• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheapest "transparent" DAC with balanced output and volume control

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought about that one but it would be near as expensive as the amp and the speakers (bargain Focal Aria 906). A bit overkill imho.

If something under 200€ existed, it would be nice.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I thought about that one but it would be near as expensive as the amp and the speakers (bargain Focal Aria 906). A bit overkill imho.

If something under 200€ existed, it would be nice.

Balanced is the killer...

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is balanced output on 1/4" TSR connector acceptable? Balanced cables with that one end and XLR the other are commonly used to patch pro audio gear. If so then you have more options under 200 including the nice new MOTU M2. I like these things because they give you a way to hook up an analog source too.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is balanced output on 1/4" TSR connector acceptable? Balanced cables with that one end and XLR the other are commonly used to patch pro audio gear. If so then you have more options under 200 including the nice new MOTU M2. I like these things because they give you a way to hook up an analog source too.

As long as the advantages of "balanced" are preserved, it is fine.

thefsb

As long as the advantages of "balanced" are preserved, it is fine.
Should be the same. It's just a differet connector for the same interface type. Browse the options on BHPhotoVideo or Sweetwater or whatever...

Alex-D

Motu M2 should be good for you, spec wise much better than Scarlett

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Didn't see that, thanks. Still a bit expensive but it is something to think about.

Apparently, they may have changed its product designation, there's a SU-9 that they showed recently but in black
mmexport1575968820346_1024x1024.jpg

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I already have a Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen which I use everyday in my living room.

The new DAC and the new chain will be installed in my parent's house, and for some reason I didn't even think about getting a Pro device instead of Hi-Fi gear. The Focusrite Solo would be nice enough I guess.

thefsb

XLR out and cheap. How is the performance?
And 4 outs allows you to connect subs with a different signal going to them if you have suitable software. And the effects loop connections allows you to add an EQ device if you want.

Amir recommended the UMC204HD a model in the same line with less IO.

Dreyfus

Be aware that some of the cheaper audio interfaces do "only" come with impedance balanced XLR outs and thus do not work fully differential. That applies for the Behringer UMC units for example.
Not necessarily a pratical disadvantage though, as the common mode rejection is still maintained.

Top Bottom