• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap analog electronic crossover

Sokel

Master Contributor
I've been playing lately with a very cheap analog 2-in/4-out analog crossover.
Is somehow DIY but very easy to fix.
To my surprise it measures very decently!
(note that has been measured with the worst possible conditions,long cables soldered just to see,adapters,noisy PSU and by someone totally newbie in measurements-me)

20220922_154818.jpg

(the conditions)

Despite all that...

L-R Low.PNG

Low's

L-R High.PNG

High's

slope.PNG

Decent slope

If there is any interest I can put the link later.
Point is that are solutions that don't require lots of money and 30 euros is nothing to ask for such performance.

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
Do they sell them with different xover frequencies?

OP
Sokel

Sokel

Master Contributor
Do they sell them with different xover frequencies?
Yes,you select every freq you want on checkout.
You also have a choise to power it with a simple transformer,you don't need the 15-0-15 version which I got if you like.
There are also 3-way,1-way,etc.

Reactions: MCH
OP
Sokel

Sokel

Master Contributor
For the friends who want to cross subs,take a look at the low's.

low.PNG

Totally decent.

OP
Sokel

Sokel

Master Contributor
Link please?

(I will also add it in the first post,it ships from Israel)

Edit: I asked them to not solder the stereo pots as I wanted to put trimpots for every channel so I have freedom of adjusting them.

OP
Sokel

Sokel

Master Contributor
That's with a little care and a hand made double LM7815 (that was what I had in the drawer,the old DIY way to get 15-0-15V) in an old case:

Xover1.PNG

...and with a lot of averages to reveal every little spike:

xover.PNG

That's the cleaner I could get it so far.

Edit:
Note that all measurements are in dbfs scale,not dbA.It would be better will the later.

Last edited:

hdw

That's with a little care and a hand made double LM7815 (that was what I had in the drawer,the old DIY way to get 15-0-15V) in an old case:

View attachment 233526

...and with a lot of averages to reveal every little spike:

View attachment 233527

That's the cleaner I could get it so far.

Edit:
Note that all measurements are in dbfs scale,not dbA.It would be better will the later.
Hi Sokel! Was wondering if you still are using the Motronix crossover you talk about here and what your experience has been. If positive I'm considering using one on a Martin Logan Sequel II................

OP
Sokel

Sokel

Master Contributor
Hi Sokel! Was wondering if you still are using the Motronix crossover you talk about here and what your experience has been. If positive I'm considering using one on a Martin Logan Sequel II................
I use (or to tell the truth,play) with several and this little thing has proved to be really nice with a little extra care.
A basic well made PSU,a case to shield it a little and voila:

little x over low.PNG

Noise went down by a good margin,basically as transparent as it can be.
(it must be even better than it looks at the measurement cause these are the limits of the DAC part of the loopback )

There are even nicer models of motronix as I had a look which they don't cost much more,consider those as an option as well (never had one in hand to measure but it seems these guys know what they're doing and they are dirt cheap too) .

OP
Sokel

Sokel

Master Contributor
Last edited:

Roland68

Major Contributor
They report close to 90db THD (no noise figure reported).
I think asking price (close to 150 euro for 2 in-4 out along with the phase shift board if I got it right) is too much for what it gives.
I would just buy the circuit boards for around €50 and assemble them myself.

Can you change the crossover frequencies yourself with the MCRS-2BI2/3?

OP
Sokel

Sokel

Master Contributor
I would just buy the circuit boards for around €50 and assemble them myself.

Can you change the crossover frequencies yourself with the MCRS-2BI2/3?
Theoretically yes,but it needs soldering,etc.
If you want to play around with variables consider Marchand boards as well,the ones I have measured just maxed at the limit of my ancient measuring interface and they have lots of options too (but not as cheap,about 100$ each the unpopulated boards and you will need 3 for a 3 way) .
Another good option is the ones another friend posted in this thread but they report some strange specs in the 80db SINAD area which must be wrong,the parts used are really good.

If you're about to do it yourself I would certainly try the one you posted,lots of options.If only we could measure it,I don't worry about distortion but noise (not in the specific one,I mean in general)

Roland68

Major Contributor
Theoretically yes,but it needs soldering,etc.
If you want to play around with variables consider Marchand boards as well,the ones I have measured just maxed at the limit of my ancient measuring interface and they have lots of options too (but not as cheap,about 100$ each the unpopulated boards and you will need 3 for a 3 way) .
Another good option is the ones another friend posted in this thread but they report some strange specs in the 80db SINAD area which must be wrong,the parts used are really good.

If you're about to do it yourself I would certainly try the one you posted,lots of options.If only we could measure it,I don't worry about distortion but noise (not in the specific one,I mean in general)
Soldering is no problem and thanks for the other recommendations.
Analogue active crossovers seem to be a very small market, especially in the cheaper and DIY range.

There used to be various crossover boards/PCBs on eBay from KMtech in the UK, but apparently they no longer ship to Germany.

OP
Sokel

Sokel

Master Contributor
Soldering is no problem and thanks for the other recommendations.
Analogue active crossovers seem to be a very small market, especially in the cheaper and DIY range.

There used to be various crossover boards/PCBs on eBay from KMtech in the UK, but apparently they no longer ship to Germany.
I tried a couple of countries in Europe and they do send it from here https://www.ebay.com/str/kmtechdesign
Otherwise there's must be a third-party service to do that for you for a small fee if I remember well.

They seem nice.

JohnnyNG

For an idiot with little electronics knowledge (asking for a friend), might it be possible to post links to what would be needed to get it working?

OP
Sokel

Sokel

Master Contributor
For an idiot with little electronics knowledge (asking for a friend), might it be possible to post links to what would be needed to get it working?
For the specific one a regulated PSU like this (I choose this so you don't have to g elsewhere) and a transformer (link describes what trafo)

For the AC version just a transformer.
In both cases a 2x15V 30VA transformer will be fine (I don't put a link,there's a gazzilion of them,choose according to your wallet)..

Edit:
This one will not even need a transformer and it's on stock,so go for this and the DC version of x-over (the one of this thread,MCRS-2BI3)

Last edited:

hdw

For the specific one a regulated PSU like this (I choose this so you don't have to g elsewhere) and a transformer (link describes what trafo)

For the AC version just a transformer.
In both cases a 2x15V 30VA transformer will be fine (I don't put a link,there's a gazzilion of them,choose according to your wallet)..
Additional "asking for a friend" questions:
Would the DC PSU Motronix sells be quieter than an AC transformer?
Should the PSU be kept separate from the crossover (mounted in a separate box)?
Should the box be metal or is plastic OK?
Are there other considerations for keeping things quiet (hum free etc.)?

Top Bottom