• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheapest DAC with USB input (and maybe volume control VIA a remote) worth buying?

SuperDerpBro

I've just been using an Apple USB C dongle DAC for my music streaming PC. From that into powered speakers. I don't need to, but I'd like to upgrade.

I found an FX Audio DAC-SQ3 for CAD $120 shipped. Even that is honestly more than I can justify spending, heh. I'm also not even sure that would be an upgrade or not. I don't know enough about DACs. Everyone says the lil Apple DAC is quite good. Other than that I see a Topping e30 II. but I'm not sure I want to spend that much (over $200 CAD shipped).

Anything else I should be looking at?

As far as volume goes.. I've been using Volumio with its hardware setting to control the volume. I'd like to switch to Daphile (unless there is something better I don't know about?). Would it be better to set bit perfect in Daphile and control volume with a DAC? Or use the Daphile software to control it? Getting up and adjusting the speakers is out of the question, heh.

Cheers
1f642.png

OP
SuperDerpBro

SuperDerpBro

Heh.. Reading some of the similar threads below... guess I'll just keep doin what I'm doin.....

Still curious about the Daphile volume thing.

gvl

Major Contributor
Daphile volume control is fine, so is the DAC built-in. A physical remote is somewhat easier to use than the slider on the screen, that’s the main difference.

Top Bottom