• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap DAC Preamp that measures well

herculepirate

Hello
My Processor that I use for Home Stereo listening has crapped out and was hoping if there is any suggestions on DAC Preamp
- Must have XLR Outs
- Must Measure well.
- Must have USB DAC option
- XLR digital in optional
- Must have SPDIF digital in

I need a preamp while my Processor is being repaired.
Any suggestions please.

radix

Major Contributor
It's a headphone amp/preamp, but it has all your bullets (except balanced AES) and costs $350. Topping EX5. I suspect you can use an XLR to RCA converter if you need that input, though you lose the noise immunity. It's not quite as good as the M500, but it's less expensive and just a small bit worse measuring.

Pugsly

It's a headphone amp/preamp, but it has all your bullets (except balanced AES) and costs $350. Topping EX5. I suspect you can use an XLR to RCA converter if you need that input, though you lose the noise immunity. It's not quite as good as the M500, but it's less expensive and just a small bit worse measuring.
Pfft, a mere 118 sinad compared to 121? I need to be sure that unicorn farts are inaudible during full moons when facing directly north and Mars is in recession...

radix

Major Contributor
Pfft, a mere 118 sinad compared to 121? I need to be sure that unicorn farts are inaudible during full moons when facing directly north and Mars is in recession...

You know, I was watching a video about the history of amplifiers used by the Beatles. The guy shows the insides, lists all the tubes and speakers and such; generally nerding out. Anyway, I'm sure all that equipment had terrible measurements by today's standards, but everyone still loves the music and vocals. Hmm, maybe someone complained about 3HD on Rubber Soul? I doubt it. To your comment, after some point improved measurements don't really mean anything.

Wunderphones

How about https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-m500-mkii-review-dac-hp-amp.29468/ ?
No XLR in, but seems to hit all of the requirements, and moreover includes remote and headphone out, all while measuring top 8 of all DACs and for $440...
I have the MkI version, and bought it specifically because I wanted a DAC that could act in this digital preamp role.

I wish it was easier to change inputs. Input change is a menu item accessed through the rotary encoder; I would much prefer a dedicated dial or switch. But everything else about it is great.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Especially if you are running subs, the miniDSP Flex is $550 with balanced I/O meets the requirements on your list and also has crossovers, DSP, and can run Dirac if you want.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't the Flex have only SE outs?
There is a balanced version with TRS outputs. You can make or buy TRS to XLR cables. don't think the flex is shipping yet (at least my preorder hasn't shipped)

radix

Major Contributor
Of course the least expensive route is to ebay whatever preamp you want -- go crazy, get a Matrix Audio or a Benchmark or an RME or a D90se or whatever. Use it for a month or two, then re-ebay it. Your cost is the net difference. The key thing here is to buy something with demand so when you re-sell it, it goes quickly around the price you paid for it. Buy low, sell high, or at least don't do the opposite.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There is a balanced version with TRS outputs. You can make or buy TRS to XLR cables. don't think the flex is shipping yet (at least my preorder hasn't shipped)
Correct. I ordered the balanced TRS version and will be using some TRX to XLR cables to my sub amp. The Flex just started shipping. They are fulfilling orders in the order they were placed. Details are in the miniDSP Flex thread. Somebody who ordered 12/15 just got a shipping notification. I ordered a week ago and have not yet.

alpha_logic

retrograde:)

Last edited:

kiwifi

Top Bottom