• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap DAC with XLR and Auto Switching

oscar_mayer_wiener

Hi guys,
I am currently planning a new HiFi Setup and a bit unsure about my options regarding DACs. I already have selected Raspberry Pi4 and Sabaj A20a and now I am looking at the best way to connect the two.
Here's my wishlist apart from soundquality:
Auto-Standby
Auto-Switching, since I also want to use my TV with the Setup
XLR output
Price in the 200 Euro Range

I thought that the smsl m300 mk2 or Loxjie La Qxd might fit the bill, but it does not have the auto features I am looking for. I have also checked the Topping range, but the ones with XLR are out of my price range.

Do you have any further suggestions or will I have to make a compromise if I don't want to exceed the budget?

D

Deleted member 43441

Maybe not exactly in your price range, but I can recommend the Topping D30 pro DAC, and I feel this gives me at least 90% of what the Topping D90 DAC has to offer, but there is no Bluetooth.

OP
O

oscar_mayer_wiener

Thanks for the suggestions, the E50 actually has the auto features I am looking for, but I checked for balanced RCA to XLR cables and got nowhere. So, if I get cables like these, I can use the balanced port? https://www.amazon.de/EBXYA-Stecker...6&sprefix=trs+to+xlr+kabel+kurz,aps,92&sr=8-4

At 270, it's also more expensive than I wanted, but it would be ok. The 400 for the D30 pro are way out of my range, even though it's really nice. In your opinion, does the balanced port justify the 100 euro plus compared to the E30?

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
I checked for balanced RCA to XLR cables and got nowhere
I think you'll have better luck searching for "trs xlr cable".

In your opinion, does the balanced port justify the 100 euro plus compared to the E30?
Well, if you're asking about sound quality from the DAC then the answer is no. Where a balanced interconnect between the E50 and your Sabaj A20a could be very beneficial is if you have ground loops; balanced interconnects will almost always resolve that issue. So the extra €100 is more like an insurance policy. There's also the flexibility with having two sets of output (RCA and balanced TRS) so you could drive a stereo amp (or powered speakers) from one and a headphone amp from the other.

Top Bottom