• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap Streamer for Hi-Res music from Qobuz

Sprint

Forum Donor
Hi all,

Need recommendation for a cheap streamer. Currently I have Genelec SAM active monitors for LCR and 2 SVS 12-nsd subs run by AVR Yamaha RX-V775. Apart from Netflix, Disney + movies streaming from Apple 4K TV, I listen to Apple Music for 2ch music. Now I want to venture into Hi-Res audio via Qobuz. I was thinking about Tidal but over the net the recommendation is for Qobuz. For movies, since Yamaha YPAO does not do good sub correction, I plan to add minds 2x4HD for sub management to correct the SVS subs for movies. For Genelecs, I will continue to use GLM room correction.

I can install the Qobuz app on my iPhone, iPad or Mac and stream via Airplay but I will get only CD quality 16bit/44.1 KHZ.

I want recommendation for a short term cheap and a long term end of game solution.

Long term: I heard that Yamaha DAC in AVR is not good enough. On the long run, I plan to add minidsp SHD which has measured well. The digital out from minidsp will get into my Genelec monitors. I may get Arendal subs which can receive two XLR inputs (one set up from minidsp 2x4HD for movies and another from mindspSHD for music). Ofcourse I need to do add another DAC from SHD to Arendal subs. will minidsp SHD a good streamer as well? I do not think it supports Roon which I was thinking to consider as well. Is there any other option?

short term: use a cheap streamer like Chromecast and plug it into AVR HDMI input. Control Qobuz from iPad/Mac via Chromecast and get Hi-Res music into AVR -> Genelecs -> SVS. Adding an external DAC with streamer may force me to introduce a XLR or RCA switch to genelecs/svs which may degrade the sound quality, I guess. Plus I loose the basic sub management of Yamaha AVR YPAO.

Are there any other options considering my above case?

Many Thanks!

OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor
Can anyone please help!

Willem

Major Contributor
The digital output of a Chromecast Audio into your optical inputs will work fine up to 24/96. Collaboration with the Apple ecosystem is not perfect, but I don't remember the details. Whether 24/96 will sound any better than 16/44 is debatable, but that is a different issue. I use a CCA to stream to an RME ADI-2 DAC and the sound quality is (bit)perfect.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
If you are thinking of using the miniDSP SHD as a streamer, you should be aware that the streaming function is performed by Volumio. I can tell you from experience that Volumio doesn’t work very well with Tidal. I wouldn’t expect it to work any better with Qobuz.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are thinking of using the miniDSP SHD as a streamer, you should be aware that the streaming function is performed by Volumio. I can tell you from experience that Volumio doesn’t work very well with Tidal. I wouldn’t expect it to work any better with Qobuz.

It actually works way better with Qobuz. But they will get Tidal Connect going in Q2 2021.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would make Roon my end goal if you really want true effortless Hi-Res streaming. Personally I'm perfectly fine with Spotify premium, give it a try, Hi-Res is a hoax imo.

your AVR will be mainly limited by the amplifier part, so unless the DAC is malfunctioning i would not bypass it.

Chromcast or a Raspberry pi (with a HAT) would be the best solution.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
It actually works way better with Qobuz. But they will get Tidal Connect going in Q2 2021.

Yes, I read that about Tidal Connect. That would be a major improvement.

Tidal problems aside. I don‘t think I would buy such an expensive device and then have to rely on Volumio for streaming services. Also, miniDSP only provide limited support for Volumio, as it’s third party software. You can always ignore Volumio and just just feed it an optical signal from a CCA.

OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor
Thanks everyone! I just conclude then Raspberry PI (HAT) or Chromecast will be the best for short term. And go for Minidsp SHD with Volumio/Qobuz as long term. Any good recommendation for a good Raspberry package (with both analog balanced and digital out)?

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Thanks everyone! I just conclude then Raspberry PI (HAT) or Chromecast will be the best for short term. And go for Minidsp SHD with Volumio/Qobuz as long term. Any good recommendation for a good Raspberry package (with both analog balanced and digital out)?

Good decision. As the miniDSP SHD streaming function runs on the Raspberry Pi with Volumio, you can decide if it meets your streaming requirements before spending a lot more money.

It would be interesting to get your feedback.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Just FYI, the DAC in your Yamaha would have to be pretty bad to notice a meaningful increase in sound quality to the MiniDSP- But I dont know how well it drives your subs. And I wouldnt expect a huge difference between Qobuz and Apple Music either. But I would be interested in your thoughts on how any single change in your chain changes the experience.

OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor
Good decision. As the miniDSP SHD streaming function runs on the Raspberry Pi with Volumio, you can decide if it meets your streaming requirements before spending a lot more money.

It would be interesting to get your feedback.

I did not know that the miniDSP SHD runs on Raspberry PI with volumio. Why is it then so expensive? Because for a good 150 bugs, you can build the raspberry PI correct? Is it just because of the box, digital outs?

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
I did not know that the miniDSP SHD runs on Raspberry PI with volumio. Why is it then so expensive? Because for a good 150 bugs, you can build the raspberry PI correct? Is it just because of the box, digital outs?

Actually, I’m not sure if it’s a Raspberry Pi or something equivalent. Also, that’s just for streaming and is only a small part of the overall unit. As tehidiot says the major cost is the DSP functionality.

Personally, I would buy one of their cheaper units and feed in a Chromecast Audio.

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
That's like complaining about the price of the Okto DAC because it has an optional Pi in it, ignoring it being one of the best DACs around. The SHD has a 2 channel ADC and high performing 4 channel DAC with balanced inputs and outputs, plus DSP and a Dirac license. The streamer part is a small part of the total package. Indications are that it isn't a Raspberry Pi, but one of the other broadly similar single board computers, and that there's been at least one change of SBC since the SHD was introduced. This is based on comments in the new review thread about some having a board with SD card while others don't.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
That's like complaining about the price of the Okto DAC because it has an optional Pi in it, ignoring it being one of the best DACs around. The SHD has a 2 channel ADC and high performing 4 channel DAC with balanced inputs and outputs, plus DSP and a Dirac license. The streamer part is a small part of the total package. Indications are that it isn't a Raspberry Pi, but one of the other broadly similar single board computers, and that there's been at least one change of SBC since the SHD was introduced. This is based on comments in the new review thread about some having a board with SD card while others don't.

I think the OP was responding to my post which could have been misinterpreted as meaning the whole unit was based on a Raspberry Pi, or equivalent.

OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor
Just FYI, the DAC in your Yamaha would have to be pretty bad to notice a meaningful increase in sound quality to the MiniDSP- But I dont know how well it drives your subs. And I wouldnt expect a huge difference between Qobuz and Apple Music either. But I would be interested in your thoughts on how any single change in your chain changes the experience.

My Yamaha AVR-V775 uses burr-brown dac’s. How does the burrbrown perform when compared to the one in minidsp shd? Does anyone know what dac has been used in minidsp shd? I compared apple music vs amazon hd. Amazon in my opinion had more clarity compared to apple music. So i am guessing qobuz should be better than apple music.

OP
Sprint

Sprint

Forum Donor
Actually, I’m not sure if it’s a Raspberry Pi or something equivalent. Also, that’s just for streaming and is only a small part of the overall unit. As tehidiot says the major cost is the DSP functionality.

Personally, I would buy one of their cheaper units and feed in a Chromecast Audio.
Which cheaper unit are you referring to if I may ask?

Top Bottom