• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap speakers equalization

Jezzi

So time ago I decided to look for cheap speakers that I can put on my desk. I found used Akai SR-S38 that where in decend shape. I brought them home for 90 PLN (20$) and put them on a desk.
_DSC5314.jpg
Quickly decided to get them off and repaint, (poop brown is not really in my taste).
_DSC5430.jpg

What can I tell about how do they sound, well without eq, they were really good as a furniture in my room. When I was thinking of buying them I knew that I have to measure and do some eq’ing.
95479092_339142217059233_3995804175085600768_n.jpg
The speakers come with sticker that show FR measured propably in an-echoic chamber (of course I knew that this thing is pretty useless as reference to do correct equalization). I did some measurements and started equalizing.
noeq.jpg
After few hours of analyzing graphs and putting them in APO I came with effect that is surprisingly good. Considering the price of speakers and how they sound "out of the box"
aftereq.jpg
I think I did pretty good job. Still there is possibility that I can improve something, the only limitation now is my knowledge. Can you give me some suggestions what can I change/do better? Whats yours experience with similarly cheap systems?

Last edited:
OP
Jezzi

Jezzi

Wonder that kind of magic Akai had to conjure up to get that cone tweeter flat out to 20 kHz - LOL.

How does to they sound now? That's all that matters.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

They sound quite naturally, of course you can hear this lack of low bass, but its negligible considering that rest of FR is pretty flat. I don’t even know is it even possible to hear 20Hz bass in small room.
a propos 20Khz it looks like they did some smoothing trick or something, I'm pretty sure they tried to hide some obvious imperfections.

danjans

I have the same Akai speakers but I can't use them at the moment because I need to purchase repair parts for them. I found a few of the parts I'm looking for on FixPart but not everything. Would anyone know where I could find repair parts to see if I can find the ones I'm missing? I live in Hungary but I travel a lot for work to the US and other EU country so I could order from those countries as well.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Top Bottom