• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap but reliable device for storing and streaming music through JDS Element II or similar?

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
I imagine this has been covered, but am not having any luck searching! Looking for a way to stream amazon music and store/play FLACS as a portable alternative for using my phone. Any suggestions? Would a Kindle Fire HD 10 work? Thanks!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I imagine this has been covered, but am not having any luck searching! Looking for a way to stream amazon music and store/play FLACS as a portable alternative for using my phone. Any suggestions? Would a Kindle Fire HD 10 work? Thanks!
Yes it would. But my experience of the Kindle Fire range is underpowered. But this was a few generations ago. Its not going to be bit perfect to the DAC as Android (and the Kindle derivative) will resample to 48khz before the DAC but should be no different to Amazon music app running on an android phone to the DAC.

I think the amazon music app will handle your onboard FLAC files too

Robin L

Master Contributor
A small laptop would be about as portable as a big Kindle, more practical as well. My Acer Aspire 5 [$350] works just fine, has a 512gb flash drive for my sound files.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LGv10 with android audio player pro installed? It's about $120 -$150 used on Amazon.
The LGv10 has a microsd card slot so you can buy a 256gb microsd card and load all your music on it. You can use the built in DAC/amp with an honest to God headphone jack. Or use Android audio player pro to send bitperfect audio out of the USB port to an external dac. You can even replace the battery on it yourself.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
LGv10 with android audio player pro installed? It's about $120 -$150 used on Amazon.
The LGv10 has a microsd card slot so you can buy a 256gb microsd card and load all your music on it. You can use the built in DAC/amp with an honest to God headphone jack. Or use Android audio player pro to send bitperfect audio out of the USB port to an external dac. You can even replace the battery on it yourself.

I think OP was wedded to Amazon music, which wont play through USB audio player pro (Think thats what you mean by Android Audio Player Pro?). But for local files , Tidal or Qobuz your suggestion works a treat. Plus you can get a fully fledged PEQ add on for UAPP for about $5!

Robin L

Master Contributor
Thanks! What does Android Audio Player Pro add to the equation?
Don't know, don't use it. Stream Amazon Music frequently. Use APO EQ feeding Topping E/L 30, that drives my headphones, doubles as a preamp to my Yamaha AVR. I can stream via my Moto smartphone to the Topping combo, but it's easier on the laptop and if I want really portable music, I have a nice little DAP loaded with a 512 gb micro sd card.

OP
B

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor

Thanks! What does Android Audio Player Pro add to the equation? How is the DSP and can it be used with Amazon music?

OP
B

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
Don't know, don't use it. Stream Amazon Music frequently. Use APO EQ feeding Topping E/L 30, that drives my headphones, doubles as a preamp to my Yamaha AVR. I can stream via my Moto smartphone to the Topping combo, but it's easier on the laptop and if I want really portable music, I have a nice little DAP loaded with a 512 gb micro sd card.
Which DAP do you use?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! What does Android Audio Player Pro add to the equation? How is the DSP and can it be used with Amazon music?

Enables you to pass music bit perfect to a DAC and use the apps built in EQ then pass to the DAC- but no, it doesnt support Amazon Music- Tidal or Qobuz and local files only (plus some others like Google Play?)

Of course, its not bit perfect if you use the EQ - but horses for courses. Its a great app- it exists to circumvent Android's own pretty crap control over external DACs

Robin L

Master Contributor
Which DAP do you use?
Fiio M3K, think it's been replaced by the M3 Pro. It's high on fidelity but low in power, so it needs to be used with efficient headphones, like the AKG K371s in the picture:

IMG_20210108_055650164.jpg

This DAP will play most any kind of file [I'm using Apple Lossless, have I-Tunes on the laptop]. Controls are a little rough but it retails at $69 USD. The micro sd card was a little more than that. It holds about 1600 albums worth of music.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What's your use case? Headphones on the go or something in the home or at the office?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
B

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
How about the LGV10 as a straight up DAP? It has a headphone jack, microsd card slot and a decent DAC and amp. I don't know the actual specs on the amp for a 600ohm headphone but per Amir's review of the G7 ThinQ the phone adaptively adjusts power to the impedance of the headphones.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-measurement-of-lg-g7-thinq-smartphone.4468/
How about the LGV10 as a straight up DAP? It has a headphone jack, microsd card slot and a decent DAC and amp. I don't know the actual specs on the amp for a 600ohm headphone but per Amir's review of the G7 ThinQ the phone adaptively adjusts power to the impedance of the headphones.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-measurement-of-lg-g7-thinq-smartphone.4468/

Thanks! would you expect the LGV10 to make the headphones sound their best? I still don't have a handle on how to tell what specs have to be met to ensure max performance...

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can look at Amirs index of headphone DAC and Amps and see where the G7 lines up..it should be similar.

WDitters

FYI Just for those stumbling onto this thread. Amazon Fire HD 10 Plus + USB Audio Player Pro out to an external DAC/AMP works fine, including streaming bitperfect 24/192 from Qobuz, full MQA unfolding from Tidal and Native DSD512 .... My Questyle CMA Fifteen did with every format streamed via UAPP properly identify and play the music stream at its correct resolution .....

Note: I opted for this solution as the Fire HD 8/10 Plus are the only Android based tablets supporting wireless QI charging. This allows for simultaneously charging and streaming digital bitperfect audio over USB-C to an external DAC. See below 3 examples of DSD128, DSD512 and MQA leds properly identifying the stream

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-11-02 at 13.13.28.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-11-02 at 13.13.28.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20220830_151626.jpg
    20220830_151626.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 31
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-11-02 at 13.15.56.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-11-02 at 13.15.56.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Top Bottom