• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ChatGPT to calculate DIY speakers

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why you would ask easy calculations if you know how to design speakers?

Why you would ask that shit if you know every speakersim app has it already build in?
I was simply showing a new tool. If you don’t like it, ignore my post. Besides, you obviously missed the second question on my post, which can be solved by very few software apps. Maybe you didn’t get it, I don’t know.

Meanwhile, do please refrain from being rude. We don’t need profanity on ASR. I’m surprised that you had so many likes when you call a member’s words as “shit”. :mad:

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was simply showing a new tool. If you don’t like it, ignore my post. Besides, you obviously missed the second question on my post, which can be solved by very few software apps. Maybe you didn’t get it, I don’t know.

Meanwhile, do please refrain from being rude. We don’t need profanity on ASR. I’m surprised that you had so many likes when you call a member’s words as “shit”. :mad:
OK, ignore button about to be deployed.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

Relax. No i just called easy, useless questions that you can read every where as shit. Its like please calculate the volume of a speaker thats 80cm high, 50 cm wide and 50cm deep".. thats what i call shit. And now all say wow! it did it, what a great tool.
Btw, i have no reason to like or to diss chatgpt. Iam interested in all new technology. Iam just slow in hyping things.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Besides, you obviously missed the second question on my post, which can be solved by very few software apps.
It solved not that much, it just gave the common sense answer. Ask it why it gave the fs and Q range. I bet it gives some strange answer.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In other words it was correct.
Maybe, it could just as well have been wrong.
Do you talk to your tools?
I could use speech to text to input for ChatGTP, but typing out a question works well enough…

… and yes, I always talk to my tools, mostly it’s cursing when they don’t do what I want ;) … usually it doesn’t help :facepalm:

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe, it could just as well have been wrong.

Agreed, or could be mistaken or misleading. Replying as though it did a simulation (more than once) when it did not, shows it is designed to give a response even if it is a falsehood. ChatGPT is obviously NOT consistently reliable for a technical design task. Maybe someday…

I could use speech to text to input for ChatGTP, but typing out a question works well enough…

… and yes, I always talk to my tools, mostly it’s cursing when they don’t do what I want ;) … usually it doesn’t help :facepalm:

I had a router that was fine for the most part but occasionally would slip and cut deeper than intended. It was a great router until it showed it could not be relied upon for most tasks. I deployed it for circling cutting as deeper cuts were not a major problem. However, if someone else came along and expected that router to perform well, it was likely to fail them badly or it might work fine…

If someone asked about using the router, I might have told them it works fine but to watch out for its quirky behavior. I would be more inclined to tell them it was unreliable. In either case, expect they would not risk using a tool that might not give them a good result. ChatGPT has shown promise but inconsistent reliability. In my shop, ChatGPT gets benched until it is fixed (or replaced).:)

Emlin

Agreed, or could be mistaken or misleading. Replying as though it did a simulation (more than once) when it did not, shows it is designed to give a response even if it is a falsehood. ChatGPT is obviously NOT consistently reliable for a technical design task. Maybe someday…

I had a router that was fine for the most part but occasionally would slip and cut deeper than intended. It was a great router until it showed it could not be relied upon for most tasks. I deployed it for circling cutting as deeper cuts were not a major problem. However, if someone else came along and expected that router to perform well, it was likely to fail them badly or it might work fine…

If someone asked about using the router, I might have told them it works fine but to watch out for its quirky behavior. I would be more inclined to tell them it was unreliable. In either case, expect they would not risk using a tool that might not give them a good result. ChatGPT has shown promise but inconsistent reliability. In my shop, ChatGPT gets benched until it is fixed (or replaced).:)
I fear that the LLM has a lot of problems baked into it but that media hysteria about its capabilities will drive widespread and possibly dangerous use of it without those being addressed.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
OK, ignore button about to be deployed.

Haha, yes quite a reasonable response. That one was sufficiently rude to me a while back (while being wrong at the same time) that a moderator chimed in. Yet easily affronted it seems. I don't really get it.

Elitzur–Vaidman

But fascinating. Thats just one thema.

How about to ask.
What do i need to make a cheap explosive device in my kitchen? And how do they filter that out?

;)
If you read the system card for GPT-4, they put a lot of effort into mitigating such behaviors. "Untuned," GPT-4 readily gave an easy to follow synthesis for thiocyanate using common household supplies.

