• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheapest Full Range 20hz - 20khz Speakers?

Logan Nolag

Does anyone know what the cheapest pair of full audible range 20hz - 20khz speakers there are? It seems like every pair of speakers I can find that can play the full 20hz - 20khz range cost tens of thousands of dollars.

I would really like to get a pair of full range speakers that can play full range without a sub but there is no way I will ever be able to afford $50000 speakers.

hege

Forum Donor
Depends on your room. If it leaks all the bass, there's not many speakers playing down to 20hz by itself. In a conrete basement much less is needed..

Pretty much all Genelecs have steep highpass filters at 30-40hz, only exception is maybe 8260A. Or 1235A/1236A..

Taipuu 3-ways will do it for 20k€. :D BMS 18" for the win..
https://taipuuspeakers.fi/en/taipuu-speakers-dsp-active-speakers/

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Please also consider that to reach linearly 20 Hz at your listening position you usually don't need loudspeakers that have their -3dB do deep as due to room gain those frequencies are usually significantly boosted, so often a -3dB point of around 30 Hz is enough.

OP
L

Logan Nolag

Please also consider that to reach linearly 20 Hz at your listening position you usually don't need loudspeakers that have their -3dB do deep as due to room gain those frequencies are usually significantly boosted, so often a -3dB point of around 30 Hz is enough.

Interesting.

hege

Forum Donor
Yea but you need to find a ported speaker with <=30hz tuning if you don't want 20hz to be uncontrollable flabbing. If you go sealed, it's either low SPLs at 20hz or then you need a big driver.

There's no way going around it, large commercial speakers are large money. And not all large speakers are even tuned low.

Just get some subs as a speaker stand.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
Does anyone know what the cheapest pair of full audible range 20hz - 20khz speakers there are? It seems like every pair of speakers I can find that can play the full 20hz - 20khz range cost tens of thousands of dollars.

I would really like to get a pair of full range speakers that can play full range without a sub but there is no way I will ever be able to afford $50000 speakers.
If you reside in the EU region, have a look at the Magnat range or the Heco range or Canton range.

tuga

Major Contributor
Are there any 20-20,000 speakers?
Is that 20Hz in-room at 0dB?
You're looking at at least 4-way, preferably 5-way for the lowest 10Hz.

Unless you don't care about the quality of the bottom of the sub-bass (not that you'd need it since there's hardly anything recorded at those frequencies...traffic driving past the symphony hall, or a chap snoring in the audience?).

LearningToSmile

Cheapest that I run across are the GoldenEar Tritons - but that's going by the manufacturer spec, I'm not sure how reliable those are. Maybe someone knows independent measurements.

Triton Three+ claims frequency response 21 Hz - 35 kHz(no idea if -3dB or -10dB, probably the latter) for $1,399.00 each.
Triton Two+ is 16 Hz - 35 kHz for $1,999.00 each
Triton One.R is 13 Hz - 35 kHz for $3,299.00 each
and their flagship Reference model is $4,999.00 each for 12 Hz - 35 kHz

Those are passive with a built-in powered subwoofer section.

detlev24

It is not expensive to build a loudspeaker that extends down to 20 Hz (especially not, if taking "room gain" into account); powered loudspeakers can be tuned this way easily.

The question is which SPL might a loudspeaker be able to reach down to 20 Hz before distortion gets crazy high.

For instance in Europe, the German manufacturer 'Nubert' offers relatively inexpensive powered loudspeakers (nuPro A and revised nuPro X series) that measure well and many of those extend down to 20 Hz in a typical room. The bottleneck is SPL; the bigger models reach "only" ~100 dB SPL prior distortion becomes dominating.

Still pretty expensive. Also I already have amps so passive is better.
How about a pair of JTR loudspeakers? The Noesis 215RT would get you there without 'cheating' and for "only" $3599 each.

Efficiency is great at 95 dB [2.0 volts, free air] and with enough amplification power they get crazy loud - with relatively low distortion.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Are you asking for 20 to 20 because someone suggested it, or do you have actual needs? Very few males can hear anywhere near 20K and only when they were young. Very little music is below 60. A speaker flat do 20 Hz would be horrible in a room as would one flat to 20K.

