• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap vs expensive USB dacs?

lewis

I'm new to the world of computer music systems. Sorry if this is a daft question. There are now USB dacs that cost around 100 dollars that measure very well. If I use one into a very good amplifier the results should be very good sound quality so purely from a subjective point of view why would anyone pay more?
Am I missing something? Are the expensive ones better sounding?

Thanks, Lewis.

Svperstar

Some people like the sound of different things plus also expensive gear allows people to have bragging rights and something to talk about.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
One feature you get when you pay more is balanced output. Where possible I like to have that as an option to guard against ground loops. I also like my display so I know whether the sample rate I am playing, is what is being used by the DAC. I also like headphone out on my desktop DAC. And remote control when using in main system.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
If I use one into a very good amplifier the results should be very good sound quality so purely from a subjective point of view why would anyone pay more?

I think that pretty much sums up the idea that sparked this intire forum in the first place (?) :D

Are the expensive ones better sounding?

If it measures (very) badly, it will probably have a tiny bit of audible distortion and/or problems with the frequency responce and will sound... different. Some designers will claim that this translates into "better sounding", but I have a feeling that the same result can be achieved with a cheap good measuring DAC + some dirt cheap destructive filtering.

OP
lewis

lewis

One feature you get when you pay more is balanced output. Where possible I like to have that as an option to guard against ground loops. I also like my display so I know whether the sample rate I am playing, is what is being used by the DAC. I also like headphone out on my desktop DAC. And remote control when using in main system.

Thanks for your answer. If you compare the sound quality from the Topping dac that measures very well to a high end dac can you hear any difference?
I don't get the chance to do a blind testing so need to ask for help. It's only the sound quality that matters to me. Thanks.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What would be the cheapest yet measuring well USB DAC at the moment?
I don't need anything else than RCA out. No display, no volume knob necessary.

I already have a Topping D10 but I'm thinking about getting a DAC for another system. I would buy another D10 but perhaps now there's something even cheaper (I don't need optical & coaxial out).

This one would be for a Windows 10 computer.

Fernando

Forum Donor
Better than the D10 and cheaper ... can rob someone one kadhas.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Expensive USB DAC's are guaranteed to drain your bank account.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What would be the cheapest yet measuring well USB DAC at the moment?
I don't need anything else than RCA out. No display, no volume knob necessary.

I already have a Topping D10 but I'm thinking about getting a DAC for another system. I would buy another D10 but perhaps now there's something even cheaper (I don't need optical & coaxial out).

This one would be for a Windows 10 computer.
Nothing really, the D10 seems like the value champ. The SMSL Sanskrit 10th measured well after Amir used an external power supply instead of usb power, that's usually under $100, but you need to buy an extra component to get it to good measurements.

kurcatovium

I don't think you can get lower than D10 with similar performance as D10 is pretty much revelation by itself at that price.

Fernando

Forum Donor
The Khadas has the infamous ESS Hump, which makes all your music as if it was recorded underwater and played on the moon.
Very funny!
Discuss your answer please. : )

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very funny!
Discuss your answer please. : )

I'm still waiting for someone to make an ABX with one device and the same device with a simulated "hump", and see what are the results.

Top Bottom