• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

cheap vfm active speakers?

porotikos

Hi there guys. i love this forum and the opinions shaped, that are based on measurements. hi fi is a subjective area. since i found this forum i learned about great vfm dacs, headphone amps etc.
So i thought id ask about speakers. perhaps i can find the equivalent of a khadas tone board.

so, let me explain what i might be looking for.
i need a pair of active speakers. cheap ones. i dont want to spend more than 200,250 for both. i know this is not much at all.
but , i want to use them to listen to music in my country house in the summer. and at winte i may be using them (not often) as drum monitors when i practice at home with my electronic drums.not all the time, i have headphones for that. but as an alternative when i am tired of headphones.

id like for them to have xlr and rca ins. and id like them to be small. something like 20cmx15x15 to give you an estimate. (girl complains...).
because of the small dimensions, woofer will be not more than 5 inches obviously.. so we are talking about 3,4,5 inches. i would prefer the woofer to be 5 but...
i have googled and there are many models in such dimensions. but which is crap and which is less crap?

i understand that compromises have to be made. i do not expect them to sound anywhere near my floorstanders which are jaw dropping.
but id like to get decent speakers. that wont make me throw them in the bin when i listen to music. i dont expect much, i dont expect the bass to rock me, i dont expect to listen really loud. a decent job to pass the summer.
are there any real hidden gems that i should look for? something that is real value for money?

perhaps there isnt, but if there is a small chance there is, i am sure you guys will know it. cheers

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
LSR305Ps should be a bit closer to desired budget and dimensions, but otherwise, yeah, a solid choice.
Right now Thomann has the trusty Behringer B2031As for the same price, another very good option but a good bit larger (an 8" job, works well at medium distances of 1.5-2 m). Probably out then, I guess.

Make sure you have the appropriate cabling that doesn't give you the typical ground loop issues right away; do not expect to be using the unbalanced inputs without any issues on something like a PC. The usual stuff.

OP
P

porotikos

LSR305Ps should be a bit closer to desired budget and dimensions, but otherwise, yeah, a solid choice.
Right now Thomann has the trusty Behringer B2031As for the same price, another very good option but a good bit larger (an 8" job, works well at medium distances of 1.5-2 m). Probably out then, I guess.

Make sure you have the appropriate cabling that doesn't give you the typical ground loop issues right away; do not expect to be using the unbalanced inputs without any issues on something like a PC. The usual stuff.
thank you both my friends. yes 8 inch is too big unfortunately... i wouldnt connect them to pc. and fortunately i know how to deal with ground loops. i think this wont be a problem.

bottomline, i am seriously thinking about the LSR305Ps. any other contesters, id love to hear about them. thank you all, again. and cheers for a fantastic forum

Webninja

Forum Donor
I will second the 305s, run off my DX7s, makes for a very inexpensive setup that for a desktop is louder than I would need. Would work well for a small room and could add a sub later down the road.

Top Bottom