• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap Setup

Runion17

I am looking to buy a cheap portable setup for headphone/iem listening. Of course, I have SHP9500s and QKZvk4s, in addition to a few other budget items. However, I want an android-free setup for less than the price of any decent DAP. I will probably get a $30-$40 headphone amp from Amazon, and need something to provide the signal. Do I need a line-level signal, or will a headphone-out be good enough? Does ASR know of any basic mp3 players (yes, of course I'll be using flac, not lossy) that can provide a decent aux signal for very cheap, or have recommendations for the amp? Alternatively, if any device exists with a digital out for under $25, I could just get a cheap portable DAC and make an under $100 stack. I don't use hi-res or weird formats, 16/44.1 is more than enough, and I don't need to drive anything to 10,000 dbSPL, or use kiloOhm headphones the size of garbage can lids, or anything like that. I don't know too much about audio, but for my needs the end result should probably just need to be ~85db SINAD with a reasonably flat (20-16k Hz +- 5db) response, unless any of you think that will sound sub-par. I may connect the source to my cheap-fi speaker amp too. Thanks!

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Shanking M3s which is nicely made and a dedicated DAP. However my personal opinion is that a smartphone is as good as anything. I still use the Shanking when I want to be off grid so to speak, but you can do the same with a smartphone and have lots more functionality by not having an active number in it.

OP
R

Runion17

I have a Shanking M3s which is nicely made and a dedicated DAP. However my personal opinion is that a smartphone is as good as anything. I still use the Shanking when I want to be off grid so to speak, but you can do the same with a smartphone and have lots more functionality by not having an active number in it.
I know a smartphone would be easiest, but my school doesn't allow them! Any other ideas?

Top Bottom