Using subs as speaker stands is by far the most practical. Deep bass requires big cabinets. Monkey coffins went out of style back in the 80's.

Go listen to a pair of Vanderstein 2CE's and then think if you really need more. They are the quintessential " do no wrong" speaker. When put in a real room, they do have bass down into the low 20's.

tuga

Major Contributor
How about a pair of JTR loudspeakers? The Noesis 215RT would get you there without 'cheating' and for "only" $3599 each.

Efficiency is great at 95 dB [2.0 volts, free air] and with enough amplification power they get crazy loud - with relatively low distortion.

Without cheating you say, a ported 95dB-sensitivity 3-way (albeit with two woofers).
You can't get 20-20k from a 3-way.
It will make some noises but you need at least two dedicated "ways" to properly (re)produce high fidelity bass and sub-bass. Horses for courses and all that.

detlev24

Has anyone listed to these (active) speakers?:

https://www.buchardtaudio.com/products/a700-black ... "17 - 40.000 Hz ±1.5dB"
I doubt it, as the website states "DELIVERY NOVEMBER 11-18".

However, the price is per piece - not exactly what the OP is looking for, I guess.

Without cheating you say, a ported 95dB-sensitivity 3-way (albeit with two woofers).
You can't get 20-20k from a 3-way.
It will make some noises but you need at least two dedicated "ways" to properly (re)produce high fidelity bass and sub-bass. Horses for courses and all that.
Well, the measurements at Data-Bass indicate a remarkable performance that can compete with many subwoofers.

For measurements above the bass region, one can safely refer to AV NIRVANA's measurements of the 212RT; as design is basically identical.

DIY could get you a similar performance for less money, though, and yes: one is choosing amongst compromises with every loudspeaker design. :)

Last edited:

riker1384

The PSB Stratus Gold and Gold-i don't get there, but they get pretty close. I believe they're flat down to around 35Hz and they have a port tuning frequency of 24 Hz, so usable bass into the low 20's.

tuga

Major Contributor
Well, the measurements at Data-Bass indicate a remarkable performance that can compete with many subwoofers.

For measurements above the bass region, one can safely refer to AV NIRVANA's measurements of the 212RT; as design is basically identical.

DIY could get you a similar performance for less money, though, and yes: one is choosing amongst compromises with every loudspeaker design.

I see no IMD measurements at Data-Bass and the HD tests were made at 115dB and ploted with a 100dB vertical scale so pretty much useless.
I've seen the AV Nirvana test before, it only shows FR plots, not particularly informative except for tonal balance and directivity.
And just because a speaker is able to produce a nice-looking graph in the frequency domain doesn't mean it won't have any issues.

I agree in regard to compromise at affordable prices.
There are trade-offs when you choose to go for a high SPL and high sensitivity design. One of them is size, the other is limited ULF extension.
At least port seems to be tuned to 17Hz which is below audibility.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The cheapest passive I know of that claims full range is the Tekton Design Double Impact. The cheapest I know of that has actual, proven full range(109dB at 16Hz with low imd) is the JTR Noesis 215RT.

The Tekton is $3000/pair, and the JTR is $7200 pair. Actual full range performance is going to be expensive. Most cost no object speakers aren't even totally full range. For example the Revel Salon2($22,000/pair) is only 23-20,000Hz. Also, Tekton doesn't list a minus dB point for that 20Hz claim, so no idea if that's the -3, -6, -10, or worse.

Last edited:

detlev24

@tuga: Regarding the woofer section, Data-Bass also shows a table of 'CEA2010' pass marks. This gives a good idea about distortion magnitude and (sub) bass performance.

We certainly cannot compare such a loudspeaker to 'JBL M2' or other state-of-the-art full-range designs. Anyways, it would not be the scope of this thread; neither is the OP's request.

I would not be too concerned about the 215RT's coaxial compression driver's distortion at "normal" listening levels. It most probably is lower than the MF/HF distortion, most loudspeakers in a similar price range would show.

Top Bottom