• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap but decent 250W+ 8ohm sub amp?

WinWiz

My old but much beloved dynaudio sub500 won't turn on anymore :-(
I fear a repair will be rather expensive so I'm looking at alternative plate amps. The 12" driver is 8ohms and I believe the defective amp was 250W.
My budget is tight and the 8ohm driver seems to limit the options.
My denon x3700h with audyssey will time allign and equalize the sub so I don't need an amp with dsp.
The Earthquake BA-550 amp is within my budget and seems to fit my power requirements. But it does seems a bit tiny compared with the original dynaudio amp...
I know it's an old design and I can't find any reviews of the BA-550.
So I would really like to hear experience/opinions from other user on this forum.
I would also like to know about alternative affordable amps suited to replace the defective dynaudio amp.
I'm living in Denmark but don't mind ordering from other EU countries.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Another consideration is an external amp, a pro amp can do well (and leave the old plate amp in place). Plate amps might come with some sort of dsp built in, too so keep that in mind. 8 ohm is a bit unusual for a sub let alone being disclosed at all....how did you find out it is an 8 ohm model? Seen an actual impedance graph?

OP
W

WinWiz

I recently upgrade from 5.1 to 7.1.4
Installed 4 ceiling speakers, 2 in-wall speakers and purchased the denon x3700h.
Plan was to temporarily reuse the old yamaha receiver to drive the rear height speakers, until I could afford a decent 2/3 channel power amp.
Installing the 9 channel denon I discovered the missing sound from my subwofer.
So as a temporary solution I removed the plate amp. So my old yamaha receiver now powers both sub + rear height channels. The yamaha actually handles this surprisingly well!
The 8ohm is measured DC resistance. I guess it could also be a dual vc 4+4 ohm driver but I don't think Dynaudio use dvc drivers...
The denon runs way hotter than my old yamaha so today I ordered a
IMG Stageline STA-400D PA. I plan to drive my dynaudio dm 3/7 front speakers with the STA-400D.
So my hifi budget for 2022 is maxed out and I don't have much space left in the living room for additional amps.

staticV3

Master Contributor
From the owners manual:
Screenshot_20220313-001854_Drive.jpg
DC resistance and AC impedance can differ.

Last edited:
OP
W

WinWiz

I know DC resistance doesn't equal ac impedance but I have measured quite a few different dynaudio drivers and their 4 ohm drivers always measured bellow 4 ohms.
Is it possible dynaudio specified the amp power at 4 ohms but actually used a 8 ohm driver?

Anyway what mono/bridgable stereo amp would you recommend if I can't spend more than 200€ ?

Last edited:
OP
W

WinWiz

Looking carefully I discovered a blown fuse inside the 230v socket.
So I replaced the fuse and all seems fine :)

Top Bottom