• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap RCA interconnects causing interference

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The noise comes directly from the dac itself. Read my replies

I do not have an optical port on the motherboard. I had no idea usb to Toslink adapters were a thing, this sounds optimal if the iSilencer+ does not work
You said previously, if you unplug the usb from computer to DAC, there is no noise on the DAC. Therefore, the DAC is not the problem, it's the usb connection from the computer to DAC causing this ground-loop noise issue. The DAC is not the problem.
As suggested before, either go with balanced cables or Simply get the usb to toslink converter.

OP
S

square.

You said previously, if you unplug the usb from computer to DAC, there is no noise on the DAC. Therefore, the DAC is not the problem, it's the usb connection from the computer to DAC causing this ground-loop noise issue. The DAC is not the problem.
As suggested before, either go with balanced cables or Simply get the usb to toslink converter.
We've had a mild misunderstanding.

Balanced cables would stop the sound going to the speakers, but would not stop the device from producing noise from its internals, which can be heard when I put my ears close to the device(which only occurs when plugged in via usb.)
The dac only has balanced outputs and no balanced inputs.

Usb to toslink converter sounds great but I thought these devices would be redundant since there is still a digital signal in the chain before the optical signal.
Please comment on the above.

thanks,
Square

OP
S

square.

Okay.... Nevermind?

the sound is there when the pc is off, usb plugged in or out.

What do I do?

Edit: Maybe email RME themselves and ask if this is normal? Im 19 so my ears can hear these frequencies whereas they probably can't.

In terms of speakers, just get XLR cables to prevent my pc monitor interfering with the signal to the speakers

I could also try one of my clip on ferrite cores, onto the power cable of the DAC?

Last edited:
OP
S

square.

Okay so the solution was to turn the brightness of the DAC to 100%. This fixed the whining from the internals (presumably a coil)

I will be cancelling my order of the iSilencer.
Apologies for the repeat posts

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Check your motherboard specs you may have a SPDIF connector on the motherboard that can be connected to a simple and cheap SPDIF to optical card like this:

PS - sorry I'd missed that you were talking about acoustic noise from the DAC rather than speakers. (You did start with "through my speakers")

OP
S

square.

Check your motherboard specs you may have a SPDIF connector on the motherboard that can be connected to a simple and cheap SPDIF to optical card like this:

PS - sorry I'd missed that you were talking about acoustic noise from the DAC rather than speakers.
I have no idea if I have a SPDIF connector on the mobo, I used this link https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550M-AORUS-ELITE-rev-1x#kf
and used Control-F to search for the word "SPDIF" and "optical" with no results.

PS - Don't worry about it!

Slayer

Okay so the solution was to turn the brightness of the DAC to 100%. This fixed the whining from the internals (presumably a coil)

Glad to see you have found the issue and it was an easy fix. Happy listening.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer

Glad you were able to get this resolved. For others on the forum who might encounter this issue:
  • When you say "DAC" do you mean your RME ADI-2 FS?
  • Where in the settings of the DAC were you able to adjust the "brightness"? What was it set to before you set it to 100%

OP
S

square.

Glad you were able to get this resolved. For others on the forum who might encounter this issue:
  • When you say "DAC" do you mean your RME ADI-2 FS?
  • Where in the settings of the DAC were you able to adjust the "brightness"? What was it set to before you set it to 100%
Yes, I mean the RME ADI-2 FS when I say DAC.

By default the brightness is 80%.
Setup button > Options (As opposed to the other menu 'Setups') > Display > (List of settings) Navigate to 'LCD brightness' and change to 100. Lowering to 40% significantly increases the whining, so the issue is related to the brightness of the display.

mansr

Major Contributor
Yes, I mean the RME ADI-2 FS when I say DAC.

By default the brightness is 80%.
Setup button > Options (As opposed to the other menu 'Setups') > Display > (List of settings) Navigate to 'LCD brightness' and change to 100. Lowering to 40% significantly increases the whining, so the issue is related to the brightness of the display.
The brightness is probably controlled by PWM. At 100%, it will be on continuously while at lower levels it will be switched with a frequency of 1 kHz or so. This can sometimes result in coil whine.

OP
S

square.

controlled by PWM
I believe they mention this in their threads on RME's forum site, but not certain. Sounds about right!

That would be annoying to have to look at either a bright lcd or listen to it whine....
For sure, thankfully it doesn't bother me as I always have the bedroom light on.

kongwee

Major Contributor
By your setup it is better to change to XLR from your RME interface to your Mackie. Both high are differential and shouldn't use single end RCA anyway. Canare XLR interconnect should not cost you an arm and leg that being used in pros. Filo F3 nothing I can suggest.

fieldcar

By your setup it is better to change to XLR from your RME interface to your Mackie. Both high are differential and shouldn't use single end RCA anyway. Canare XLR interconnect should not cost you an arm and leg that being used in pros. Filo F3 nothing I can suggest.
I agree. I cant believe how noisy and unusable my JBL 306Pmkii's are trying to run single ended from my focusrite scarlett 2i4. Balanced is a must for powered monitors IMO.

Top Bottom