• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap high (4v+) Vrms DAC?

nrabbit

I'm looking at buying a low gain amp that takes 4+ vrms to get much power out of it. It seems like 4+ vrms is only provided by the higher range DACs. Is there anything in the sub 500 range that can push this voltage?

Theriverlethe

I'm looking at buying a low gain amp that takes 4+ vrms to get much power out of it. It seems like 4+ vrms is only provided by the higher range DACs. Is there anything in the sub 500 range that can push this voltage?

Hifiberry DAC+ Pro XLR provides 4VRMS output, if you want to build a Pi-based streamer. 2VRMS is the Redbook standard for single-ended line output, and a lot of devices don’t even manage that.

Veri

Master Contributor
Aune S16 was a good, affordable 5.6Vrms DAC. If you can find one used in good condition (or even new). Liked this one a lot, kinda regret selling it :)

Theriverlethe

What about the Emotiva DC-1?

For the price of a used DC-1, he might as well get a new Topping DX7. Schiit Modius looks like a good option at 1/3rd the price if he's looking for a pure balanced DAC, but OP didn't specify if he needs volume control.

OP
N

nrabbit

A cheap way is to use a headphone amp, such as the JDS Atom or the many equivalents, to act as a pre-amp to provide the additional voltage gain you need.

This is a great idea / probably the best option as I need volume control too.

Hifiberry DAC+ Pro XLR provides 4VRMS output, if you want to build a Pi-based streamer. 2VRMS is the Redbook standard for single-ended line output, and a lot of devices don’t even manage that.

I didn't realize there was a standard for single-ended line output. It makes a lot of sense now that there seems to be a correlation between having xlr outs and 4vrms.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Prosumer and pro level audio interfaces generally can provide significantly more output voltage swing (e.g., an Audient iD22 can do +18dBu at 0dBFS and an RME ADI-2 Pro can do +24dBu) than consumer DACs, so that's worth considering if you need it.

Top Bottom