• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap on-off switch for amplifier

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I want to make it easy to switch power to amplifiers that have a switch on the back. I will be plugging these into the Emotiva CMX-2 Dc blocker, but that doesn't have an on/pff switch so I still have the problem. These plugs with switches look really cheaply made, but are rated 15A. I can't find the same idea in a more solid looking build. Has anyone used these or similar? Or do you know of better ones?

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matter...+grounded+outlet+switch&qid=1591849068&sr=8-5

1591849098135.png

OP
P

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How about a Gosund plug hooked into either Alexa or your Google network.
Thanks for the idea. Those are neat little devices but I would rather just have a little rocker switch.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

All my outlets in the Lounge, HiFi room, Lab and Computer area, along with the two boys bedrooms are controlled via 433MHz remote switches.

That unit you pictured above looks to be a great option for you US folks.

OP
P

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you all for the ideas. I really wanted to keep it simple. This room gets a lot of use from everyone in the family so remote controllers seem to end up in the sofa cushions. I ended up ordering the switches in the original post. Two of these should fit on the CMX-2 so that I can switch the amps individually. Don't know if I need that but I imagine it could be useful. So I am happy with the solution as long as these are not really flimsy junk.

OP
P

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I feel a little bit stupid about going on about an ordinary power switch. But anyway I am following up just in case it might be useful to someone else.

The CableMatters switches came in a 3-pack so I sacrificed one to have a look inside. The ground and neutral prongs are just passthroughs, and the spring force on the blades are strong enough for good contact and so that stuff won't fall out when used on a wall outlet.
1592225118963.png

The switch is Soken RK1-17: https://www.sokenswitch.com/soken-rk1-17-1x1n-on-off-illuminated-rocker-switch.html
Cheap, about $0.25 in 1000, but the specifications seem in line with more expensive switches of similar type. 10000 cycles, 16A, 100m-ohms, silver alloy contacts. I suppose it is anyone's guess how well these specs can be trusted. Here is what the switch looks like inside:
1592225410502.png

Sorry about blurry but the rocker paddle contacts seem decent enough. Overall, I think the CableMatters device is OK to use for the amplifier switch. I would be surprised if the switches in power strips by Tripp-Lite and the others are much better.

Top Bottom