• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap Roon server(used P.C.)

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Got this set up and working today. Refurb Lenovo Thinkcentre I decided I wanted to get the Roon core off my main PC. I have a smallish collection of around 15,000 tracks. This is working great so far. I can detect no GUI lag. I swapped my DB over and swapped the music hard drive into it. The only issue is, while there is space to have both the included Kingston SSD and a 3.5” magnetic drive in there, the mounting cradle isn’t made for it. I guess if the PC wasn’t ordered with two drives you get a different cradle. I hung the SSD from a single screw. Could have just laid it in there. Inside was squeaky clean so at least they aren’t just putting lease returns in a box.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like a good deal. You might want to keep an eye on your hard disk temperatures if there are more devices installed than intended, especially with the i5-i take it it has a good air flow. Are you intending to run this 24/7-not sure what the cost of electricity is where you are but you might find that the power bills exceed the price of the pc fairly quickly. I run my dlna server from a pc engines apu c4 which I’ve found excellent.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, not bad. I use a 70€ (used but perfect condition) HP fanless minilaptop to do quite the same. (JRiver, Topping D10, external SSD)

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Good deal!
The used PC market is an interesting one for music/media playback, almost too many to chose from on amazon.
I'm looking at used rack mount PCs/servers - the deals are impressive enough to make you wonder about ever buying a new PC again.
A few years back I ran a project where we had to 're-cycle' thousands of older PCs as part of a NOS upgrade.
IRCC, we got something like $10 per PC for them and we did the disk wiping. At the time, the vendor (happened to be ibm) told me that the best market for them was south america, so all those pallets of PCs went to a facility somewhere where they were cleaned and tested and repackaged, put on new pallets and shipped out again. Struck me as a very weird business, but likely lucrative.
But stuff coming out of data centers, which upgrade their tech more regularly, can be real deals!

Top Bottom