• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheapo HDMI Audio Extractor - some measurements

OP
Lalaland

Lalaland

What use scenario such a device can be used in?
I guess it has some various uses in HT setups, but for me personally it is only a dirt-cheap soundcard/DAC with 8 channels for active crossover duty

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess it has some various uses in HT setups, but for me personally it is only a dirt-cheap soundcard/DAC with 8 channels for active crossover duty
What will be your source, a computer?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use a similar setup. My switch is 4k/DV/HDR10 capable and has SPDIF extraction. In my case I don't use it's extraction capability. For that I use an HDFury Vertex 2 which also has SPDIF audio extraction (on optical) and is also a 4 HDMI input switch. I connect thru optical to an RME ADI-2 DAC. All my HDMI audio sources (PS5. Xbox One X, Oppo 203, Panasonic 820, Nvidia Shield and Panasonic DMP500) go thru the 4k switch/HDfury or directly thru the HDFury. My PC uses the USB. I use my PC for HT, gaming and music. Two channel only. The RME is connected to a Behringer A800 and a pair of JBL A190's.
Am I correct in my understanding that you only use two channels, i.e. stereo, not eight channels like the OP?

sailor2005

Am I correct in my understanding that you only use two channels, i.e. stereo, not eight channels like the OP?
Neverrmind mind what I said. I confused the OP's device with my switch!!!!... Mine has analog output too but only two channels. This was my first ASR-post without carefully reading post! And I hate those. Well, there's always that first time to be that guy.

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
What use scenario such a device can be used in?

I was about to say too. OP has a particular unusual use case but I wonder what the manfacturer intended the 'average buyer' is to use for this.

As I said in the advertising diagram they say you just stick it into the 7.1 inputs on a surround receiver... but then you dont have any level control except for your master volume control.... so I hope you're happy with whatever is coming out of the rca outputs.

OP
Lalaland

Lalaland

What will be your source, a computer?
Yes, correct. I have been until now been using a laptop with HDMI port to experiment with EqualizerAPO and Rephase. More permanently a small HTPC will take over, possibly with CamillaDSP

OP
Lalaland

Lalaland

I was about to say too. OP has a particular unusual use case but I wonder what the manfacturer intended the 'average buyer' is to use for this.

As I said in the advertising diagram they say you just stick it into the 7.1 inputs on a surround receiver... but then you dont have any level control except for your master volume control.... so I hope you're happy with whatever is coming out of the rca outputs.
You make a good point about intended use, and I guess it would be very particular need that would make this product useful. But since you mentioned manufacturers intended purpose, I thought I could share what they write in the manual (or rather pamphlet):

"It is one perfect audio converter for your DVD, Blue-ray DVD, PS3, X360BOX, HD player, PC etc."

So maybe if you have some HT processor or something with seperate power amps, I don't know. Anyhow, they continue with:

"The product are designed to make your A/V device use more convenient, comfortable, productive and cost-effective" ;)

datrumole

You make a good point about intended use, and I guess it would be very particular need that would make this product useful. But since you mentioned manufacturers intended purpose, I thought I could share what they write in the manual (or rather pamphlet):

"It is one perfect audio converter for your DVD, Blue-ray DVD, PS3, X360BOX, HD player, PC etc."

So maybe if you have some HT processor or something with seperate power amps, I don't know. Anyhow, they continue with:

"The product are designed to make your A/V device use more convenient, comfortable, productive and cost-effective" ;)
thank you for this!

i've been looking to do a little project behind my bedroom tv, with no real space for an AVR. basically run a chromecast into something like this, get LCR out of it, and into some 3116d2's, then into a dayton audio B41 'sound bar' so i dont have to deal with the 5.1 downmix that ruins dialogue (dont care if i lose SUR in the bedroom)

so if i'm reading this correctly, your getting near 100 SINAD off this thing on the analog?

also, i've been using EqualizerAPO, had never heard of camillaDSP, any thoughts between the two?

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
As for potential use:
I used a similar device to drive a pure analog 5.1 preamp, like the Parasound PSp1500 or others. Some of those devices, like that Parasound, have a DB25 input connector for Mch which requires expensive cables or a solder iron.
I guess this box extracts only from LPCM traveling along the Hdmi cable.

OP
Lalaland

Lalaland

thank you for this!

i've been looking to do a little project behind my bedroom tv, with no real space for an AVR. basically run a chromecast into something like this, get LCR out of it, and into some 3116d2's, then into a dayton audio B41 'sound bar' so i dont have to deal with the 5.1 downmix that ruins dialogue (dont care if i lose SUR in the bedroom)

so if i'm reading this correctly, your getting near 100 SINAD off this thing on the analog?

also, i've been using EqualizerAPO, had never heard of camillaDSP, any thoughts between the two?
I'm no expert but I believe it is closer to 80dB SINAD, or 79 in posted measurment. I can't run 0dBFS into my input so I don't know if that would improve or degrade the result. Anyways, I'm pretty sure this device will not be degrade the SQ in your use case so it will probably be fine.

In regards to EQAPO vs. Camilla DSP my experience is that EQAPO was far less demanding to get going but I have not used Camilla DSP enough to say which is best. EQAPO continues to impress as a powerful tool, but maybe not the best looking interface.

Top Bottom