• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap headphone amplifier to drive 600 ohm headphones.

tired_guru

OP
Shadrach

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have ordered a jds labs atom. I'll be interested to hear if, and by how much, it differs from my WAD 83.
I'm hoping I'll like any changes in presentation.
Given I'm in the audio tinkering mood, I may just chuck a few resistors together and see what my Exposure system amp does with my headphones while I'm at it.

mtnmankeith

higher the impedance the easier to drive. No matter it's 1000ohm or 10kohm. If the sensitivity is high enough it's easy to drive.
In terms of the variation of impedance in the frequency. Normally just choose low output impedance headphone amplifiers.
But with beyers it's a bit different. The a1 from beyer has an 100ohn output socket. The dt880 might be designer for 100ohm output amplifiers. But let your ears be the judge. You can get an 100ohm resistance adapter easily.
Where can you get a 100ohm Resistance adapter? I’ve looked and can’t seem to find one.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, i guess the current recommendation is the Schiit Heresy.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Where can you get a 100ohm Resistance adapter? I’ve looked and can’t seem to find one.
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32860270299.html

80 or 120 Ohm will do the job equally well. There is no practical difference to 100 Ohm.

Below DT880 (250 Ohm) from 120 Ohm and 0 Ohm
120-ohm.png

Don't expect to hear much changes.
When you want to address the treble peak there are better methods ;)

mtnmankeith

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32860270299.html

80 or 120 Ohm will do the job equally well. There is no practical difference to 100 Ohm.

Below DT880 (250 Ohm) from 120 Ohm and 0 Ohm
120-ohm.png

Don't expect to hear much changes.
When you want to address the treble peak there are better methods ;)
I have the dt990 600ohm paired with schiit heresy. I’ve read that going with an Amplier like the schiit Asgard 3 will open up the soundstage and drive the headphone better. I guess because it has a bigger built in power supply. Do you think the Asgard 3 is overkill on a headphone as cheap as the dt990 600ohm. Will I be able to tell a difference?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Asgard 3 can drive the DT990 1.8dB louder. That's all.
On Heresy you can reach 121 dB SPL peak and on the Asgard 3 122.8dB SPL.

Asgard 3 is substantially bigger in size, has a better volume control, has an onboard power supply, weighs more and can include a DAC board (which is nothing special) and has a bit more, but inaudible levels, of distortion.

When you would have both amps level matched you will not be able to tell any difference.
When you have them side by side and not level matched chances are you will have a preference.

Top Bottom