• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap alternatives to speaker stands?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
When I had my KH120 I put them on cinder blocks, something like in the pics below.
Obviously I'm not sure if acoustically it's OK, but they were rock solid lol
What other cheap alternatives to speaker stands do you know? Maybe something cheap from Ikea?
speakerstandafter-8qlvmcqfGuJ3VY49dC6OVnjFh1eq9i14.jpg
cinderblock-speaker-stand.jpg

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks to the debacle in prices of "brown furniture", you can pick up nice, hand-made colonial revival and even period chairs and tables for nothing. Check out estate auctions sites like this:

https://www.nadeausauction.com

You'll also find whole stereo systems, etc. for sale, if you want to fish for parts/classics.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
you can put a wood fascia over the concrete blocks or paint them (as a grad. student, mine were painted black)

they are just fine in terms of SQ

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
2ft concrete edging for the upright, and a paving slab for the base if you need something a little slimmer. I've forgotten which sort of fixing I used.

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here's what I use for speaker stands:
2218768-7acdc89a-revel-f36-high-gloss-black.jpg

:p

Newk Yuler

Milk crates work but my favorite cheap speaker stands are the $25 wood Mainstays 29" bar stools at Walmart. If they're too tall you can easily saw the legs shorter. I'm using them in two systems. I use the soft rubbery shelf/drawer liner also available at Walmart to put between the speakers and the seats of the stools so they stay put. I appreciate effective high value stuff like that when aesthetics aren't especially important. Plus the stools aren't terribly ugly. You can hit them with spray paint if you don't like the cheap gloss wood finish. They sell the paint at Walmart, too. Easy peazy.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Fully-Assembled-29-Natural-Wood-Bar-Stool/37523875

Honken

Subwoofers, if you already have them.
I use my (cylinder shaped) subs as stands due to the funky shape of my listening area. It's probably some sort of sin but it seems to work fine. It is technically not a cheap solution though.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When I had my KH120 I put them on cinder blocks, something like in the pics below.
Obviously I'm not sure if acoustically it's OK, but they were rock solid lol
What other cheap alternatives to speaker stands do you know? Maybe something cheap from Ikea? View attachment 98556View attachment 98557

These are brilliant @Pearljam5000. Super solid and stable, much better than any cheap stand. Gonna suggest this to friends who have standmount speakers :)

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I snagged a nearly perfect pair of JBL L25 Primas, and needed stands for them.
The Bose tulip stands were nice, but stupid pricey, so I found a pair of new, cheap Tulip chairs that had removable bases, and made up an 'interface' plate to fit between them.
They work and look great, but also have decent 'spinny things' (bearings) allowing me to point them anywhere.
Also have 2 molded plastic seats left over I have no use for, but am still thinking about it:)
Yes, I spent (just a bit) more on new grills and stands than the speakers, but....

BTW, just got them fired up for their first comparison with JBL 305s - and they do MUCH better than I'd expected. May just leave them original and buy a nice new little amp for 'em!
Some vintage stuff Just Rocks.
6.jpg5.jpg4.jpg3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
97.7%* of all who were in college or grad school in the seventies have used cinder blocks for loudspeaker stands and/or to build a bookshelf or 'rack' for their high-fidelity installations :)

Milk crates aren't bad, either -- for loudspeaker stands, that is. :cool:

Of course, one loudspeaker can serve as an excellent platform for another, unless that's too meta for you.

DSC_3815 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

And finally, there's the any port in a storm solution to a stat problem. :)

DSC_3856 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Those ELACs have got to be ca. 28 to 30 inches off the floor or they sound really thick, heavy and sloooooooooow. :(

detlev24

I like this guy's DIY approach:

Although, I personally would build all-MDF and paint the stands nicely + add some shock absorbing foam or rubber (mat) below the loudspeakers and rubber (feet) below the stands. :)

Ismapics

I need help finding either a pair of stands or my main system. I could have them made locally, but I rather get a pre-made. One caveat, it has to be a triangle base. No squares.

jonfitch

I don't like most retail speaker stands, I find them too easy to knock over. I also find the top plate on most speaker stands are way too small for larger monitors. Especially if you live in earthquake country, your typical speaker stand looks like a disaster waiting to happen. I usually use plant stands I find at home furnishing stores.

1615844199740.png

Top Bottom