• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheapest recommended dac for amp Topping A90

SweetLead

I need cheapest recommended dac for amp Topping A90. I need example with and without MQA. I want Topping A90 so bad, but DAC like d70s or d90 break my bank for a90 + d70s/d90 stack.

Iglo

Forum Donor
Do you need balanced output on the DAC to connect to the A90?

Otherwise a D10s or E30 could be a very capable option from Topping (albeit both without MQA and balanced out). If you need Balanced and MQA the Gustard X16 and SMSL M500 V2 comes to mind. Although the price of the Gustard is in the same ballpark as the Topping d70s and the SMSL not that far off.

OP
SweetLead

SweetLead

Do you need balanced output on the DAC to connect to the A90?

Otherwise a D10s or E30 could be a very capable option from Topping (albeit both without MQA and balanced out). If you need Balanced and MQA the Gustard X16 comes to mind but the price is in the same ballpark as the Topping d70s.
I don't have RCA or XLR cables yet. Topping A90 can do both. SMSL SU-9 DAC MQA is little cheaper then Gustard X16 and have RCA and XLR inputs. And if SMSL SU-9 DAC MQA is worthy for Topping A90 I will be happy.

Iglo

Forum Donor
Keep in mind that the SMSL I initially recommended is a DAC and headphone amp (so essentially will duplicate the amp function of the A90). It measures well though. If you only want a DAC with MQA and balanced out the SMSL SU-9 DAC MQA is indeed a fine contender.

The question is if you will notice any sound improvements from MQA at all vs a normal stream. Potentially a cheaper non-MQA dac with good measurements combined with the A90 will provide exactly the same audio quality*. Going with a cheaper DAC like the Topping D10s/E30 or if you want balanced D30pro or Schiit modius could save you some money. The Topping D10s and Schiit modius don't offer a volume control / remote. Depending on your use case a remote could come in handy.

* Not trying to start a MQA debate, just something you should determine if you find it necessary/useful ;-)

OP
SweetLead

SweetLead

Keep in mind that the SMSL I initially recommended is a DAC and headphone amp (so essentially will duplicate the amp function of the A90). It measures well though. If you only want a DAC with MQA and balanced out the SMSL SU-9 DAC MQA is indeed a fine contender.

The question is if you will notice any sound improvements from MQA at all vs a normal stream. Potentially a cheaper non-MQA dac with good measurements combined with the A90 will provide exactly the same audio quality*. Going with a cheaper DAC like the Topping D10s/E30 or if you want balanced D30pro or Schiit modius could save you some money. The Topping D10s and Schiit modius don't offer a volume control / remote. Depending on your use case a remote could come in handy.

* Not trying to start a MQA debate, just something you should determine if you find it necessary/useful ;-)
I want rather MQA DAC, because TIDAL. SMSL M500 is even cheaper then and that's ok for my pocket. I will use M500 as dac only for topping a90.

Iglo

Forum Donor

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
iFi Zen Dac signature is the cheapest MQA DAC that will do balanced out, albeit with a 4.4mm to XLR cable for the A90. The Burr Brown chip is not the best measuring, but I doubt anyone can hear a difference.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RZ9M7PJ

JSmith

Master Contributor
SMSL M500
Just to let you know some tests were done and this DAC performs quite differently depending on external and internal temperature, so for this reason I'm probably going to avoid same, even though nicely it has 2 optical inputs instead of 1.

Think it needs a heatsink installed;

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...own-ess-es9038pro-dac-thermal-analysis.10348/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...rmal-issue”-not-“golden-sample”.10267/page-10

Gustard X16 doesn't turn on/off via remote... switch on back only. SMSL SU-9 looks like the better contender then to me... although I am informed the screen doesn't dim or turn off during operation, however I don't think this is a complete deal breaker for me.

JSmith

Khadas Tone 2 Pro is $200 and has balanced outs (you need the proprietary balanced RCA to XLR adapter for $50 though), a headphone amp (albeit a rather weak one) and full MQA support. I have it and I can recommend it. Keep in mind it runs quite hot though.

Iglo

Forum Donor
Interesting, the Khadas Tone 2 Pro seems like a very good deal for a MQA balanced dac!

Top Bottom