• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheapest over-ears headphones with some sound quality?

steve59

Major Contributor
Grado sr80 is under $100 and sounds pretty good,

steve59

Major Contributor
the pair I had were pads, I replaced (after 20 years)them with focal listen also closed over ear. Grado is darker but I think the extra money for the listen is the long life battery and wireless capability.

xykreinov

Forum Donor
The Status Audio CB-1s are killer. I've had mine for years. They're $59, but can often be found for even less.
They're ultra-comfy, super easy to drive, and measure very well:
Status%20Audio%20SM-CB1.png

The main drawback seems to be build quality. Though, mine have taken the abuse of travel overseas over the years just fine. But, the pads have worn a lot, which has changed the sound a lot. They are a lot brighter than they used to be. I stuff toilet paper in the pads to mute the highs a bit.
1ec7p3.jpg

On the upside, the felt underneath the fake leather is very comfy. I might even argue the cans are even more comfortable without the fake leather still intact.

Last edited:

samwell7

Koss Porta Pro are really worth a listen. So clean at low volume, and quite flat. Very light also. And cheap of course.
I'm tossing up between the Porta Pros (or the other small Koss') and the AKG K240 studios.

Do you happen to have experience with both? I keep seeing things about the Porta Pro pulling hair, I need to take off my headphones and put them back on many times during the day so it might be an issue

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm tossing up between the Porta Pros (or the other small Koss') and the AKG K240 studios.

Do you happen to have experience with both? I keep seeing things about the Porta Pro pulling hair, I need to take off my headphones and put them back on many times during the day so it might be an issue

You can pop the drivers off the Porta Pro (or the KSC 75) and clip them right into a Parts Express headband. It's really easy, just unclip the terrible drivers from the PE headband, (toss them they are worthless!) and replace them with the Koss drivers. It's extremely comfortable and completely practical. You now have the world's most lightweight and supremely comfortable high quality headphone!

https://www.parts-express.com/parts...ightweight-headphones-with-4-ft-cord--240-015

samwell7

You can pop the drivers off the Porta Pro (or the KSC 75) and clip them right into a Parts Express headband. It's really easy, just unclip the terrible drivers from the PE headband, (toss them they are worthless!) and replace them with the Koss drivers. It's extremely comfortable and completely practical. You now have the world's most lightweight and supremely comfortable high quality headphone!

https://www.parts-express.com/parts...ightweight-headphones-with-4-ft-cord--240-015

Thanks for that! I'd seen the headband mod showing up when I was looking into the KSC 75 as I'd heard the KSC 75 had better sound quality than the Porta Pros, I think this will be the way to go. I just need to source the headband (I'm in Australia).

Edit: the parts express headband is 18AUD, finding it hard to pay nearly $20 for something that sells for like $3 in the US

Last edited:

samwell7

I ended up buying a set of AKG K240 studios and a set of velour pads.
I had these headphones years ago and remember them fondly, time will tell how much my sound preferences have changed when they arrive in mid-January.

Thanks @nas for starting this thread, it's been helpful

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I h

I have not used the AKG K240 and can't tell which is best. The Koss is cheap and has a good sound for the price. I have short hair and no problem.
Try both if you can.

samwell7

I h

I have not used the AKG K240 and can't tell which is best. The Koss is cheap and has a good sound for the price. I have short hair and no problem.
Try both if you can.
Good to know it doesn't pull your hair, if I can continue working from home in 2021 and onwards I'll definitely buy some Koss' and do a bit of a comparison, I'm very interested in the PortaPros, KSC 75 and the KPH30i, they all look to be similar but different in their own way. From what I've seen/read the KSC 75 seems to have a bit more detail/treble

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That only looks that way because a different test fixture/process and scaling was used. ;)

On the same rig the Nighthawk measured and sounded like this:
fr-nighthawk.png

Jose Hidalgo

I was of course kidding, but you don't always get my sense of humor. I'll keep trying. :)
Also, please do note that AFAIK nobody else has measured that 7K dip. It doesn't exist. It's a measurement error.
Here are the very recent Oratory measurements for the Nighthawk Wood with the stockpads, using his GRAS45BC measuring equipment. I don't know if he has published them yet. No 7K dip. ;)

Attachments

• Audioquest Nighthawk (Stockpads Hybrid) (Harman).pdf
    325.5 KB · Views: 451
Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
yes, that is cancellation and because I apply no smoothing you can see it. It is position dependent and is not present IRL.
Same headphone, different measurement position no 7kHz dip
nhs-seal.png

In one measurement it popped up at another frequency.
You may have guessed it... seal measurement.

Jose Hidalgo

That's why it's so important to position headphones adequately, and even average several positions. Because graphs like the one with the 7 KHz dip may frighten some people and make them think that the cans are flawed when they're absolutely not. :)

samwell7

I h

Try both if you can.
I've just ordered the PortaPros, I had a set of K240s and they were exactly how I remember, nice mids and decent treble but boosted mid-bass with no sub-bass, I returned the K240s (only because I have a set of K702s), although if the K240 was all I had I wouldn't be too mad about it, they're a nice headphone

Top Bottom