• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap Streamer for Hi-Res music from Qobuz

OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor
I think the OP was responding to my post which could have been misinterpreted as meaning the whole unit was based on a Raspberry Pi, or equivalent.
Absolutely correct! By the way do you know a raspberry pi unit with aes ebu or any digital out? Thanks

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi @Sprint

If you add the miniDSP , how do you plan to use the Apple TV 4K with the Genelecs and 2 subs?

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Which cheaper unit are you referring to if I may ask?

To be clear, I meant for my own use case. I would connect a Chromecast Audio to one of the following:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/product-line-summary

https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/ddrc-24

Isn‘t the 2x4 HD the same as the DDRC-24, without the Dirac sofware?

They don‘t measure as well as the SHD, but some members would say the difference is inaudible.

Your use case is more complex than mine - not sure if I understand it fully, if I’m honest. So, I’m not suggesting you follow my advice. Just giving my opinion on streaming options.

You could connect a CCA to the SHD if you don’t like Volumio.

BTW, I’m assuming the optical output of the CCA will work ok with the optical input of these units. I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

Also, my opinions on Volumio are based on my own use case. Some people like it. You should check out their forum, or better still get a cheap Raspberry Pi and try it out.

Last edited:
OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor
OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor
Hi @Sprint

If you add the miniDSP , how do you plan to use the Apple TV 4K with the Genelecs and 2 subs?

For movies
I plan to add miniDSP 2X4HD or DDRC24 to do subwoofer correction for movies. In this case it will be Apple 4K TV -> Yamaha AVR 775 -> subwoofer out 1 cable -> Minidsp 2X4HD or DDRC24 -> 2 SVS subwoofers and at the same time Apple 4KTV -> Yamaha AVR 775 -> 5 channel preouts -> Genelec LCR 3 * 8340 monitors and Genelec surrounds 2 * 8330 monitors.

For 2 channel music (short term solution) . Here I do not plan to use Apple 4KTV but rather Qobuz or Amazon HD
I plan to first add Raspberry PI -> digital outs -> cable splitter -> 2 channel goes to Genelec LR speakers and 1 channel goes to minidsp via AES SPDI F cable -> 2 SVS subwoofers.

Long term, same as above but use CCA -> Minidsp SHD > 2 Genelec + 2 SVS subs

OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor
OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor
To be clear, I meant for my own use case. I would connect a Chromecast Audio to one of the following:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/product-line-summary

https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/ddrc-24

Isn‘t the 2x4 HD the same as the DDRC-24, without the Dirac sofware?

They don‘t measure as well as the SHD, but some members would say the difference is inaudible.

Your use case is more complex than mine - not sure if I understand it fully, if I’m honest. So, I’m not suggesting you follow my advice. Just giving my opinion on streaming options.

You could connect a CCA to the SHD if you don’t like Volumio.

BTW, I’m assuming the optical output of the CCA will work ok with the optical input of these units. I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

Also, my opinions on Volumio are based on my own use case. Some people like it. You should check out their forum, or better still get a cheap Raspberry Pi and try it out.

I am planning to go with DDRC-24 as I am too lazy to tinker with all the filters and frequency correction. I will first do DIRAC but will learn over time to do manual via REW.

So, here is the plan.

For movies
I plan to add miniDSP 2X4HD or DDRC24 to do subwoofer correction for movies. In this case it will be Apple 4K TV -> Yamaha AVR 775 -> subwoofer out 1 cable -> Minidsp 2X4HD or DDRC24 -> 2 SVS subwoofers and at the same time Apple 4KTV -> Yamaha AVR 775 -> 5 channel preouts -> Genelec LCR 3 * 8340 monitors and Genelec surrounds 2 * 8330 monitors.

For 2 channel music (short term solution) . Here I do not plan to use Apple 4KTV but rather Qobuz or Amazon HD
I plan to first add Raspberry PI -> digital outs -> cable splitter -> 2 channel goes to Genelec LR speakers and 1 channel goes to minidsp via AES SPDI F cable -> 2 SVS subwoofers. Other option CCA -> Raspberry PI -> then the chain is same as above.

Music1969

Major Contributor
For movies

I plan to first add Raspberry PI -> digital outs -> cable splitter -> 2 channel goes to Genelec LR speakers and 1 channel goes to minidsp via AES SPDI F cable -> 2 SVS subwoofers.

Wowza, this is complicated. I'll need to have a drink and try to re-read and understand this.

I've curious because I would also love to use multiple Genelec SAM monitors in multichannel setup.

Music1969

Major Contributor
For movies

Ok I think I get it.

So you will only use a miniDSP box for digital room correction of the 2 subs?

And with the Genelecs you will use GLM digital room correction?

So this means you will run the Yamaha AVR in some kind of 'pure direct' mode with Dolby Digital movie content?

Top Bottom