. Yes, I had 5 of them on hand (they are rather expensive), and linearity-wise, they made things even smoother with great 3D effects, imaging, and depth. Discrete versions of op amps tend to be larger and more expensive, and generally acknowledged to be some of the best-sounding versions you can get. You can get the Sparkos Labs SS3602 (if you are inclined to spend the money) at:

Do keep in mind, Sparkos Labs offer a discount right off the bat and if you are a repeat customer - which I tend to be - they give you a 20% return customer discount (RETURN20). One tends to enjoy doing business with this small operation, and you can pepper them with questions and the owner typically responds within 24 hours with a wealth of information.

Now to to make this A300 sing, and sound more like an amp that costs anywhere from 3-5 times as much, switch out the op amps as mentioned above, there are a few things you need to do. First off, do be careful to install them properly. These things are easy to install - the key is to line them up and not insert them backwards which will fry the op amp immediately. There is an excellent video that Sparkos Labs puts out with regard to installing them, and it's here:

Then leave your amp on - don't keep turning it off and on. In general, Audiophiles tend to keep their gear on all the time because as time passes, things warm up/break-in, and the sound tends to improve (there are exceptions of course). In each instance, adding new op amps in the likes of the A07, A08 and the A300, have improved the quality of the audio output substantially - in the areas of improved linearity, imaging, sound-staging, depth perception, and instrument timbre. And I don't make these claims lightly. I've been an audiophile for over 55 years now. However, now my audiophile efforts are confined to a desktop, near-field scenario.

DAC's: Various Schiit models, iFi ZenDAC V2, JDS Labs Atom DAC X, and the Topping D10S

Hey look gang, all we can do is observe, experiment, and then make suggestions - which I'm doing here. The Aiyima amps are a bargain and can be made to sound like some of the "big boys" out there by changing out a few things. Good luck...
What op-amps are you using/do you recommend for an Aiyima a07, Ben? Just curious.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Discrete versions of op amps tend to be larger and more expensive, and generally acknowledged to be some of the best-sounding versions you can get.
Not true that they are generally acknowledged to be some of the best sounding versions. The opposite is factual. OP amp rolling is hit and miss and you are offering it with some misplaced ideas. Otherwise it's great practice with working on PCB's and identifying components and reading some technical literature if one goes that far or is simply going to follow some random internet dood and stuff.

benherrmann

What op-amps are you using/do you recommend for an Aiyima a07, Ben? Just curious.
After trying half dozen different op amps, I found the two that I mentioned in my reply above to function the best - but then sound is a very subjective scenario. In my A07, I used the Sparkos Labs and was very happy with the result.

benherrmann

Not true that they are generally acknowledged to be some of the best sounding versions. The opposite is factual. OP amp rolling is hit and miss and you are offering it with some misplaced ideas. Otherwise it's great practice with working on PCB's and identifying components and reading some technical literature if one goes that far or is simply going to follow some random internet dood and stuff.
Well, I don't know about the "not true" part. We all have our opinions and I rendered mine based on what I am experiencing. If that experience doesn't mesh with your view on the matter, then hey - that's life. As for the reference to "random internet dood and stuff," then I hope that in some way, your retort made you feel better.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I don't know about the "not true" part. We all have our opinions and I rendered mine based on what I am experiencing. If that experience doesn't mesh with your view on the matter, then hey - that's life. As for the reference to "random internet dood and stuff," then I hope that in some way, your retort made you feel better.
If you are offering your opinions with some mind spin that is awkward. OP amp rolling is for near all rollers not a science and other than support doing it with advice and technical support I don't recommend rolling them. To recommend discreet OP amps as being superior was verging on snake oil commentary. You are furthering your vague ranking of them with more of the same commentary.

benherrmann

If you are offering your opinions with some mind spin that is awkward. OP amp rolling is for near all rollers not a science and other than support doing it with advice and technical support I don't recommend rolling them. To recommend discreet OP amps as being superior was verging on snake oil commentary. You are furthering your vague ranking of them with more of the same commentary.
You truly have an intellectual superiority complex, don't you - and seemingly, are determined to have the last word? But hey, for the purpose of not allowing this to run on, "you're right - I'm sure you always are!" I initially chimed in to state - based on my experiences - that changing the op amps in the likes of some of the Aiyima amps, can make a world of sonic difference - and the same holds true with the A300. My "personal experiences" with discrete op amps, have shown me that in many (but not all) audio devices where op amps can be changed out, the discrete ones sounded the best. I know it's subjective, and I've read on a variety of sites where op amps were discussed, that many found the discrete ones to sound better. If you (or whoever) disagree, that's OK. Now if you wish to continue this bantering, by all mean s please go ahead, as I'm done with this thread. You'll have to argue with yourself here.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You truly have an intellectual superiority complex, don't you - and seemingly, are determined to have the last word? But hey, for the purpose of not allowing this to run on, "you're right - I'm sure you always are!" I initially chimed in to state - based on my experiences - that changing the op amps in the likes of some of the Aiyima amps, can make a world of sonic difference - and the same holds true with the A300. My "personal experiences" with discrete op amps, have shown me that in many (but not all) audio devices where op amps can be changed out, the discrete ones sounded the best. I know it's subjective, and I've read on a variety of sites where op amps were discussed, that many found the discrete ones to sound better. If you (or whoever) disagree, that's OK. Now if you wish to continue this bantering, by all mean s please go ahead, as I'm done with this thread. You'll have to argue with yourself here.
Send in some of your rolling results in a device under test setup to ASR for lab testing.

JP Munoz

Just plugged in the Sparko's and all I can say is wow! Excellent suggestion. I made a combo Aune X8 with DAMP Sparkos and the Aiyima A300 with Sparkos, soooo good.

slo_audio_dad

I'm gonna try the TI's but why the heck would you put a $400 upgrade into a $200 product? I feel like I would opt for getting a LS90 instead at that point.

Top Bottom