• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap Room Eq to a chromecast audio stereo

Tenfilip

Hi,

I got Chromecast Audio -> Crown XLS 2500 -> Tannoy XT 6f in my living room. Mostly used for background music, when playing with kids or for dinner, sometimes for a bit more critical listening (but honestly, not that frequently as one could hope - maybe once every week or two). Bass is a bit unequal, and when i had denon with Audyssey here (instead of Crown), it helped a lot.

What can I add into the audio chain so that on relatively low cost I could fix bass ? The room has big windows, a lot of flat surface, no shelves, is maybe 50^2 m in total.
I'm ok with adding a DAC with jitter correction (maybe minidsp)?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Roon; miniDSP, RME DAC

OP
Tenfilip

Tenfilip

Roon; miniDSP, RME DAC
As far as I can see, RME DAC is 1000 CHF+, Roon is a service which also is expensive, and minidsp is more affordable, but which one? the HD one? Does it provide jitter correction?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does it provide jitter correction?
No. I also think it is highly unlikely that you need jitter correction. see below

and listening tests:

Other computer audio players can do DSP - I think JRiver, Audirvana and HQPlayer, but I'm not positive.

OP
Tenfilip

Tenfilip

No. I also think it is highly unlikely that you need jitter correction. see below

Please kindly see https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-chromecast-audio-digital-output.4544/ for Amir comment on jitter on chromecast audio being an actual issue to mind for.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Please kindly see https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-chromecast-audio-digital-output.4544/ for Amir comment on jitter on chromecast audio being an actual issue to mind for.
Fair enough, although even with that Schitt DAC it is, eyeballing, quieter than sample C (3.5ns) in Archimago's listening tests:

For me, I cannot hear a difference with the 875ps or 3.5ns cumulative distortion tracks even though those first couple steps already incorporate more sideband distortions than the vast majority of devices I've come across! Sitting at my computer, with Audio Technica ATH-M50 closed headphones or 1MORE Quad Driver IEMs using my ASUS Xonar Essence One DAC, the lowest level where I could reliably hear the anomaly with the 20-20kHz synthetic sweep test is the 175ns sample. (Haven't tried with my Sennheiser HD800 yet, but will at some point.)
I think if you just get a decently-rated DAC (and don't listen via browser) you'll be fine on that score. Obviously Roon's chromecast implementation (and I think Tidal and Spotify's as well) helps. But if you are buying a DAC, then getting one with PEQ or Dirac will solve your other problem.

OP
Tenfilip

Tenfilip

Fair enough, although even with that Schitt DAC it is, eyeballing, quieter than sample C (3.5ns) in Archimago's listening tests:

I think if you just get a decently-rated DAC (and don't listen via browser) you'll be fine on that score. Obviously Roon's chromecast implementation (and I think Tidal and Spotify's as well) helps. But if you are buying a DAC, then getting one with PEQ or Dirac will solve your other problem.
Well, I would say I use google youtube music service (via google assistant) to listen to background music, and when I have more time, I use Tidal via Android app. Perhaps the jitter is not a material issue in my case.
Apart from Minidsp HD (which I appreciate for flexibility), is there anything else worth considering? I rather would steer away from Dirac due to the cost.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Nothing wrong with a simple graphic equalizer.
Nice ones can be had for < $50 at any pawn shop.

1561370754_1488656.jpg

New units not much more than $100

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
miniDSP Flex with the Dirac module and a mic to set it up. AFAIK - There is no easier way to accomplish your goal. Might be cheaper ways - but I doubt they'd be easier to implement.

OP
Tenfilip

Tenfilip

Nothing wrong with a simple graphic equalizer.
Nice ones can be had for < $50 at any pawn shop.

View attachment 277547
New units not much more than $100
Well, this is a good idea, thanks! I would just need to find one with enough bands in bass domai
miniDSP Flex with the Dirac module and a mic to set it up. AFAIK - There is no easier way to accomplish your goal. Might be cheaper ways - but I doubt they'd be easier to implement.
Thanks for pointing it out to me. 800 already lands me a Denon x3500h or similar - which I have in another room and which does the trick (and many others) - and is easier to setup (I mean, you get a mic with it, there is on screen proces, dont need PC, and you can even get an app for it). There are also complete 2ch amps (with milion other things) from Denon (and similar) for similar cash. So why I would love to get it (I like tech;)) I cant justify it here (got other setup at home where I do care much more for music and there I would consider). BTW The dirac upgrade (so de facto a liceance key) is out of stock currently:)
BTW2 if would be with 800 USD budget, I could add a bit and get something like a subwoofer with built in room correction and just high pass the front speakers (Crown has Low&High pass filter) - e.g. https://www.crutchfield.com/S-VJZNwpA6IBr/p_9702020BK/ELAC-Muro-SUB2020-Black.html

Why you recommend Flex, not the cheaper HD version (or even the analog one without the DAC)?

Last edited:

Wolf11Man

If you have 800 US$ to spent, instead of buying some software concider a used top class AVR. You have all the stuff inside one box, working neatly together. Even in simple stereo something like the top Audessey versions have a great impact. Most AVR have imense power in two chanel or even bi-amped.
The advantage of a used AVR, beside from saving a few (thousand) $, you can study any review and sort out versions with factory bugs that only surface after 3-4 years. Like the Onkyo DSP chip problem. The manufacturer was able to keep that alive for nearly a decade, until the last Onkyo fan ran away from the brand. This allone makes me buy used instead of new. The software solutons seem overpriced, quite old and are quite complicated to integrate into your chain.

OP
Tenfilip

Tenfilip

If you have 800 US$ to spent, instead of buying some software concider a used top class AVR. You have all the stuff inside one box, working neatly together. Even in simple stereo something like the top Audessey versions have a great impact. Most AVR have imense power in two chanel or even bi-amped.
The advantage of a used AVR, beside from saving a few (thousand) $, you can study any review and sort out versions with factory bugs that only surface after 3-4 years. Like the Onkyo DSP chip problem. The manufacturer was able to keep that alive for nearly a decade, until the last Onkyo fan ran away from the brand. This allone makes me buy used instead of new. The software solutions seem overpriced, quite old and are quite complicated to integrate into your chain.
Sure, that's what I just wrote above you ;) I get your point, but overall - this will be just boring. Plus, I was looking for something with less space requirements (you know, leaving room, people live there including women etc etc).

Christoph-ASR

Top Bottom