• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap, good, basic Blue Ray player

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now I’m not sure if I need 4K. I have 20 or so concert blue rays.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What about Panasonic DP-UB150/153, LG UBK90?

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ouch, expensive. I was hoping for under 100.00

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not with 4K…
So it seems. My basic need is to play Blue Ray Concert videos. As long as I can get decent audio and I can use my LG remote the 88.00 unit will be fine.

Thanks

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Cheap" is whatever's in stock at the thrift store: Lots of BluRay players in my area from the usual suspects: Sony, Samsung, LG, etc.

Only need a 4K player if you own or plan on getting 4K UHD disks. There's also a class of 2K BluRay players which can upscale to 4K resolution, but that's not necessary, since TVs generally incorporate their own upscalers.

Players typically incorporate Too Much Stuff, but you can ignore these features. Pretty sure these are "free" because manufacturers hope to monetize user data and collect a percentage from streaming service providers. Wifi isn't configured on my smart TV or UHD disk player, and I only occasionally plug in an ethernet cable to check for firmware updates. Otherwise, they remain offline, just like the old days.

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Cheap" is whatever's in stock at the thrift store: Lots of BluRay players in my area from the usual suspects: Sony, Samsung, LG, etc.

Only need a 4K player if you own or plan on getting 4K UHD disks. There's also a class of 2K BluRay players which can upscale to 4K resolution, but that's not necessary, since TVs generally incorporate their own upscalers.

Players typically incorporate Too Much Stuff, but you can ignore these features. Pretty sure these are "free" because manufacturers hope to monetize user data and collect a percentage from streaming service providers. Wifi isn't configured on my smart TV or UHD disk player, and I only occasionally plug in an ethernet cable to check for firmware updates. Otherwise, they remain offline, just like the old days.
Now that's good info. I have an old Sharp player that works fine but it won't fit under my TV so It's been on a shelf for like 5 years.

Thanks.

Adaboy4z

I second the used market. I picked up a Marantz DVD player from 2001 for free last week. Right day at the thrift store. It has a good reputation for CD playback. It sounds and plays brand new.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like Oppo and they are all simple and thin.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
My 2 cents: I have a panasonic bluray that has proved to be virtually indestructible. Its menus are oldfashioned, but it's quiet in operation, which ime is important. If my bluray player dies I would again choose based on quietness in operation.

Edit: I read online more than once that the sony x700 and x800 are one of the quieter players for a reasonable price. Still 240 though. Maybe 2nd hand will get you one under 100.

Edit2: if you only need to play 1080p maybe the sony s6700 would fulfill your needs. This player is around 100.

Last edited:

Tom C

Major Contributor
Do you have to worry about region for concert videos? I bought some blu-ray movies from the UK, and my Sony wouldn’t play them. I couldn’t watch them until I ripped them to a hard drive.

Top Bottom