Foxenfurter

From my perspective ChatGPT is just like having a keen junior (in my case programmer) on my team. The scenario is just the same I have given an outline spec to new starters, they have come back with something that they copied but didn't understand that was vaguely related to the question in hand. The more routine and specific the task, the better the response. As for hallucinating well that is just the same as humans with B.S.

Is it overhyped? Well only if you have unrealistic expectations - which probably means all senior executives in large corporations ...

Koeitje

Major Contributor
As a person who had designed a commercial speaker and an EE I can see that the formulas are correct -- they are very basic formulas anyway - and the calculations are there for you to verify easily. What part you don't trust?
Computerphile threw in some physics questions and while it came up with the right calculation the answer was wrong. Don't know the exact question, but the result was some like 8/2 = 6. It had the 8/2 part correct, but not the result. Don't forget its a language model, not Wolfram Alpha.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If the OP wants to use ChatGPT, the only potential issue is missing an incorrect result and acting upon it. No different than the subjectivist who knows his equipment is flawed and chooses to keep using the product anyway. As long as it is his choice, and does not try to tell others to buy in, I have no objection.

As someone who has a goal to assist other ASR members, I feel it is important that nobody should use the AI without understanding its limitations. As stated, ChatGPT can give flawed answers and does so without proper caveats about the results. Given this, I do not feel it should be recommended for use in speaker design (or any other math-based task).:cool:

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Tangband

Major Contributor
There is nothing to hallucinate as it is giving us formulae and making calculations. They are either correct or wrong. The software is not giving us freeform text that may include "views" and interpretations. Besides, if I am not mistaken, that behaviour was not of ChatGPT but of Microsoft's Bing product, which is based on the v4 of the LLM.
ChatGPT cant calculate a pitch accurate bass reflex box, where the brain hear each tone in an articulate way.
Said in another way - ChatGTP cant decide If I, as a human, likes a total box Q of 0,7 or 0.5 in a specific room.

It can calculate a perfect box within the given TS parameters of the driver, but cant decide what sounds musical or not.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It can calculate a perfect box within the given TS parameters of the driver, but cant decide what sounds musical or not.
Duh! :oops:

What calculation software you know that does that?

D!sco

To be absolutely clear, the "Chat" is separate from "GPT". The Generative Pretrained Transformer only knows what we've already talked about in the loosest sense about speaker building. Someone smart could go under the hood and add a speaker tools plugin, but as it stands I'm capable of convincing GPT of anything. GPT-4 couldn't even divide properly in my testing. I had it help me come up with a recipe and cut it down to a single serving size, which it concluded required the same two cups of rice. I can't imagine any professional having time for GPT without serious understanding of the underlying tools. It's a toy for children right now. Someone smart may implement "Chat" into a program, like Bing did for it's search tools, but there's no guarantee that it will work without under any circumstances without constant professional prodding.

Asking ChatGPT to do simple math is a joke-- why would it do complex math successfully?

radix

Major Contributor
An amazing feature of ChatGPT is how one can ask it to respond in the style of well-known speakers.

Question: please explain how to size a speaker enclosure for a subwoofer driver.

Sizing a speaker enclosure for a subwoofer driver involves determining the optimal internal volume and selecting the appropriate design type. The size and type of enclosure directly impact the performance and sound quality of the subwoofer. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to size a speaker enclosure for a subwoofer driver:
  1. Determine the Thiele/Small parameters: Obtain the Thiele/Small parameters for the subwoofer driver you intend to use. These parameters describe the driver's electrical and mechanical characteristics, such as the resonant frequency (Fs), the driver's compliance (Cms), and the total Q factor (Qts).
  2. Determine the desired low-frequency response: Decide on the desired low-frequency response you want to achieve. This includes the lower -3 dB frequency (F3), which represents the subwoofer's cutoff point.
  3. Select the enclosure type: Choose the type of enclosure you want to use based on your requirements and available space. The most common types are sealed enclosures, ported enclosures (also known as bass reflex), and bandpass enclosures.
  4. Calculate the internal volume: The internal volume of the enclosure depends on the chosen enclosure type. Here are the calculations for the different types:
  • Sealed Enclosure: For a sealed enclosure, you can use the following formula to calculate the internal volume (Vb): Vb = (Qtc / Qts) * Vas Qtc is the desired total Q factor of the enclosure, and Vas is the driver's equivalent compliance volume.
  • Ported Enclosure: Ported enclosures have a tuning frequency (Fb) and require additional calculations. Use the following formula to calculate the internal volume (Vb): Vb = (Qtc / Qts) * Vas * (Fb / Fs)^2 Fb is the tuning frequency, which determines the port length and diameter.
  • Bandpass Enclosure: Bandpass enclosures have both a sealed and a ported section. Calculate the sealed and ported volumes separately using the formulas above, and then design the enclosure accordingly.
  1. Fine-tune the design: Once you have the initial internal volume, you can fine-tune the design by considering other factors such as the driver's displacement, bracing, and internal damping materials. These factors can affect the subwoofer's performance and reduce any potential resonances or vibrations.
  2. Build the enclosure: With the finalized design, construct the speaker enclosure using suitable materials like MDF (Medium-Density Fiberboard) or plywood. Ensure the enclosure is sturdy and well-sealed to minimize air leaks and unwanted vibrations.
It's worth noting that the above steps provide a general guideline, but designing an enclosure requires some expertise and may involve additional considerations based on your specific goals and the characteristics of the subwoofer driver you're using. Consulting specialized resources, software, or seeking assistance from experienced audio professionals can further enhance the design process.

