• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap chinese DAC/amp, can this be any good for a AKG K240?

andreimachado

I'm looking for a cheap DAC/amp only for music listening, as for the moment even Behringer gear is a little overpriced. My headphone is an AKG K240 (55ohms). My currently DAC is a Behringer UM-2.

I've found this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000460651872.html

These are some specs:

Distortion: THD + N: 0.006% (RL> 10kΩ)
SNR: ≥102db
Dynamic Range: ≥102db
Frequency Response: 16,24 Bit 32k, 44.1k, 48k, 96,192khz
Earphone Impedance/Output Power:
16ohm/281mW
32ohm/222mW
64ohm/144mW
300ohm/38mW

I'm willing to try it, as long as the specs means in theory that the AKG K240 will be reasonably loud in it. Will it be worse, same, or better than the UM-2?

Anyone can tell from those specs if thats the case?

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What is it that you don't like with your current gear?

OP
A

andreimachado

What is it that you don't like with your current gear?

Nothing, just looking for a cheaper alternative for the future. In case my UM-2 breaks it will be harder to replace as its price almost doubled in the last couple of years in my country (no reason why apparently) and I don't think its worth it for how much it is now.

twsecrest

Nothing, just looking for a cheaper alternative for the future. In case my UM-2 breaks it will be harder to replace as its price almost doubled in the last couple of years in my country (no reason why apparently) and I don't think its worth it for how much it is now.
I'm guessing(?) it will drive the 55-Ohm K240.....how well?
Have you tried plugging the K240 directly into your motherboard?

dunkuk

That Aliexpress one is powerful, if it is true then it will be louder than the Behringer I think. The problem is is the DAC good or not? and is the design good or not? very hard to know, maybe you can find a review of it and check.

twsecrest

That Aliexpress one is powerful, if it is true then it will be louder than the Behringer I think. The problem is is the DAC good or not? and is the design good or not? very hard to know, maybe you can find a review of it and check.
No real specs list for the DAC chip, it might be an older 16-bit/44.1k or 16-bit/48k DAC chip (which some of them do sound decent).
Could not find any reviews, at least not in english.

Top Bottom