• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheapest DAC to combo with the Topping L50?

rieku123

Hi people,

I am kind of new to the game so please bear with me. I've heard that there isn't really much of a sound upgrade when comparing cheaper DAC's to more expensive ones and that you are paying for features at the higher end. I don't really need any features other than transparent sound quality, so what is the cheapest DAC I can pair with my Topping L50? I think the L50 is a bit too powerful for the apple dongle (lol) so I am a bit stumped. I have a budget of around £60, but I am willing to go higher if the price justifies it. I will be using the Hifiman Edition XS, and might try them out balanced.

Thank you for any help, it is appreciated.

Rieku

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am kind of new to the game so please bear with me. I've heard that there isn't really much of a sound upgrade when comparing cheaper DAC's to more expensive ones and that you are paying for features at the higher end. I don't really need any features other than transparent sound quality, so what is the cheapest DAC I can pair with my Topping L50? I think the L50 is a bit too powerful for the apple dongle (lol) so I am a bit stumped.
What do you mean with this? I do recommend the Apple Dongle and see no problem why it should not perfectly feed the L50.

OP
R

rieku123

What do you mean with this? I do recommend the Apple Dongle and see no problem why it should not perfectly feed the L50.
I remember reading that there was a limit to how much power it could handle on some forum somewhere and I kinda took it as fact... that's amazing, I really am considering it. But of course, I do have money to spare so I would be happily open to other recommendations. Thank you for your reply!

raif71

Major Contributor
I have paired the L50 with D10b. Please take a look at this ...

Last edited:
OP
R

rieku123

I was just thinking, would there be problems if I decide to run my Edition XS balanced using the apple dongle as my DAC? If not, why do balanced DAC's even exist?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was just thinking, would there be problems if I decide to run my Edition XS balanced using the apple dongle as my DAC? If not, why do balanced DAC's even exist?
DACs with balanced outputs exist for better suppression of external electronic disturbances. Usually used in recording studios due to the long cable lengths. At home one seldom need it except when the cable network including the feeding PC is problematic.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Check the review of the Apple Dongle whether it is able to feed an 18 Ohm load.

staticV3

Master Contributor
But the apple dongle wouldn't be feeding an 18Ω load, it would feed an L50.

OP
R

rieku123

But the apple dongle wouldn't be feeding an 18Ω load, it would feed an L50.
That makes sense, It goes PC -> DAC -> AMP -> Headphones, right? Still a noob so bear with me lol.

So shall I just go with the dongle, or do you have any other recommendations? I have a D10 Balanced on the way but it did put me way over budget for what I would have liked to spend (had a £60 budget, it cost me £110), but I could always cancel/return it.

staticV3

Master Contributor
the D10B will be 3.6x as loud as the Apple A2155 headphone adapter all else being equal. It just has a higher output voltage (4.24Vrms vs 0.5Vrms)

Top Bottom