Yeah, that was kind of dry and boring....

Question: Could you restate that like how william faulkner would
In the pursuit of sizing a speaker enclosure for a subwoofer driver, one must delve into the intricate realm of acoustics, where the art of harmonious sound finds its dwelling. Much like an architect crafting the dimensions of a structure, we embark upon a journey of sonic composition. Let us traverse the steps that guide us through this endeavor:

Firstly, one must acquaint oneself with the Thiele/Small parameters, those elusive descriptors of electrical and mechanical properties that illuminate the essence of the subwoofer driver. These enigmatic figures, such as the resonant frequency and compliance, unlock the door to understanding.

Next, a quest for the desired low-frequency response ensues—a symphonic yearning for that ideal resonance to permeate the air. This encompasses the profound -3 dB frequency, the point at which the subwoofer's sonic prowess subsides.

Now, the time has come to select the encasement type, for it shall be the vessel that houses our sonic opus. Whether a sealed sanctuary, a ported refuge, or a realm of bandpass resonance, the choice reverberates with purpose.

Calculate, we must, the internal volume—an essential dimension entwined with the chosen enclosure type. Consider the sealed enclosure, where the formula's embrace reveals the internal volume's magnitude. Or venture into the ported enclosure's domain, where the tuning frequency's dance with the driver's essence unfolds. For the bandpass enclosure, a dual realm awaits, the sealed and ported sections each claiming their rightful domain.

With the foundation set, refine the design, attend to the subtleties that shape the soundscape. Account for the driver's displacement, fortify with bracing, and imbue the chamber with internal damping materials. These intricacies, delicate as the whispering breeze, ensure the subwoofer's performance, guarding against unruly resonances and wayward vibrations.

In the realm of craftsmanship, the moment arrives to manifest the design into tangible existence. Assemble the enclosure, employing materials of strength and resonance. MDF, the instrument of choice, or perhaps the venerable plywood. Let not air leaks nor wayward vibrations tarnish the manifestation—solidity and precision shall be the guiding principles.

Yet, dear seeker of sonic beauty, know that the path unveiled is but a mere approximation, a guidepost through the melodic labyrinth. Expertise and bespoke considerations, as espoused by the luminaries of audio mastery, might illuminate the path further. Consult specialized resources, wield software as your melodic wand, or summon the aid of sagacious audio artisans who navigate this realm with deft hands.

Thus, may your sonic tapestry find its rightful resonance, a manifestation that echoes the spirit of Faulkner's prose, where each vibration sways with the grace of words woven into melodies.

D!sco

william faulkner
Mmmmm, delicious.

This is what it's actually good at. It might as well be writing the cliffnotes of an existing text. Someone used a plugin to ask the same questions Patrick Bateman over on DIYAudio did about directivity which revealed GPT's sources. GPT was only referencing Bateman's extensive posts from 2021 and previous. This means he was more or less asking himself questions. Incredibly recursive, and equally useless. It's other assumptions turned out to be hallucinations IIRC.

I can't wait for it to be a legitmately useful tool, but it's a fantasy right now for almost all applications. It makes a pretty good editor, though. I don't have it write anything, but it points out things I clearly overlook in my own writings very well.

Top Bottom